Undergraduate Grants

Grants are awarded by federal, state, University of Redlands, and other organizations. Most grants do not have to be paid back, however it is important to understand the conditions of an award. Some grants do require repayment if a student withdraws before the end of their semester, or does not complete activities connected to the grant. Click on each grant below to see additional details. Most students are automatically considered for these grants when they submit a FAFSA.

Cal Grant

This grant is funded by the State of California and administered by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). This award assists low and middle income students with tuition and fees. Awards are based on financial need and grade point average. When you file a FAFSA and a California GPA verification form by March 2nd, you are automatically considered for a Cal Grant. CSAC makes all final Cal Grant decisions.

Cal Grant Award requirements include:

  • Submit the FAFSA and your verified Cal Grant GPA by the deadline
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen
  • Be a California resident
  • Attend a qualifying California college
  • Not have a bachelor's or professional degree
  • Have financial need at the college of your choice
  • Have family income and assets below the minimum levels
  • Be enrolled or plan to enroll in a program leading to an undergraduate degree or certificate
  • Be enrolled or plan to enroll at least half time
  • Have registered with the U.S. Selective Service, if required to do so
  • Not owe a refund on any state or federal grant or be in default on a student loan
  • Maintain the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards as established by the school. Recipients who do not meet the standards are ineligible for Cal Grant payment and will not use eligibility during the terms they are ineligible for payment.

The Cal Grant award is limited to four years (eight semesters) of full-time enrollment. For transfer students, this includes awards received at prior institutions. Students must enroll in a minimum of 16 units per semester to graduate in four years. Failure to enroll in 16 units per semester may result in a loss of Cal Grant eligibility during additional semesters of enrollment.

Cal Grant Transfer Entitlement Award requirements include:

  • Filing of a FAFSA or California Dream Act Application by March 2nd of award year
  • Meeting financial eligibility and basic eligibility
  • Graduation from a California high school after June 30, 2000
  • California residency at the time of high school graduation
  • Being under the age of 28
  • Having a verified GPA electronically reported from a California Community College of 2.4 by March 2nd of award year
  • Completion of the Transfer Entitlement Verification Form on WebGrants 4 Students

The Cal Grant Transfer Entitlement Award is for students who were not awarded a High School Entitlement Award but are now transferring from a California Community College to an eligible bachelor degree granting institute in California.

Cal Grant A assists with tuition and fees at public colleges, independent colleges and some occupational or career colleges. Coursework must be for at least two academic years.

Cal Grant B assists with tuition and fees as well as provides a living allowance at public colleges, independent colleges and some occupational or career colleges. The awards for tuition and fees are the same as those for Cal Grant A. Coursework must be for at least one academic year.

If you have just applied for/or received notification that you have been awarded a new Cal Grant, refer to the new Cal Grant recipient factsheet, Understanding My Cal Grant.

The California Student Aid Commission has created WebGrants 4 Students (WGS) https://mygrantinfo.csac.ca.gov/logon.asp just for you, the student. The goal is to provide you with the resources, information and tools needed to assist you with the college financial aid process. WGS will allow you to manage your Cal Grant account online by letting you view updates, make school changes, make address changes, make corrections, and post leave of absence requests. It is important for you to understand that your WGS account does not replace your School or FAFSA accounts. Each account must be monitored and managed independently.

Federal Pell Grant

This grant is awarded based on need and is awarded to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's degree. When you file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you are automatically considered for a Pell Grant. The amount of the Pell Grant can vary year to year. During the 2022-2023 school year, the maximum Pell Grant will be $6,895. Pell Grant eligibility is determined by criteria established by the federal government and is subject to legislative change.  More information about the Pell Grant can be found studentaid.gov.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

This grant is awarded to Pell-eligible undergraduate students who demonstrate exceptional financial need. Funds in this program are limited. Eligibility is based off of information provided in the FAFSA. To learn more, please click here.

University Grants

These awards are granted to qualified undergraduates who meet all filing deadlines. Awards are based on financial need, academic standing, availability of funds and/or academic achievement. They are made possible, in part, through gifts to the University. The Office of Advancement Services coordinates with donor relations, and you may be asked to write a letter of thanks to the donor and/or participate in donor recognition activities. University grants go towards tuition expenses only. University grant eligibility is determined by University policy and the student's financial need, and is subject to change.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

The Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant (IASG) is available to students who are not eligible for a Federal Pell Grant on the basis of their expected family contribution, but meet the remaining Federal Pell Grant eligibility requirements and the following criteria:

  • whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11
  • you were under the age of 24 or enrolled in a college at least part-time at the time of their parent's or guardian's death.

The amount is the approved maximum Federal Pell Grant annually and cannot exceed cost of attendance.

Please contact Student Financial Services at (909) 748-8047 or sfs@redlands.edu if you think you qualify for this grant.

Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship

Under this scholarship, beginning with the 2018-2019 award year, a Pell-eligible student whose parent or guardian died in the line of duty while performing as a public safety officer is eligible to receive a maximum Pell Grant for the award year for which the determination of eligibility is made.

To qualify for this scholarship, a student must be Pell-eligible and have a Pell-eligible EFC, and be less than 24 years of age or enrolled at an institution of higher education at the time of his or her parent’s or guardian’s death.

In subsequent award years, the student continues to be eligible for the scholarship, as long as the student has a Pell-eligible EFC and continues to be an eligible student.

Please contact Student Financial Services at (909) 748-8047 or sfs@redlands.edu if you think you may be eligible for this scholarship.