Health & Safety

COVID-19 - The CAS Study Away Office continues to monitor the COVID-19 worldwide pandemic. As we navigate through these unprecedented times, we would like to provide the following information to assist with questions students or parents may have due to the evolving COVID-19 (Coronavirus) situation as it pertains to study away programs for fall 2021. Learn more about the University's COVID-19 Preparedness.

Health and Safety are among our highest priorities in the CAS Study Away Office, from selecting and working with our institutional partners around the world, to making available relevant information for students and their families in order to help them to make decisions concerning study and learning away from the Redlands campus.

Student Health Resources

In our efforts to make off-campus study available to all CAS students, we strongly encourage students with diagnosed medical conditions or health concerns to contact their healthcare provider or the Student Health Center to discuss their circumstances and plans to study away plans. Students without pre-existing conditions should also contact their healthcare provider or a travel clinic in order to seek country specific health information, including information on suggested or required immunizations. As appropriate, we also encourage students to contact their mental healthcare providers for confidential support services regarding mental health conditions in order to discuss strategies for their time living and learning off-campus. Creating a personal healthcare plan tailored to an individual’s needs can greatly assist students in planning for successful experiences abroad. 


Students who will be taking medication during their time abroad need to plan ahead. They will need to consult their physician about ensuring that they will have sufficient amount of medication during their full time abroad as medications cannot be shipped. Students will also need to inform themselves about the legality of any prescription or non-prescription medications they plan on taking. Medications legal in the U.S. may be illegal abroad, and students will have any such illegal medications confiscated upon arrival. Students should be sure that any prescriptions are in the original bottle, clearly labeled with the name of the medication as well as the student. Students should also carry a letter from their physician about the authorized prescription as well as copy of the prescription itself. We also recommend that your physician provide you with an additional prescription in the event that you lose or run-out of medication while abroad. You should also research generic names of the medication in the country where you will be studying. Physicians or pharmacists may not be familiar with the prescription, or generic name, so researching what the equivalent is at your destination is also wise practice. Be sure also that you have contacted your pharmacy to ensure that any prescription you order before your departure will be available before you leave. You should arrange for this in advance of the two week window from the time of your departure. You also should contact your insurance carrier about your prescriptions and travel plan for any guidance concerning the purchase of additional medication while abroad. You can and should always check with the organization or university where you will be studying as they can often provide useful related information. Your international insurance carrier is also generally a good source of information and guidance.

Mobility International: Medications When Traveling Internationally

Additional Health Resources

Students should research health and safety information related to the country and region where they will study including from the following sources:

International Health Insurance

All students participating in a University of Redlands study abroad program, whether a semester/year or a short term May Term Travel Course, are required to be enrolled in supplementary international health insurance as contracted by the study abroad office. Those participating in programs where our partners include mandatory international insurance are not enrolled in the U of R contracted insurance, save in circumstances where the partner’s mandatory insurance does not meet U of R minimum coverage requirements for students in a program overseas. Additionally, certain locations where U of R students study require them to enroll in additional national insurance as mandated by municipal, regional, or national policy or law. Three examples where such a national insurance is currently required are Japan, Australia, and New Zealand. Students are still encouraged to maintain enrollment in either a parent or guardian’s primary policy or through an independent policy as the international insurance only provides coverage when the student is overseas and not before or after departure. This is, however, the decision of students and is not required by U of R.

Travel to Countries with a U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory 1-4

Given the critical importance we place on safety, the Study Away Office is guided by the US State Department’s Travel Advisory system, the Overseas Security Advisory Council, a federal council created by the US Secretary of State and co-chaired by the State Department’s Director of Diplomatic Security, the Center for Disease Control and other resources. The Study Away Office is a member of OSAC’s Academic Working Group through which we receive information on local, national and global events on a daily basis. Under the current Travel Advisory System, the Study Away does not restrict travel as a part of the U of R College of Arts and Sciences study program to locations at the Level 1 or 2 Advisory Levels, minus in the event of specific localized circumstances. Level 3 and 4 programs are generally not approved but may be permitted under certain circumstances (like COVID) and only with the approval of the CAS Dean and/or Cabinet level Administrative leadership. 

Travel Safety Resources