FYJ Travel Information and Schedule
What to Know before you Go!
FYJ Virtual Open Houses
Join us for our FYJ Virtual Open Houses! We’re hosting online meetings on the following dates. We will answer your questions and give an overview of the trips and schedule. Sign-up for a meeting by emailing us
, and we will share the online meeting link.
- 9-10 a.m., Wednesday, June 7
- 5-6 p.m., Tuesday, June 27
- 5-6 p.m., Tuesday, July 25
- 5-6 p.m., Wednesday, August 2
First Year Journey Registration and Acceptance Dates
- Friday, March 31, 2023: FYJ 2023 Registration is available. Register for FYJ 2023 now!
- Friday, July 7, 2023: Registrations are due.
- Friday, July 14, 2023: Trip Assignments, pricing, travel information and FYJ paperwork sent via Redlands.edu email to applicants.
- Friday, July 28, 2023: Trip Payment is due.
- Friday, August 4, 2023: All Paperwork due.
First Year Journey On-Campus Dates
- Thursday, August 17, 2023 by 4pm: FYJ Participants arrive and if living on-campus, check in to their residence halls. All FYJ Participants, Trip Leaders and Staff will meet for dinner and evening activities.
- Friday, August 18, 2023: First day of FYJ activities on campus! Introductions and events including pre-trip meetings, equipment checks, and academic connections. Students will be sleeping in their residence halls tonight. Off campus students may go home and return the next morning at designated times.
- Saturday, August 19, 2023: Students embark on their journeys.
- Saturday, August 19 - Wednesday, August 23, 2023: Students on course.
- Wednesday, August 23, 2023: First Year Journey return wrap-up, reflection, and celebration dinner.
- Thursday, August 24, 2023: First Day of New Student Orientation.
Additional Important Logistics
How to Reserve Rental Gear
- Your FYJ acceptance packet will include a list of needed gear and equipment.
- Items on the list marked with an asterisk (*) are available to rent from the Outdoor Programs Rental Shop.
- All rentals are included in your trip costs. However, you will be required to leave a credit card deposit upon pickup.
- Rental gear will be picked up from the Outdoor Programs Rental Shop on the day you arrive on campus.
- If you need to rent gear, contact email@example.com.
Residence Hall Check-in
- All FYJ participants who will live on campus must check into their residence hall and room between 1-4 p.m. on 8/17/2023.
- You'll spend the first two nights in your room before departing for your trip.
- Check-in procedures will be communicated by Residence Life and Housing.
Ontario Airport Shuttles
- Upon acceptance into a scheduled FYJ trip, you'll receive a travel information sheet that contains information about flights and shuttles to campus.
- Several free FYJ shuttles will be available 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. from Ontario Airport to campus on 8/17/2023.