Coronavirus FAQ

Updated May 20, 2020

The University is monitoring and responding to the rapidly evolving coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, following the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other agencies. We would like to keep you up-to-date on our latest policies and prevention measures with this FAQ. 


What is the University doing to take general precautions?

The University continues to follow the latest guidelines offered by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health and Marin County Health and Human Services Office regarding the novel coronavirus and the disease it causes, COVID-19:

  • The University has created a Coronavirus Response Team:
        o Donna Eddleman, University Dean of Student Affairs (chair)
        o Krystle Armbruster, Director of Health Services
        o Cory Nomura, Senior Vice President (liaison to Marin campus)
        o Ken Grcich, Senior Associate Dean of Student Affairs
        o Jeremy Hammond, Director of Human Resources
        o Stephanie Johnson, Director of Media Relations
        o Andrea Muilenburg, Study Away Office Director
        o Mika Ono, Interim Chief Communications Officer
        o Michelle Rogers, Chief of Staff and General Secretary
        o Jeff Talbott, Chief of Public Safety
        o Teresa Webster, Environmental Health and Safety Manager
        o Steve Wuhs, Assistant Provost for Internationalization
  • The University and its Coronavirus Response Team are working with specific liaisons at the County level, as well as following CDC guidance to provide up-to-date information and recommendations as they are released.
  • The University has increased efforts to disinfect surfaces, such as tables, computers, door handles, and restrooms, and provided cleaning guidelines to Custodial Services staff. The distribution and placement of hand sanitizers have been expanded and proper hand washing signs have been posted in all restrooms.
  • All events have been canceled. 
  • Harvest Table, the Redlands campus food service provider, has limited self-serve options, increased the frequency it disinfects dining locations, centralized condiments so packing can be easily and frequently sanitized, and increased the number of prepackaged options. Users are also being discouraged from filling personal beverage containers.

What can I do to prevent getting the virus?

The CDC advises everyone to:

  • Clean your hands often. This includes washing your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol; cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Avoid close contact, especially with people who are sick. Stay at home as much as possible. Put distance—at least six feet—between yourself and other people, since some people without symptoms may be able to spread virus.
  • Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face cover when around others. You could spread COVID-19 to others even if you do not feel sick. Everyone should wear a cloth face cover when they have to go out in public, for example to the grocery store or to pick up other necessities (although cloth face coverings should not be placed on young children under age 2, anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance). Continue to keep about 6 feet between yourself and others; the cloth face cover is not a substitute for social distancing.
  • Cover coughs and sneezes. If you are in a private setting and do not have on your cloth face covering, remember to always cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow. Throw used tissues in the trash, and then wash your hands.
  • Clean and disinfect. Frequently touched surfaces requiring daily cleaning include tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, and sinks. If surfaces are dirty, clean them using detergent or soap and water prior to disinfection.

While a flu shot will not prevent coronavirus, it will offer protection from the flu and help lessen the public health burden of infectious disease.

What should I do if I believe I am exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19?

It is important you reach out to a health care provider, the Student Health Center, your family physician, or a local urgent care, and advise them of your concern before seeking treatment. Notice to the provider allows them to be prepared for your arrival, thus minimizing exposure of others, should your symptoms warrant such preventative planning.  Simply showing up at a care facility seeking medical help for COVID-19 symptoms is strongly discouraged.

Where can I find out more information about this virus and the disease it causes?

For more information on the novel coronavirus and the disease it causes, COVID-19, see the FAQ from the CDC.

Where can I find details about CARES Act funding for students?

Please see information on the Distribution of CARES Act Funding to Students web page.


Will the University of Redlands campuses reopen by the fall?

Please see the April 29 memo to the University community. An update on plans for upcoming academic sessions is expected by mid-June. If you are an incoming College student or family member with specific questions, please reach out to your admissions counselor at

How are classes being adapted?

Most courses have transitioned to “online” to minimize in-person meetings.

Conventionally, we call this "going online," but it would more accurately be described as “technology-enhanced hybrid virtual instruction.” In most cases, this will likely mean faculty will make more extensive use of Moodle to deliver classes from a distance rather than offering an entirely "online program." Some exceptions are expected that may need to continue in a face-to-face modality—possibly including graduate work, classes at regional campuses, science labs, fieldwork, art studios, and music coursework.

What should faculty members keep in mind about the transition?

