What programs are offered by Continuing Studies?

Programs include degree-applicable certificates, ranging from 9-22 months. Certificate program courses may also be taken individually to pursue selected topics, or earn credit toward your degree. Programs are available in many disciplines. Enrollment is open, meaning there are no formal admission or application requirements.

Where are programs offered?
Programs are scheduled throughout Southern California at seven regional campuses located in San Diego, South Coast Metro, Burbank, Temecula, Riverside, Rancho Cucamonga and Redlands. Not every program is offered at every location at all times, so please check back regularly as our course calendar changes frequently. A few courses are also offered online.

Do you offer degree credit?
Courses bearing academic credit are degree applicable, usually at the upper-division undergraduate level. However, please be sure to check with your academic advisor at the college or university where you are earning your degree to ensure that the course(s) fulfill degree requirements. Courses bearing continuing education units (CEUs) do not offer academic credit.

Do I need to apply for admission to the University of Redlands before I register for a course?
No. All courses are open enrollment. Simply choose the course you want and register.

I am a current student at the University of Redlands, may I enroll in a certificate program or workshop?
Yes. There are no restrictions on who may enroll in a workshop, course or program. If you wish to apply a Continuing Studies course to your degree, please check with your academic advisor before enrolling.

May I take more than one course at a time?
Yes. Courses are typically scheduled so you may take multiple courses at a time if you wish. Travel may be required.

When are courses and workshops offered?
All programs are offered throughout the year. Certificate courses are typically scheduled one evening per week. Workshops and individual courses are scheduled in convenient daytime or late afternoon formats.

Will my employer cover the cost?
Consult with your human resources or training department for details.

Are there tax credits or deductions available?
Several tax credits or deductions are available for continuing education including the $1,500 Hope Scholarship Tax Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit (20% of the first $5,000 in expenses). Consult your tax advisor for more details.

I am recently unemployed. Are there funds available for retraining?
Unemployed or underemployed workers may receive government funding to pursue a certificate. Contact your local Employment Development Department (EDD) to find out if you are eligible.

Is financial aid available?
If you are pursuing a Prep Year or degree program, you may qualify for Federal Financial Aid. Private student loans from Wells Fargo Bank are also available. For more information, contact info-scs@redlands.edu.

Can I transfer courses that I took at another university to earn my certificate?
You may transfer up to half of the required units from a regionally accredited college or university. You must show proof of earning a passing grade in the course(s), and the course must be similar to one the certificate course(s) for which you are seeking the credit.

May I take a course before I register for a certificate?
You may take one or more courses before deciding to pursue a certificate program.

What qualifications are required to teach a course?
Typically, instructors possess a graduate degree from a regionally accredited university, college-level teaching or training experience, and extensive expertise in the field. If you are interested in teaching, please forward your resume or CV to info-scs@redlands.edu.