Project Trust, Part 1
Kaiser Foundation of Northern California Innovation Grant
An initiative of the Center for Innovation in Ministry, featuring research exploration of the reasons for underuse of mental health systems by African American communities in the Bay Area.
This research was conducted in partnership with academic researchers from Palo Alto University. All research was compliant with the standards set by the Institutional Review Board (also known as the Independent Ethics Committee.)
Kaiser Foundation of Northern California Innovation Grant (Kaiser Permanente Northern California Community Benefit Programs)
Accomplishments and Results
- Defined the experience of African American churches with mental health providers and mental health system.
- Discovered what the barriers and issues are that cause mistrust.
- Conducted five focus groups with churches.
- Conducted four focus groups with pastors/ministers/bishops.
- Conducted two focus groups with mental health providers.
- Conducted one-to-one interviews with community leaders.
- Developed a seminar entitled “Mental Health and Spirituality Working Together.”