Some faculty members may choose to adapt assignments without technologically enhanced formatting through individualized study or other pedagogical methods.  Our goal is to enable students to complete their classes while practicing social distancing.

Faculty should consult with their respective deans, department chairs, and program directors with questions or concerns. See the following question for information on technology support.

Additional resources that may be of interest include:

How can faculty receive support for virtual instruction?

The U of R Information Technology Services (ITS) instructional technology team is making additional time available to help faculty members to meet the needs of the current situation. In particular, the team can help:  

  • Set up and add course content to Moodle, based on learning objectives.
  • Facilitate student interaction through discussion forums and related online tools.
  • Hold live class sessions or office hours using Webex or Teams.
  • Create online assignments and assessments. 

The team is available to faculty for virtual consultation and phone support. Faculty can:

Is the Armacost Library open?

 The physical library is closed, as of March 19. The virtual library will remain open. Please check the library website for updates to hours and services.

  • Faculty and students are encouraged to use the library’s remote services to get help with library and research questions.
  • Faculty librarians are available to help faculty identify resources and readings to support their technology-enhanced classes and can offer instruction sessions via Webex.
  • Electronic delivery of Interlibrary Loan (ILL) materials and Course Reserves will continue. Physical delivery is suspended until further notice. If faculty members would like to add content to course reserves, please contact Matthew

Are the Graduate Theological Union libraries open?

As of 5 p.m. on March 16, 2020, and continuing through at least May 31, 2020, all in-person library services are suspended, and the building is closed. The library will extend the due dates on any borrowed materials that would have been due during the period when the library is closed. Remote services will continue Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

How do I return my rented textbooks when the Redlands bookstore is closed?

Students can retrieve a free UPS book rental return label by following the steps below. When possible, students should send all their rentals back in one shipment. This is a prepaid UPS label, so the package must be taken to a UPS store or put it in a UPS dropbox.

  1. Go to (the recommended browser is Chrome).
  2. In the upper right-hand corner, select “Login/Sign Up.”
  3. Log in to your account.
  4. You will be taken to the overview of your account. Select “Your Rentals” on the left-hand side.
  5. This should show your open rental books and there should be an option to print your return label on the upper right side of this section.
  6. You will need to enter the address you are shipping the books from.
  7. Once completed, you will be able to print out a UPS return label.
  8. If you have been receiving the rental return reminder emails, there should also be a link in those emails that will allow you to get a label from there.
  9. If you are unable to generate a label, please call 909-748-8950 or send an email to If possible, have your order number or phone number that you used to rent the books ready.             

Labels may also be printed from the rental page, as follows:

  1. Go to — Hover your mouse over the Textbook header (do not click it). A drop-down list will appear, click on the Textbook Rentals link.
  2. On the Textbook Rentals page, click on the Rental Return link in the lower right-hand corner of the page.
  3. On the Rental Book Return page, you will need to enter your order number and email address associated with the order. On the next page, enter your address information and hit submit. This will generate an email to you with the shipping label.

If possible, send all your rentals back in one shipment. This is a prepaid UPS label, so the package should not be taken to the Post Office or FedEx. You can take the package to a UPS store or put it in a UPS dropbox. Please make sure all books are packaged securely in a plain, cardboard box. Include inside your name and telephone number, and note it is a rental return.


What is the University doing to help the local community during this crisis?

The University has partnered with Loma Linda University to offer walk-in medical services for the homeless during the California “stay at home” period. The situation has closed many private shelters that previously offered homeless services.

The University has also donated 10,000 pounds of food to Family Services Association of Redlands and 3,000 pounds of food to Inland Harvest to replenish stocks that have been depleted due to the growing need to combat hunger within the region.

The University’s athletic training staff also donated personal protection equipment from their existing supplies to Redlands Community Hospital.

A variety of other public-private partnerships, which may involve donating supplies of essential personal protective equipment or helping to prepare for possible quarantining or isolation for the first-responders we need on the front lines, are also being explored.

When and where is the walk-in medical clinic for the homeless? What services does it provide?

Staffed by Loma Linda University medical personnel, the clinic will be held on the University’s main campus in Hentschke Hall, Room 102 (chosen due to its proximity to Sylvan Park and the availability of restroom facilities) from 3:45 to 6 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays and from 4:45 to 6 p.m. on Saturdays.  

Aside from potentially offering prescriptions for chronic conditions such as diabetes and hypertension, clinic personnel will provide screening and point clients toward education or, if necessary, urgent care or emergency facilities. Loma Linda staff are projecting evaluations of six to eight individuals each day.

