As the year comes to a close, we celebrate a number of University of Redlands community members who recently received honors, as well as accolades for the University as a whole.
UNIVERSITY OF REDLANDS
University of Redlands was named a 2019 College of Distinction based on its display of “engaged students, great teaching, vibrant community and successful outcomes."
College Factual recognized the U of R in the top 12% of best schools for veterans and top 8% of best colleges for non-traditional students.
The Fiske Guide to Colleges again ranked the University of Redlands College of Arts and Sciences a Best College, calling it “one of higher education’s better-kept secrets.”
U of R was included in Princeton Review’s Best Colleges book, including as a top 20 school for politically active students.
Washington Monthly recognized University of Redlands as in the top 7% of master’s universities, based on contributions to the public good, including social mobility, research, and service.
Cloey Stump '21 won Galileo’s 2019 Spark Innovation Scholarship for aspiring educators. She was one of three students selected to receive the award out of 130 students from 55 colleges and universities who submitted essays reflecting on how they plan to inspire kids to become innovators and how their current experience supports their future goals.
Bulldog Athletics celebrated 168 Redlands scholar-athletes—the most in school history. These student-athletes compete for the Bulldogs while maintaining a cumulative 3.5 GPA or higher.
The Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SCIAC) All-Academic Teams included 225 roster spots among 21 Redlands programs—the most for the Bulldogs in the last four years. These student-athletes own a minimum GPA of 3.4 as a member of at least one varsity team.
For many more student athletics honors, see goredlands.com.
U OF R FACULTY, STAFF, AND ADMINISTRATORS
Paul Gaffney, program manager of education, community relations, and spiritual care services of the U of R Shaw Chaplaincy Institute, became an official Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE) associate educator, enabling him to lead Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) groups and programs.
Rev. Laurie Garrett-Cobbina has been selected to receive the Helen Flanders Dunbar Award by the ACPE for pioneering contributions to the CPE movement; recipients demonstrate excellence in leadership, research, innovative programming, and upholding the mission and values of ACPE. The award will be formally presented in May.
School of Education Professor Nicol Howard was honored with the Making IT Happen award from the International Society for Technology in Education. Howard’s research focuses on effective technology use in education, equity in computer science, and STEM education. The award honors outstanding educators who demonstrate a commitment to improving digital learning opportunities for students.
Three Redlands head coaches have recently reached the milestone of 200 Bulldog wins—Mike Maynard (football), and Rich Murphy (women's basketball), and Ralph Perez (men’s soccer)!
U of R’s 2019 President’s Award, for those who have challenged themselves to go above and beyond what is expected of them at work, went to:
- Director of Facilities Roger Cellini
- Athletics Field House Coordinator Denise Cline
- Kimberly Womack, executive secretary in the College of Arts and Sciences Dean’s Office
- An interdepartmental team—Kevin Kropp and Tim Morris of Information Technology Services and Associate Registrar Crystal Stewart—that worked together to integrate online math placement procedures.
U of R’s Frank J. Rice Memorial Service Award recognized Women’s Head Soccer and Lacrosse Coach Suzette Soboti and Community Service Learning Administrative Assistant Julie Byers for their many volunteer activities throughout the community. Honoring the late Frank J. Rice, U of R alumnus and founder of the Los Angeles Men's place (LAMP), a shelter housing mentally ill men and women on Skid Row in downtown Los Angeles, this award acknowledges U of R employees who embrace the spirit of giving throughout the year.
The following individuals were recognized for length of service at the U of R:
- 35 years: Pat Caudle, Jeff Martinez
- 30 years: Rick Cornez, Gary Gonzalez, Ken Houser, Kathie Jenni, Tom Whittemore
- 25 years: Chris Beach, Frank Bright, Shannon Duncan, Paul Jessup, Sandy Koonce, Barbara Murray, Rae Kate Shen, Linda Silveira, Amy Wilms
- 20 years: Ben Aronson, Lisa Benvenuti, Greg Bills, Leslie Brody, Alan DeWeerd, Sara Falkenstien, Robby Gonzales, Jerry Groshek, Jennifer Guzman, Kim Hilgers, Teri Longin, Denise MacNeil Peters, Geoff Roche, Gabrielle Singh
- 15 years: Andrea Alvarado, Pete Bergevin, Wes Bernardini, Thomas Bozman, Karen Derris, Deon Garcia, Kathy Hickey, Dorene Isenberg, Jose Lalas, Stacey Neeley, Lisa Olson, Monica Perry, Rama Ramakrishna, Catherine Salmon, Marco Schindelmann, Ericka Smith, Debra Van Engelen, Steve Wuhs, Barbara Wurth
- 10 years: Bing Bai, Janee Both Gragg, Julie Byers, Carlo Carrascoso, Courtney Carter, Heung Joo Cha, Lis Chavez, Charng Yi Chen, Barbara Conboy, Nirmla Flores, Kendra Gissel, Rod Goodyear, Kristin Grammer, Stacy Grim, William Hudson, Maria Johnson, Dan Klooster, Celine Co Roberson, Mike Mac Queen, Paige Mann, Sanjeet Mann, Rick Quinbar, Matthew Raffety, Pauline Reynolds, Bryce Ryan, Iyan Sandri, Dave Scott, Nick Shunda, Kathleen Silva, David Smith, Lei Lani Stelle, Tony Suter, Greg Thorson, Matthew Wilmoth, Pat Wing
- 5 years: Shariq Ahmed, Joe Almasy, Jeter Binondo, Lauren Chamberlin, Sol Cooperson, Mackenzie Dawes, Alton Edenfield, Felicia Edwards, Sheri Engelsman, Laura Gallardo, Denise Garcia Macias, Javier Garcia, Ryan Garcia, Meigan Karraker, Deborah Keyes, Kevin Kropp, Barbara Lebow, M.G. Maloney, Pamela Martinez, Dalyn Montgomery, Steven Moore, Khanhvy Nguyen, Adriana Pa’alani, Natalia Perez-Bojorquez, Brittany Perisits, Michael Raco-Rands, Jim Reid, JorDon Smith, Shelli Stockton, Mai Vang, Brandi Veigh, Andrew Wall, Dave Waters, Molly Widdicombe
If you or one of your colleagues has been recognized with an honor that we can include in the next Kudos Corner, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about the University of Redlands.