interested IN BEING A resident assistant (ra):
The Benefits of Being an RA
Being a Resident Assistant (RA) is an amazing campus leadership opportunity that allows you to make a difference in student’s lives while building transferrable skills for your future career. In this position, you can expect to gain experience in the following areas:
- Community Development
- Crisis Management
- Interpersonal Communication
- Problem Solving
- Marketing and Event Planning
- Conflict Mediation
- Administrative Skills
In addition to these skills, you will also be surrounded by a community of support among your RA team, and the Residence Life and Housing professional staff. You will receive ongoing training, guidance, and mentorship throughout your time as an RA, as well as opportunities for additional leadership in the department.
The RA Application Process
- Attend ONE information session to learn more about the RA position at one of the following times (please note attendance at an information session is mandatory to consider your application complete):
- November 21st, 2022 at 5pm-6pm in Gregory 161
- November 28th, 2022 at 7pm-8pm in Gregory 161
- Friday, January 13th, 2023 at 1pm-2pm in Gregory 161
- Tuesday, January 17th, 2023 at 6pm-7pm in Gregory 161
- Complete the RA application. The application will open on November 21st, 2022, and close on January 20th, 2023.
- Attend an individual interview on February 10th or 11th, 2023.
- Participate in a group interview on February 11th or 12th, 2023.
- Attend the RA Candidate Social on February 12th, 2023.
Preparing for the RA Application
The RA application is your opportunity to show us who you are, and we’re excited to learn more about you! Before beginning your application, please consider the following information:
- In order to be considered for the RA position, applicants must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- The RA application requires the submission of a video no longer than one minute long that introduces yourself and demonstrates why you are a good fit for the position. We encourage applicants to fulfill the prompt in a creative manner, however, creativity is not a requirement.
- New RA applicants are required to identify three people from across campus to act as the applicant’s reference, while returning RA applicants are required to identify five current residents to act as references. It is highly recommended for applicants to reach out to potential references before submitting the RA application.
Outcomes of the RA application process are scheduled to go out on March 3rd, 2023. Building placements will be released in July 2023. Information regarding move-in, August training dates, and other information will be provided closer to those dates.
If you have any question about applying to be an RA, please contact RLH@redlands.edu.