How have the health and safety of employees who have offices near the clinic been addressed?

The walk-in medical clinic is a temporary response to some of the difficulties created by the California governor’s “stay at home” order. Once the order is lifted, the medical clinic will cease to operate on the Redlands campus; that is, the walk-in clinic will be discontinued when the University reopens to faculty and staff.

In the meantime, clients arriving for services will remain in the parking lot east of Hentschke Hall until individually called upon, and no access is permitted to the second floor of the building, nor any other area on campus. 

During this partnership, Loma Linda University has committed to have its staff disinfect the facilities on a daily basis at the conclusion of each session of service, maintain appropriate social distancing, and discourage loitering. U of R Facilities Management staff will provide cleaning supplies and conduct a deep cleaning on a weekly basis. Public Safety will continue to inspect, secure, and patrol the area.

I am a U of R employee experiencing financial hardship. Are there resources available for me?

Yes, in recognition of the importance of providing direct assistance to our employees during this time, U of R President Ralph W. Kuncl has initiated the Employee Emergency Fund to provide financial support for employees whose households face urgent, unanticipated needs. These one-time emergency grants do not need to be paid back.

To submit an application, please complete a short questionnaire, which is also available from the Employee Emergency Fund web page.

Applications will be reviewed by a four-person committee, composed of a representative from the faculty, Finance, Human Resources, and University of Redlands Staff and Administrators Assembly (URSAA). All requests will remain confidential. Awards relating to the current COVID-19 pandemic (and other national states of emergency) are exempt from taxes, while other grants are taxable.


Will May Term classes be taught online?

Yes, May Term Courses will be held through technology-enabled modalities. This means students will not return to campus for in-classroom instruction or housing for the May Term.

What is the status of the College's study abroad programs and May Term travel courses?

All students in U of R study abroad programs have been recalled, and all May Term classes involving travel, both international and domestic, are cancelled.


I would like tutoring, but I have moved back home. What can I do?

Students can log into the Student Development Center’s tutor scheduling page to schedule an online tutoring appointment for both subject and writing tutoring. If they haven’t used the site before, they will need to register for an account. More information is available on the Tutoring Services webpage.

What can I do if I do not have electronic devices and Wi-Fi that enable me to participate in online and distance instruction from home?

If students have a particular need to use an electronic device from home, we encourage them to speak with the Instructional Technology Services team in the Jones Computer Center to review options, including accessibility of other facilities with connectivity.

How has the music program adapted?

While some student recitals proceeded as planned for graduation purposes, all chamber and large ensemble concerts were canceled for the remainder of the spring semester. In an effort to minimize risk to both audience and performers, any recitals that did proceed were not open to the public. Recitals were performed in an empty recital hall and streamed online with a link provided for those who wished to attend.

Why couldn't we immediately move to online classes instead of waiting until the week of March 23?

Many faculty members were able to adapt their classes to an online format prior to March 23. However, with more than 700 sections in the College of Arts and Sciences alone, as well as seven regional campuses, a diversity of graduate program needs, and many different teaching modalities, we could not assure academic continuity without some flexibility for planning.  We couldn't simply flip an electronic switch and convert a class.  Information Technology Services (ITS) extended its hours and availability to assist faculty and speed the process.


What is the School of Business doing to respond?

On March 16, the School of Business decided that any and all classes at the main Redlands campus and all regional campuses must be technology-enhanced (with no on-campus meetings) effective Friday, March 20. In the case of the Riverside, Temecula, and Burbank campuses, including the Cal Tech site, this is effective immediately due to March 13 County mandates. School of Business administrators will be following up with campus directors, faculty members, and staff to ensure these changes are executed by the deadline.

How has the Graduate School of Theology responded?

The Marin campus’s San Francisco Theological Seminary of the Graduate School of Theology moved to online instruction on March 10 in order to maintain curricular integration with the Graduate Theological Union (GTU) and the University of California, Berkeley. 

What is the School of Education doing to support the transition to technologically enhanced learning?

All of U of R’s Southern California regional campuses are closed, and instruction will continue via technology-enabled learning. 

To support this transition to online or technologically enhanced modules for the remainder of the spring semester, the School of Education has:

  • Formed a support team of faculty members who have online design experience to help support their colleagues move their remaining classes to a new format.
  • Sent a message to all faculty about the change, with resources embedded in the message.
  • Sent a note to all current students about the changes.
  • Sent a dedicated note to fieldwork students specific to their situation.

