Most of our programs have a fieldwork component. Required fieldwork hours and assignments will vary by program. 

School Counseling Fieldwork


Students in the School Counseling program must complete 400 of their required 600 hours in two different K-12 levels (which is the state requirement for the PPS Credential). 


Students who choose to take the College Counseling emphasis will conduct 400 hours of fieldwork hours; 200 in a college setting(s); 200 in a high school or high school-to-college setting transition setting(s). 


Students who choose both the K–12 and the College Counseling emphasis must participate in 600 hours of fieldwork; 400 hours must be completed in two different K–12 levels (which is the requirement for the PPS credential) and 200 hours in a college or high school-to-college transition setting.

Students may begin their fieldwork as early as their third term. Students will be required to attend a Fieldwork Orientation in order to advance. A Fieldwork Site Agreement must be submitted by the stated deadline and approved before beginning any hours in the field. School Counseling students must concurrently enroll in EDUC 677 Supervised Fieldwork in Counseling while earning hours in the field.
Additional details, forms, and upcoming orientation dates are available on Moodle.
Fieldwork Placement Supervision Agreement
List of Suggested Field Placement Experiences 

Higher Education Fieldwork

Higher Education Students

The fieldwork practicum allows a focused examination of functional units/programs/offices/departments in higher education and/or student affairs. Students are expected to participate in activities that provide the opportunity to experience what the professional and their unit does as a part of his or her work. The EDUC 666 Fieldwork Practicum in Higher Education course could be used to explore in depth an area of interest which the student intends to pursue, or it could be used to explore an interest which is new to the student, but might be complementary to the interest of the student.

Upon completion of the fieldwork practicum course, each student will have: demonstrated an understanding of a specific area(s) of higher education, engaged in professional practice in that area(s), have an ability to explain what is required by a professional working in the designated area(s), understand the entry points for employment in the professional area(s), and started discerning a sense of their own professional identity.

Learn more  

Teacher Candidate Fieldwork

Candidates pursuing a Multiple Subject, Single Subject, or Education Specialist teaching credential are required by CTC to complete 600 hours of fieldwork across the arc of their program. These hours are divided between Early Fieldwork and hours completed while student teaching or a teaching internship. 

Early Fieldwork

Students will complete 40 hours of fieldwork during their Foundations and Methods courses. These courses are typically taken in the first 2-3 semesters in the program.

- Students will enroll in 2 Foundations courses. These courses require 10 hours of early fieldwork each. 

- Students will enroll in 4 Methods courses. These courses require 5 hours of fieldwork each. 

The instructors for each course will advise students on options and methods of completing the early fieldwork.

Early Fieldwork hours must be tracked using the Early Fieldwork Log for each course. Please email the completed logs to at the conclusion of each course. It is the student's responsibility to maintain copies of all logs in their own records.   

For questions regarding early fieldwork, please contact the Coordinator of the MALT Program, Dr. Nicol Howard.

Student Teaching or Teaching Internship Fieldwork

While student teaching or interning candidates will complete 560+ hours of fieldwork. This includes at least 4 weeks of solo-teaching.

See requirements to advance to student teaching or a teaching internship. Also, see a model of the student teaching schedule and the teaching intern schedule

For questions regarding student teaching or teaching internship, students should contact their designated academic advisor

Graduate Assistantships

Available Graduate Assistantships:

Office of Student Success—Communications