Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do to drop a class?

Each semester the last day to drop a class is set during the sixth week of classes. Drop slips are available in the Office of the Registrar, from advisors and from the Academic Success Center. The completed drop slip, signed by the professor of the course and your advisor, must be taken to the Registrar on or before the last day to drop a class. The advisor's signature is required on the drop slip; it is important to discuss academic and financial aid implications with your advisor prior to dropping a course.

What do I do if I want to drop a class after the drop date?

The final day to withdraw from a class with a mark of "W" on your academic transcript is set during the tenth week of classes.  The completed drop slip, signed by the professor of the course and your advisor, must be taken to the Registrar on or before the last day to withdraw from a class.  After the withdraw date, an Academic Review Board (ARB) petition and a drop slip signed by the professor and advisor are required. The petition and drop slip are returned to the Registrar. A fee is charged when late drops are approved. Petitions are available online. The student should continue going to class in case the petition is not approved. 

If a student is having difficulty with a subject, how do they get assistance?

It is always important for the student to speak first with the professor to determine what kind of assistance would be appropriate. The Academic Success Center, in Student Development, offers individual tutoring in all disciplines, including Writing, at no cost. Time management, study skills, academic planning and general assistance with adjusting to the culture of college are also available in the Academic Success Center.

How many units are required to graduate from the University of Redlands?

Students must earn 128 units in order to graduate.

Is it possible to graduate in four years?

Yes! A normal course load per semester is four 4-unit courses. An average of 32 units per year are needed to reach 128 units. Two semesters of 16 units and a 3-unit May Term course adds up to 35 units per year. In four years many students earn more than the minimum number of units needed for graduation. 

What are the general education requirements for graduation?

General education requirements at Redlands are called Liberal Arts Inquiry (LAI).  Courses that satisfy an area of inquiry are meant to offer depth and breadth to the educational experience while instilling life-long skills.  Inquiries into Practices across the Liberal Arts require one course from each of these four areas: Creative Practice (C), Humanities Practice (H), Natural Scientific Practice (NS), and Social Scientific Practice (SS).  Inquiries into Self and Society require courses from the following: Evaluating Perspectives and Worldviews (EPW), Building Intercultural Competency (BIC), Analyzing Power and Inequalities (API), and Thinking Globally (TG).  Literacies and Skills development through embedded experiences and foundational courses are: Foreign Language Learning (FL), Information and Media Literacy (IML), Oral Communication (OC), Quantitative Reasoning (QR), and Writing (W).  Students are able to view available courses fulfilling each area of inquiry online via Student Planning. 

When do students declare a major?

The major must be declared before registration for the junior year (64 units) but can be made at any time. Declaration of a Major/Minor forms and instruction are available in the Registrar's Office and with the secretary in each academic department. A new advisor in the major department is assigned when the major is declared.

Can I take courses at another college or a community college for credit?

Prior to taking classes for credit at any accredited college here or abroad, fill out the blue Transfer Course Approval Request, available in the Registrar's Office and online.  A photocopy of the course description and the catalog cover must accompany the form.  If the course to be transferred is intended to fulfill a major or minor requirement, take the completed form and accompanying paperwork to that department chair for approval.  If the course to be transferred is intended to fulfill an LAI category, it is returned to the Registrar for approval.