Is the School of Continuing Studies also changing course modalities?

The School of Continuing Studies (SCS) has moved all traditional classroom teaching into online and technologically enhanced modules through at least June 1, 2020. Faculty should individually update students about each class. Students can also reach out to the SCS staff members with questions.


Where can I find more information about the status of Academic Affairs support areas?

An update on the status of Academic Affairs support areas—including Armacost Library, Information Technology Services, Registrar, Office of Career and Professional Development, Veterans and Military Support Services, the Office of International Students and Scholars, the Center for Spatial Studies, the Deans’ Offices, and the Provost’s Office—was provided in a March 19 memo from the provost.


Will campus events and/or activities be canceled or postponed?

Following guidance from the CDC and the California governor's March 19 order, all non-essential events are canceled for the time being. 

Was 2020 Commencement canceled?

The traditional commencement ceremonies that had been scheduled on the Redlands campus from April 16-18 have been postponed and reimagined for the fall (see the Commencement website). The University community also held many virtual celebrations as well. 

The Graduate School of Theology plans a small virtual experience in May, and the Class of 2020 is invited to return to campus in May 2021 to participate in a festive joint ceremony.


What are some Redlands campus facilities that are open and that are closed?

On the main Redlands campus, the bookstore, the gym, fitness center, dance studio, and pool are closed.

The physical Armacost Library has closed, however, the virtual library will remain open. Please check the library website for updates to hours and services.

For dining services, Harvest Table has limited the menu to to-go options as a health precaution. Until further notice, the hours of operation for the Plaza Café are 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 5 to 6:30 p.m. 

On the Redlands campus, the Hunsaker University Center (on the west side of Hunsaker Plaza) is closed until further notice; employees can enter using their keys. The Naslund Lounge is also closed. With the departure of most students, faculty, and staff from campus, other buildings are also being evaluated for closure for security reasons.

Are the Southern California regional campuses open?

All U of R Southern California regional campuses and sites are closed; instruction will continue via technology-enabled learning.

What is open on the Marin campus?

On the Marin campus, residential Graduate School of Theology students are able to stay in their apartments, as Marin County health officials have advised residents to shelter in place; in Marin, only essential services (institutions of higher education are listed among these) may remain open.  The Graduate Theological Union library is closed, with distance support provided to students and faculty.

Will the mailroom remain open for regular hours? How can I get my UPS, FedEx, and DHL Packages? How do we handle deliveries of supplies when the office is closed?


On the Redlands campus, incoming and intra-office mail can be picked up at the Office Services window, located in the rear entrance to North University Hall, between the hours of 10 a.m. and noon. Inquiries should be directed to Darin Hinman at

The Student Mail Center will be open from 10 a.m. to noon on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Otherwise, staff at the Student Mail Center are working from home during the campus closure. Please call 909-748-8427 with inquiries.

Mail on the Marin campus will be collected twice per week by Su Hanson and distributed to Marin mailboxes, or, if intended for Redlands, forward it to the Redlands campus.


Warehouse receiving services are operating on a reduced schedule. Package deliveries from FedEx, UPS, etc. will be accepted from 10 a.m. to noon daily. Members of the campus community may retrieve their packages on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to noon at the warehouse receiving door located on the east side of the Facilities Management building, near the loading dock along Grove Street. For any non-emergency concerns or questions, please e-mail Facilities Management at


Office Depot orders will be centrally delivered to Office Services rather than individual departments.  Offices can pick up their Office Depot orders from Office Services during window hours.  Please note that Office Depot may not be able to deliver University-ordered items during the hours that Office Services is open so orders may be delayed.

Office Services does have an Office Depot store card that can be checked out so employees can go in person to Office Depot to purchase supplies, if needed.  Arrangements will have to be made in advance with Office Services to check out the store card.  You can call Office Services at 909-748-8010 or 909-748-8429 to make arrangements.  Purchases made using the store card will be priced with the University discount.  Purchases made at Office Depot on personal credit cards or regular University credit cards will not receive the University’s price discounts.

How can I make check requests during this work-from-home period? Is there an electronic format for submission? What about other areas of Finance?

