Frequently Asked Questions


Do I have to have a bachelor's degree in the field of communication sciences to apply for the graduate program?

No. To be eligible for the M.S. program, you must have a bachelor's degree in any field and a cumulative GPA of at least a 3.0.

Can I take classes online?

No. All classes are conducted on the main campus in Redlands. The program is a full-time, daytime/evening program. Classes are usually Monday through Thursday. Classes begin as early as 8:00 a.m. and end as late as 9:00 p.m.

What are the prerequisites?

Prior to starting clinical practicum, we require that you take a College level statistics course, 5 core prerequisite classes and have 25 observation hours, signed off by an ASHA Member SLP.

The five core prerequisites are: Speech and Language Science, Audiology and Hearing Science, Anatomy and Physiology, Language Development, and Phonetics and Phonology. These classes can be taken at any other institution, and are usually part of an undergraduate Communication Sciences degree. However, those who have not yet taken these courses can fulfill the requirement by spending one extra year as a Grad Plus student.

How do I complete the prerequisites?

There are 3 ways you can complete the prerequisites.

1) Take these courses at another university,

2) Take a post-baccalaureate program at another university,

3) Take the courses as a graduate student at the University of Redlands as part of your graduate program.

If you take them as a graduate student here, you will be considered a Grad Plus student.

What is a Grad Plus student?

A Grad Plus student is one who will take the 5 prerequisite courses as a graduate student at University of Redlands. The 5 prerequisite courses will be taken in two semesters starting in fall. The Grad Plus program is a 3 year program.

How many years will it take to complete the Master of Science in Communication Sciences and Disorders?

If you are coming into the program with an undergraduate degree in the field of communication sciences or have taken all of the prerequisites, it will take 2 years to complete the program. If you are in the Grad Plus program, it will take 3 years.

How many units and clinical practicum hours are required to complete the program?

60 units and 400 clinical practicum hours are required to complete the graduate program.

When do classes begin?

The 2-year graduate program begins in the fall semester following the application cycle. The Grad Plus program begins in the fall semester following the application cycle.

When is the application cycle?

Each application cycle begins in July (specific date is determined by CSDCAS) and University of Redlands’ deadline is January 15.

How do I apply for the graduate program?

You will apply through the CSDCAS websiteAll documents must be submitted directly to CSDCAS.

Does my application need to be verified by CSDCAS by the deadline to be considered?

YES. Your application must be submitted and verified by the deadline. Your transcripts must be verified by the deadline, so make sure CSDCAS receives them at least 4-6 weeks in advance. Your application is verified once your account states "VERIFIED" (not "Received" or "Complete").

Do I need to take the GRE?

Yes. Scores must be sent directly to CSDCAS from ETS. There is no minimum GRE score requirement.

Where do I send my transcripts?

You must send your transcripts to CSDCAS. Do not send transcripts to University of Redlands.

How do I know when my application is verified?

It is your responsibility to check the status of your CSDCAS application by logging into your CSDCAS account. University of Redlands (Carrie Dahlhauser) will also periodically send emails on what documents you may be missing and when your application appears to be verified. It is still your ultimate responsibility to make sure CSDCAS has all of the documents and verified your transcripts.

What is the timeline for the admissions selection process?

The deadline for your CSDCAS application and Verification is January 15. The Admissions Committee will make decisions in February. Applicants should start receiving notifications by the end of February.

Do I have a chance of being admitted if I'm placed on the waitlist?

Yes. It is typical to offer admission to applicants on the waitlist. We do not offer the ranking order of the waitlist to applicants. If you are still on the waitlist when the class is full, you will be notified via email.

Am I able to work while in the Master's program?

It is extremely difficult to have a job while in the program. The program is a full-time program. You may begin class as early as 8:00 a.m. and end as late as 9:00 p.m., depending on your academic plan, which we will assign to you. You may not ask to change your schedule to accommodate your work schedule.

Is there graduate housing available?

There is very limited graduate housing opportunities at the Central Avenue Apartments. For more information, please contact Student Affairs at or 909-748-8053.