Thank you for your interest in the University of Redlands School of Business & Society International Programs. Below are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about our programs.

School of Business Study Abroad: Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to pay a deposit to secure my place on a trip?

To secure your place on one of our programs, we’ll need a deposit in the form of a credit card payment of $500. This deposit will be applied toward payment of your program travel costs. Please note that the deposit is refundable up to 90 days prior to trip departure. After that time, the deposit is non-refundable.

What forms do I need to submit?

You will need to complete and submit a "Registration Packet" in order to secure your place in the program of your choice (Note: there are separate packets for Graduate and Undergraduate students, as well as for Alumni/Guests).

Please indicate the global business or capstone course you will be substituting for your study abroad course. Please enter your name on the registration form as it appears (or will) appear on your passport. If you do not have a current passport (one that does not expire within 6 months of the travel dates), please work on getting that ASAP.

Does study abroad substitute for one of my core courses?

Yes, study abroad will typically replace your international business course or your capstone course:

  • If you are an undergraduate, study abroad will substitute for BUSB 342 (International Business), BUSB 485 (Capstone), or an elective course.
  • If you are an MBA student, study abroad will substitute for BUAD 655 (Global Environment for Business) or the global business course within your emphasis (FINC 662W, GSIB 692W, INTB 693W, ISYS 680W, INTB 694W) or your capstone course (BUAD 696).
  • If you are an MSOL student, study abroad replaces MGMT 636 (Leadership Communication).

How much do the programs cost?

Travel costs are not usually finalized until about three months prior to departure and are dependent on location and duration of the program.  Land only travel costs for European programs typically run between $2,500-$3,500, while Asian and Latin American programs are typically less than $3,000. Costs fluctuate due to currency exchange rates and fuel surcharges.

What do program travel fees include?

All domestic airfare, bus and coach passes, hotel accommodations, tour fees, lectures, corporate visits, and some of your meals. Students need to bring money for meals, souvenirs, and for personal sightseeing excursions that are not included in the travel program. (Note: Because these program costs are "Land Only," participants are responsible for air and ground transportation from and to LAX (or other U.S. airport) and the foreign destination. Participants also arrange their own transportation to the lodging location where the program begins and back home from the lodging location where the program ends.

The School of Business can provide a recommended travel agent to assist with bookings, and faculty flight itineraries will be communicated if you would like to travel with faculty members.

Can I bring a friend or relative?

Yes, we encourage our students to bring family members and/or friends (must be at least 16 years old or with approval of the program director). The travel costs will be the same for your guest, but of course they will not have to pay tuition. They may attend all program activities, including lectures/corporate visits, but are not required to do so. 

When is the first payment due?

A $500 deposit is due at time of registration to secure your place on one of our study abroad programs. Additional payments are due approximately three months and 45 days prior to departure, depending on the program. You may pay for the travel costs in full at any time prior to departure.

Are there travel scholarships available?

Yes, please view our Scholarships Page for more information.

Are there classes I will attend?

Beginning two to three months prior to departure, we will conduct mandatory pre-departure workshops. One of these is typically held on a Saturday at the University of Redlands Main Campus. The other workshops are conducted virtually.  We will notify you of the pre-departure workshop dates as they are set. Usually we hold one session at 60 or more days from departure, one 30-45 days out and one about two to three weeks before departure.

Can I scan or email the registration form?

We have an automated registrations system so you are able to complete your registration online. 

Do I need health insurance?

Yes. If you do not have health insurance which will cover you while abroad, you will need to purchase a two-week travel policy. There are many websites that sell travel health insurance (prices vary based on your age).  A Travel Release Form and Medical Release Form will be sent to you after registration, so please note that you will need to gather the required medical insurance information.

When does the travel portion of the program begin?

This varies by program, however each study abroad course will have a detailed itinerary that will be sent to all registered students and guests about three months prior to departure.

Do I make my own flight arrangements?

Yes, you are responsible for making your own international flight arrangements, with the understanding that you will be at the proper locations when the program begins and ends. Since you will be making your own international flight arrangements, you are free to arrive in country a little early or stay a little later once the formal program ends. If you wish to bring a guest, they will travel with you and the group for the entire travel portion of the course. 

The School of Business and Society can provide a recommended travel agent to assist with bookings, and faculty flight itineraries will be communicated if you would like to travel with faculty members.