Check Disbursements - Accounts Payable

The University will print checks once a week on Thursdays and checks will be mailed Fridays. Check Requests or Reimbursement Requests can be submitted by dropping off the completed forms to the Accounts Payable Office Monday through Thursday, during regular business hours (9 a.m. to 4 p.m.). The Administration Building will be locked, so you will need to call the Accounts Payable Office at 909-748-8185 or Public Safety at 909-748-8888 for access to the building. As an alternative, if you are not physically on campus, you can email your completed check request/expense reimbursement forms and supporting documentation (invoice/receipts) to For all forms submitted electronically, please retain original receipts and/or invoices for 90 days. Do NOT resubmit the originals to Accounts Payable.

If your budget manager cannot physically sign the check request/expense reimbursement, Accounts Payable will accept unsigned documents along with an explicit email approval by the appropriate budget manager. An example of an explicit email approval would be: “I, Pat Caudle, approve the check request to vendor ABC in the amount of $100 for payment of invoice 12356.”

Cashier Deposits

The University will process department deposits and student account check payments on Tuesdays and Thursdays. If you have a cash receipt deposit form and related check/cash/credit card charges or a student account payment, please drop off these items at the Cashier’s drop box, located under the Cashier’s window in the Administration Building. Please make sure items placed in the drop box are in a sealed envelope so that items for deposits are not mixed together. The Administration Building will be locked so you will need to contact 909-748-8185 or Public Safety at 909-748-8888 for access to the building.

If you need finance business matters assistance during the closure, you can contact Controller Pat Caudle on her cell phone at 951-236-1331.


The University budget team is working on a forecast of the financial impact of the COVID-19 disruption to the current fiscal year FY 2019-20 budget and to the development of the fiscal year 2020-21 budget.

Are other administration departments of the University operational?

The University’s administration teams are covering all essential business services with limited staffing plans utilizing social distancing protocols. Administrative functions continue to be operational, as needed, during the COVID-19 stay-at-home period.  

Human Resources

The Human Resources Department remains open and fully functional, although with a significantly reduced physical staff presence in the office at any one time. All HR staff are actively reviewing their email and voicemails and returning messages. If you would like to meet with a member of the HR team, please reach out directly to determine how best to meet. The entire department is set up to conduct transactions remotely relying heaving on WebEx. The HR team is working with the University’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) to identify additional resources available to our employees, free of charge, during these uncertain times.

Public Safety

The Public Safety Department remains open and fully functional with dispatchers staffing the phones and officers patrolling the campus on a 24/7 basis. Public Safety management personnel are working from home and on-campus, as needed. Email and voicemail messages are being actively monitored at all times and will be responded to accordingly. We encourage any Public Safety questions or requests for service to be handled by telephone instead of in-person at the front counter to the greatest extent possible. Should you need Public Safety assistance, please call 909-748-8888.  

Building Maintenance and Custodial Services

Custodial Service will service only those areas on campus that are occupied. For Building Maintenance, please submit work requests as normal as staff will be monitoring the work order system. For any facilities emergencies, please contact Public Safety at 909-748-8888. Facilities Management staff will remain on call for emergency situations.

Administrative Services and Events

Administrative Services and Event Services remain open and fully functional; however, staff are working from home unless needed on campus. Department staff members are actively reviewing their email and voicemails and returning messages.

Please call 909-748-8052 for questions about contracts, vending machines, or water units. Please call 909-748-8116 for Event Services support.

The Copy Center staff continue to service University copiers and are available to process any copy jobs on an as-needed basis. Please call 909-748-8462 for Copy Center inquiries.

The bookstore continues to service all web orders, including textbooks and merchandise, although the store remains closed to patrons. Please call 909-748-8951 for inquiries.


What changes have been made to Office of Career and Professional Development (OCPD) activities?

  • Career Studio: The career studio will run with the same support, during the same hours, but virtually at The hours are: Monday, 12–4 p.m.; Tuesday, 12–6 p.m; Wednesday, 12–6 p.m.; Thursday, 12–5pm; and Friday, 8 a.m.-12 p.m.  To sign up for a slot, students should go to
  • Employer Information Sessions and Career Studio Topic-Based Sessions: These sessions will continue but will run virtually. Check Handshake for links to join.
  • Education Expo: The March 17 event has been postponed and will be rescheduled (to take place virtually or in person).
  • Resources:  University of Redlands Handshake and Careershift are still available and robust resources for those seeking job and internship opportunities. StandOut is available for practicing for virtual mock interviews. If students would like to utilize the mock interview feature, they should email and a practice mock interview link will be emailed to them. Check the Handshake Resource Library for additional materials available online to assist with resume and cover letter preparation, networking strategies, salary negotiation tips, job and internship strategies, and more.

