Incoming New & Transfer Student To-Do List

If you are an incoming or new transfer student and you have dietary, housing, learning, mental health, or physical/medical accommodation needs, the Office of Academic Success and Accessibility (ASA) would love to work with you in determining and setting up appropriate supports. Look for the corresponding information below and feel free to call, email, or book an individual appointment to further discuss your needs.

Contact information

Phone: 909-748-8069


Appointments to discuss accommodations will be held in person or via Zoom. To schedule an appointment please contact

Academic accommodations will officially be put in place once you're registered for classes during your accommodations appointment. 

Dietary and housing accommodations will be determined when the Accommodations Request packet is submitted (see below). Accommodations Committee members will need time to review the submitted request and can deny or approve the requested accommodation.

Academic Accommodations

Academic accommodations are typically for those students who had an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan in high school.

If you had an IEP or 504 Plan, please provide the following information:

  1. Your most recent IEP or 504 Plan -- required.
  2. The most recent copy of your psychoeducational evaluation -- required (unless you have a letter from your medical or mental health professional (see next section).
  3. A letter from ACT or SAT allowing extended time on their standardized exam -- optional.
  4. If you attended a private or specialized high school, a letter stipulating the academic accommodations offered is requested.
  5. Once your documentation is received, you will need to meet with the Associate Director of Accessibility for academic accommodations to officially be put in place. Accommodations cannot be put in place without an accommodations meeting. 
  6. Transfer students – provide a confirmation of accommodations from your previous institution, along with a copy of the most recent psycho-educational evaluation you had in high school, if applicable.

Medical/Mental Health – Academic Accommodations

You may also have had accommodations for physical/medical or mental health reasons. If that is the case,  ASA will need a letter from your medical or mental health professional sharing:

  1. Diagnosis/diagnoses.
  2. Medications – if on medication, list medications and possible effect/s on academics.
  3. What academic accommodations are recommended by your medical or mental health professional based on how your diagnosis/es is/are currently impacting your academics?

The ASA office will work with you to determine and set up academic accommodations. 

Dietary & Housing Accommodations

If you are seeking housing accommodations, you must complete the Accommodated Housing Request packet. Download the packet here. A qualified medical/mental health professional must complete some of the paperwork as well. (Instructions for downloading Adobe and creating a signature)

If you are seeking dietary accommodations, a conversation or meeting with our foodservice group, Harvest Table, is also required. The contact for this is Andrew Coyle, Health and Wellbeing Manager. Andrew can be reached at For more information regarding food allergies for college students, check out  

For dietary/housing accommodations, a personal statement must be included, stating in your own words the reason/s you are seeking a particular accommodation. It is important to discuss how your diagnosis/es rises to the level of an impairment necessitating the accommodation you are requesting. A minimum of 1 – 2 pages is required, but there is no maximum length. This can be sent to in an email or as a Word or PDF document. Please see the attached guide for personal statement recommendations.

Requests can be denied or approved by authority of the Accommodations Committee.

Emotional Support Animal Housing Accommodation

ESAs are animals that provide emotional support which alleviates one or more identified symptoms or effects of an individual’s disability. An ESA must be recommended by a qualified professional for a student to be permitted to have the ESA stay in the student’s University residence.  An ESA is not a Service Animal and is not trained to do specific tasks.  Dangerous, poisonous, illegal, and any other animals that pose a direct threat to the health or safety of individuals in the campus community will not be permitted as an ESA. ESAs must be bark (if a dog) and potty trained and cannot be puppies or kittens (less than one year old).

Refer to and review all three documents below if you plan to request that an ESA live with you in University housing. Please note there is a minimum 30-day notice or no later than August 10th, and there is a $500 fine for bringing an unapproved ESA to campus. A personal statement must be included, stating in your own words the reason/s you are requesting an ESA.

Your mental health professional may be called to go over the ESA Request for Information as part of the decision process.

ESA Process Checklist (PDF)
ESA Request for Information (PDF)
ESA Policy (PDF)

Completed requests include the following:

1. ESA Request for Information completed by your mental health provider.
2. A personal statement (see ESA Policy, pg. 2); also see ESA Process Checklist (#3) for information to include in the personal statement.
3. Proof of current, up-to-date vaccination records.
4. Proof of spay/neuter records.
5. Photo of animal.
6. If your roommate is assigned, written approval from your roommate that they are okay living with an ESA.

The members of the Accommodations Committee will review the information submitted for dietary, housing, or ESA requests.  You will then be notified via email with the decision letter on behalf of the Accommodations Committee.