Getting Started

Step 1: Attend a Study Away Information Session

With over 60 semester programs and 8-15 May Term travel courses to choose from, the process of figuring out what program would work best for you can feel overwhelming.

By attending a study away information session you learn about the different approved semester and May Term study away program opportunities, the application process and timeline, costs of study away, how to fund the experience and much more.

List of upcoming study away information sessions can be found on our Events page.

Step 2: Meet with Advisors to Discuss Your Options

You should meet with your academic advisor(s) to discuss when the best time to study away is for your major/minor/emphasis, understand what types of courses you should look to take while studying away and talk about possible study away programs. As part of the U of R semester study away application process, you will need to submit a Study Away Academic Advisor Approval Form signed by your advisor.

You can also meet with CAS Study Away staff and/or study away ambassadors to learn more about our program offerings, study away scholarship/grant opportunities, the application process and to get any study away questions answered.

Book an appointment with CAS Study Away staff today!


Step 3: Complete the Study Away Application Process

May Term Travel Courses

May Term travel course offerings vary from year to year and the list of current offerings is updated each September. May Term travel course enrollment takes place from September to mid-October and is managed by the course faculty leader.  You should contact the course faculty leader directly for more details about their application and enrollment process for the course. 

Semester-Long Programs

For semester-long programs, click on the program you would like to apply to from our list of approved programs. If the program is currently accepting applications, you will see an apply now button. Fall and spring semester study away program applications are open from early September to early December. You must apply a year in advance of going abroad.  


Step 4: Confirm That You Have a Valid Passport

You are required to have a valid passport to study away on programs outside the U.S. Your passport must be valid for at least six months after the end date of your program. Resources for how to apply for or renew a passport can be found here. Passport processing times have increased substantially (routine service is taking up to 13 weeks and expedited service can take up to 9 weeks). Apply now if you need a new passport.