How is student work-study affected?

Students with work-study positions will be paid their average weekly earnings (up to their work award limit) through the remainder of the spring semester work-study period. This applies to the pay periods from March 16 – 29 (paid April 10) and March 30 – April 12 (paid April 24). The possibility of remote work will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis by students’ supervisors.

Students leaving campus who do not have direct deposit will be mailed their checks to the home address on record, as long as that address is in the United States. While previously all students were asked to leave self-addressed stamped envelopes with the student mail center to receive their checks, now only international students need to do so. All student employees should either confirm or update their address on file within the Ultimate payroll system so the checks and other correspondence can be forwarded to the correct address. 

Due to technology-enabled/online May Term classes and students' remote location, there will be no on-campus work-study during May Term.

Is the Student Health Center still open?

The Health Center will be closed until further notice, however, the center's voice mail will be monitored.

For an on-campus medical emergency, call Public Safety at 909-748-8888.

For an on-campus COVID-19 medical concern, please call 909-335-1900 before going to an urgent care facility. If transport is needed, call Public Safety at 909-748-8888 and public safety officers will coordinate transportation.


Were residential students on the Redlands campus sent home?

Yes. On March 16, the University made the decision to close all Redlands campus residential communities including residence halls, the Brockton and Grove Apartments, and all organizational houses. Students were asked to leave campus by March 20. Students with special circumstances could apply for an extension. The Residence Life and Housing FAQ page provides more information.

Most students will receive a partial, prorated room-and-board credit applicable to expenses during the 2020-21 academic year; a fewer number of students (e.g., those graduating this year) will receive a partial, prorated room-and-board refund. Additional details will be forthcoming.

Where can I find more information about the housing situation on the Redlands campus?

A separate FAQ about housing on the Redlands campus is available through Residence Life and Housing.


What is the status of SCIAC competitions and other athletics programs?

The Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SCIAC) has announced the indefinite suspension, effective March 16, of all spring regular season conference competition and conference championships. In addition, Bulldog Athletics made the difficult decision March 12 to end all spring-sport seasons.


How do I know if I should work from home?

In keeping with the California governor's "stay at home" order, the University is asking all employees on all campuses, except those deemed to have essential on-site duties, to work from home.  All University of Redlands employees will be paid as normal until at least June 30. 

Every employee contributes important work.  However, the determination of whose work is “essential” for providing necessary service to our constituents on-site during this unique time will be made by supervisors.

The Cabinet has provided the following guidance:

  • Category 1 – Work is essential to maintain business continuity and an onsite presence is necessary to do so effectively. Social distancing should be practiced in how meetings are conducted and how offices are staffed.  Rotating schedules should be used to minimize the number of team members onsite at one time and to give Category 1 employees some flexibility with their schedules to accommodate personal needs (such as child or elder care).
  • Category 2 – Work is essential for business continuity but does not require an onsite presence to do so effectively. Therefore, work may be completed remotely to accommodate social distancing.
  • Category 3 – Work must be halted because it cannot be done unless the employee is onsite to complete it. Employees who are not required on-site during this period, yet whose regular work is dependent on a physical presence on campus, can be assigned other duties (to be performed from home) by their supervisors. If no such assigned work is feasible, the employee will still be covered by paid leave through June 30.

The Cabinet is currently working with supervisors to whom they delegate authority to assist in identifying employees within each category.  If you have questions, please speak to your direct supervisor.

What is the University’s guidance for working remotely at this time?

The health and well-being of our community remains our number one priority and we have responded with extending a paid period of 3/23 (or earlier depending on the campus) to 5/31, whether working from home or on leave due to the situation. To facilitate the temporary work-at-home policy in response to COVID-19, we have provided the following guidelines for telecommuting staff members and their supervisors.

Supervisors should:

  • Communicate specific expectations to individual team members based on each person’s position, the needs of the unit, and the employee’s personal circumstances.
  • Review regular progress reports on work-at-home assignments.
  • Provide feedback immediately if expectations change.
  • Maintain ongoing communications and meetings regarding the status of assignments and projects.
  • Be available by phone and/or e-mail during the agreed-upon hours
  • Adhere to all University timekeeping policies and procedures.

