As approved at a recent meeting of the University of Redlands Board of Trustees, a new governing body has been created to provide direction to San Francisco Theological Seminary (SFTS), which joined the U of R last year as part of a merger.
“The new Board of Directors will provide spiritual and ecclesiastical leadership to the seminary,” says Rev. Jana Childers, Ph.D., dean of the U of R Graduate School of Theology, home of SFTS. “With this addition, we will be able to incorporate the important creative contributions of a spiritual governing body in our decision-making moving forward.”
In this bicameral system of governance, which Childers notes is similar to the model at Haverford College, the U of R Board of Trustees maintains authority over facilities and budget, while the SFTS Board of Directors presides over matters related to the church.
Founded in 1871 and affiliated with the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) [PCUSA], SFTS operates on the belief that religion—and specifically Christian faith—should inspire everyone to be a positive force for good in the world. The seminary values dialogue and engagement with other religions and faith traditions.
In addition to Childers, the founding members of the SFTS Board of Directors are:
- The Rev. Jeannie Kim ’01, President of SAM, Inc. and CEO of KPP Beer Inc., PCUSA teaching elder, SFTS Distinguished Alumna 2020
- The Rev. Joey Lee ’85, Executive Presbyter, San Jose Presbytery, Cameron House, San Francisco; First Chinese Presbyterian Church of New York; University of California, Berkeley
- The Rev. Michael Livingston, Interim Senior Minister, Riverside Church, New York; International Council of Community Churches; National Council of Churches, President 2006-07
- The Rev. Ana Lugo ’85, Regional Gift Planner, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Florida-Bahamas Synod; PCUSA ordained teaching elder
- Alvin McLean, Jr., Ph.D., Dean of the College of Psychology at John F. Kennedy University; The Worship Cluster, Co-Chair, Allen Temple Baptist Church, Oakland
- The Rev. Dr. Paul Nazarian ’84, Pastor, Northwoods Presbyterian Church, Houston; PCUSA teaching elder, 1984
- The Rev. Dr. Bear Ride ‘78, ’91, Ride Family Foundation, Director; inter-faith and queer activist; PCUSA teaching elder, 1979
- The Rev. Dr. Ji-il Tark ’97, Professor of Religion, Busan Presbyterian University, Busan, Republic of Korea
- The Rev. Mary Lynn Tobin ’85, Owner, Giocoso, Leadership Coaching and Development
“I look forward to working with this tremendous group of people,” says Childers, “as we continue to put into action our ideals of theological education as a PCUSA seminary.”
Learn more about SFTS and the U of R Graduate School of Theology.