OP trips are open to all students, faculty, staff and administration. No prior experience is necessary. So, if you want to try a new, outdoor activity, reconnect with the wilderness, or simply connect with a new group of fellow adventurers, OP trips are for you.
Watch this website for news about upcoming trips. For more consistent updates follow us on Instagram @outdoor_programs! You can also find trip details in our weekly email each Wednesday. Sign up in the Outdoor Programs Rental Shop (Currier Gym, across from the tennis courts). Between one and four trips are usually led every weekend and especially during short-term breaks such as fall or spring break. Once you've registered for the trip, you'll receive detailed information, including packing information.
Outdoor Programs works hard to provide students with opportunities to get outside and explore Southern California. Trips are organized and budgeted to provide discounted financial expense to everyone involved. Additionally, many trips offer scholarships!
OP Trip Leaders come from diverse backgrounds and are passionate about many different outdoor pursuits. They receive training in outdoor skills, logistics and risk management, interpersonal development, and much more. Many have a minimum of a Wilderness First Responder certification and attend regular Trip Leader trainings and workshops. All leaders are current students at the University of Redlands
Most Outdoor Programs trips are student planned and student led. If you would like to develop your leadership skills and become a facilitator on some amazing outdoor adventures, then you could be part of the OP Trip Leader team. Applications are available mid-semester and for an apprenticeship the following semester.
1. Visit Outdoor Programs and sign up for a trip, where you can experience and see firsthand what leadership is all about.
2. Attend an OP Meet and Greet Information session.
4. Submit a trip leader application.
OP Trip Leaders experience many benefits. As a leader, you can:
• Plan trips where you want to go and do what you want to do.
• Get amazing summer or post-college jobs that allow you to travel and spend time outside.
• Earn discounted rates on trips, courses and equipment.
• Meet interesting people and see amazing places.
• Be a part of a community of outdoor leaders.
• Attend leadership conferences.
• Attend clinics and workshops, which help solidify your own outdoor skills, knowledge, and character.
• Lead incoming freshmen on First Year Journeys.
Simple! We offer affordable, fun and rewarding team-building trips for clubs, organizations, athletic teams, residence halls and other groups. OP can help you organize anything from activities on campus to overnight wilderness backpacking trips and more. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.