Telecommuting employees should:

  • Fulfill the expectations agreed upon with your supervisor regarding the scope of your telecommuting assignments, such as:
    • Duties and responsibilities;
    • Hours of work (rest/meal breaks, overtime, and other wage and hour requirements still apply);
    • Hours of availability to communicate regarding University business;
    • Communication about work assignments/regular progress reports;
    • Personal needs, including reporting absences of work due to injury, illness, or caring for a family member; and
    • The use of University equipment and materials.
  • Practice secure data handling (electronic and paper), follow University informational security requirements, and store such data on University servers (using VPN access to Colleague databases and/or access to SharePoint or OneDrive).  Private, confidential, or proprietary University business records, student records, and other data should never be saved to personally owned computers, hard drives, cloud storage or USB drives, or other personally owned storage media.  Failure to follow these rules and appropriately protect University information may result in discipline.
  • Appropriately complete your timecard and follow all labor laws in accordance to your status (non-exempt/exempt).
  • State your availability and set response expectations in your signature line/out of office on emails.
  • Forward desk/office phone to your home/cell phone if appropriate (as a reminder, all voicemails left on your office phone will also be recorded and sent to your email for retrieval).
  • Notify your supervisor if you become ill and cannot work.

Please note:  If telecommuting does not work as planned, the opportunity to telecommute will be revisited by the supervisor and employee.

I don’t have direct deposit. How will I get paid if I am not on-site to collect my check?

For employees without direct deposit, checks will be mailed through the United States Postal Service to the postal address on file. All employees are asked to take this opportunity to review and update contact information in UltiPro.

We encourage you to sign up for direct deposit; however, direct deposit will only begin to take effect in the next (not current) pay cycle.

How can I access my timecard from home? How do I complete my UltiPro timecard for the work-at-home period?

You can access Ultimate Time and Attendance (UTA) on “My Redlands.”  Once on the MyRedlands site, search for the HR Portal.

Administrators:  No changes to your timecard are necessary.  Complete your timecard just as you would if you were working in the office.

Staff and Administrators Non-exempt:  You must log all hours worked, even remote hours.  For any day that you work on-site at the University, you will log your hours as you normally do; for any day you work at home, you will log those hours as you normally do.  For the hours that you remain at home at the direction of the University (and do not work), you will use the code “CLOSE” for those hours. If you are working from home for some or all of the two-week period, you will track your hours and you normally do. For hours you are at home but not working, you will use time code “CLOSE” for your regularly scheduled hours.  For example, if you are scheduled for 30 hours a week and you do not work, you will use the new time code for all 30 hours. View a step-by-step guide to add the time.

Please note:  No overtime will be paid to hourly employees during this period without the explicit consent of their supervisors to work more than 40 hours in a given week.

What if I have a previously approved vacation scheduled during the University closure?

You will continue to use the vacation code for all previously approved vacation hours that are during the University closure if you are actually still using the time as vacation.  If your vacation plans were altered because of the pandemic and you will be at home (working or not), work with your supervisor to make changes to your timecard as appropriate to your situation.

When will the work-from-home period end?

The governor of California has issued a “stay at home” order in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, effective until further notice. The University will comply with this mandate by extending its work-from-home policy beyond the previous April 3 deadline as necessary until this order is lifted. 

Whom do I contact if I have a health care benefit concern?

Please reach out to

What are the University’s guidelines regarding University-related faculty and staff travel?

University-sponsored travel is prohibited to any country designated by the U.S. Department of State as a level three (“Reconsider Travel") or four (“Do Not Travel”). Domestic travel is currently at the discretion of each individual in the community, however we request you reconsider all planned trips, domestic and international, given the national and California states of emergency due to the epidemic. 

Note that any area's public health status can change quickly, and anyone choosing to travel abroad may be subject to quarantine upon reentry. We continue to monitor daily recommendations from the U.S. Department of State and the CDC.

What is the status of position searches in progress and searches that are currently open?

For searches that are currently open on the U of R website, the HR Department will continue to collect and review applications. Future interviews will be coordinated with applicable supervisors and managers. Deans will direct the timeframe for faculty searches. 

Still have questions?

If your questions about the U of R response to the COVID-19 situation are not answered above, please email For more information on the virus itself, see the FAQ from the CDC.


Note that to view any new information posted to this page, you may need to refresh your browser or clear your cache.

More resources

Please see these national and local authorities for additional information on COVID-19.