Frequently Asked Questions


How many students are admitted into the bilingual program each year?

There is no limit. Any student who is admitted into our master’s program and who meets the bilingual certificate requirements may earn the certificate.

Is program acceptance mostly based on Spanish abilities and results of the proficiency exam?

Acceptance into the program is based on the same requirements for admission to the general master’s program, plus a stated interest in the bilingual program in the student’s application.  Although proficiency will not be tested until the end of the program, students interested in the bilingual program should have high enough Spanish proficiency to interact with clients and others in a clinical setting, conduct assessments and intervention and meetings in Spanish, and read professional reports written in Spanish.

When do students take the Spanish proficiency test?

Students take the Spanish proficiency test in the last few weeks of the program before graduation.

I am not currently fluent in Spanish, but I hope to become fluent. Can I achieve that goal during the program?

The level of Spanish proficiency required to function as a bilingual service provider is high, and students should be close to that level prior to entering the program and prior to placement in a bilingual practicum. Prospective students should think about study abroad or other methods of improving Spanish proficiency prior to entering the program.

What types of financial aid are available?

At this moment, there is no additional financial aid for bilingual certificate students. Students may apply for federal student loans. In addition, there may be some opportunities for scholarships through external sources.

Are classes offered in the day or evenings?

Required courses are held both during the day and evenings.

Can I attend part time?

The program is full time; we do not offer a part time program.

I already have a master’s degree in speech-language pathology. Can I earn the certificate?

At the present time, we do not offer such a program. Please contact us if you are interested. If there is sufficient interest, we may be able to offer this in the future.

What types of externships are available?

Externships with bilingual supervision are available in public schools. In addition, clinical experiences are available in our campus clinic.