Southern California School Band and Orchestra Association (SCSBOA)
SCSBOA All-Southern High School Honor Groups Information
Each year, the SCSBOA All-Southern California Honor Groups provide the finest young instrumentalists in Southern California with opportunities to rehearse with some of the most outstanding music educators in the world.
Auditions are in December for Middle and High School Band and February for Jazz. It will take several months of preparation if students are interested in auditioning.
- All applications MUST be submitted online along with your $35 application fee payable via credit/debit card. No other payment method will be accepted. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- The time-stamped deadline for High School applications/fees is 11:59 PM on November 2, 2018. Applications/fees will not be accepted or processed after the 11:59 PM timestamp on November 2, 2018 and no audition times will be issued. No walk-in applications or payments will be accepted.
- Directors will receive a listing of students from their school who wish to audition for verification and audition approval. Deadline for verification to the SCSBOA office will be no later than November 9, 2018. There will be NO refund for non-approved applications.
Completing the Application:
- Complete the online application. Please make sure to fill out the application in its entirety, including electronic signatures at the end of the application.
- Select the date you wish to audition and provide a preference of AM/PM audition time and the instrument(s) you are auditioning on. Time preferences are not guaranteed. NOTE: Students wishing to audition on PICCOLO, ENGLISH HORN, or Eb CLARINET are required to also audition on their primary instrument of FLUTE, OBOE, or Bb CLARINET, respectively. Students must have two separate applications with two separate audition fees. The two auditions will be scheduled at separate times to allow transition and warm-up of the second instrument. Students auditioning on String Bass (band and orchestra) should prepare the scales and excerpts listed under String Audition: String Bass.
- Please make sure to fill out the application in its entirety, including electronic signatures at the end of the application.
- Upon submission of application and fee, you will receive an email confirming receipt of your transaction. This receipt will also be sent to the SCSBOA office. Please do not contact the office to see if your application has been received. Confirmation can also be found at the SCSBOA website under the Honor Groups tab.
Woodwind/Brass/Percussion Audition Preparation:
- Download the High School Audition List from the SCSBOA website under the Honor Groups tab, find your instrument on the list, and purchase the appropriate book(s) for your solo piece.
- Download the instrument-specific High School Scale Requirements from the SCSBOA website under the Honor Groups tab.
- Practice scales, solo piece and sight-reading skills (ask your private teacher or director for advice on sight-reading).
California Band Directors Association (CBDA) and the California All-State Music Education Conference (CASMEC)
CBDA All-State Honor Group Audition Information
California offers a junior high (Grades 7-8) All State Honor String Orchestra, two junior high (Grades 7-8) All-State Honor Bands, a junior high (Grades 7-8) All State Jazz Band, a high school (Grades 9-12) All State Vocal Jazz Ensemble, 3 high school (Grades 9-12) All State Honor Bands, a high school (Grades 9-12) All-State Jazz Band, a high school (grades 9-12) All State Honor String Orchestra, and a high school (Grades 9-12) All State Honor Full Orchestra that will participate at the CBDA/CASMEC Convention in Fresno, February 14-17, 2019.
CBDA administers Woodwind, Brass and Percussion for the All-State Band and Orchestra Auditions.
The California All-State Honor Orchestra takes place during the same weekend as the All-State Honor Bands in Fresno. All Woodwind, brass and percussion students submitting auditions will be asked to choose from three options. Option 1: “I am auditioning for either All-State Honor Band or the All-State Honor Orchestra.” Option 2: “I am only auditioning for All-State Band.” Option 3: “I am only auditioning for All-State Orchestra.” Saxophone auditions will be considered for band only because there are no saxophone parts in the Orchestra music this year. All string players audition by going to www.codaorchestras.org and following the instructions on that website.
All All-State Band auditions will be uploaded online. No CDs will be accepted for band auditions. Submit all auditions for judging by 11:59 PM on December 1, 2018.
Parents: Please direct ALL questions to your music director.
Purchasing Honor Group Audition Music:
The SCSBOA and CBDA honor group audition music may be available at your local music store. You can also order the music online from a number of retailers such as:
Hickey's Music Center
Sheet Music Plus