Employment Options Under the F-1 Visa

The following links provide information on the types of training options for students with an F-1 visa.

F-1 Curricular Practical Training (CPT) | Study in the States
Type of Practical Training Distinction; Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Training relates directly to the student’s major area of study. Training is an integral part of the school’s established curriculum.

F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT) | Study in the States
F-1 students often want to work. However, employment opportunities are limited and strict rules apply. This document discusses different types of optional practical training (OPT) including required forms, processes, and updating SEVIS.

The following links provide information for F-1 students who plan to work on campus or participate in approved training programs (CPT or OPT).

Obtaining a Social Security Number | Study in the States
The Social Security Administration (SSA) assigns nine-digit Social Security numbers (SSNs) to U.S. citizens, permanent residents and eligible nonimmigrant workers in the United States. SSA uses SSNs to report wages to the government, track Social Security benefits and for other identification purposes. Every F and M student who U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) grants employment authorization to needs an SSN.

Driving in the United States | Study in the States
F and M students, and their dependents, may be eligible to drive a motor vehicle while residing in the United States. However, those who wish to operate a vehicle must successfully apply for and receive a driver’s license. Driving a car without a driver’s license is illegal. To acquire a driver’s license, you must apply for one at your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).