Whitehead Leadership Society
The Whitehead Leadership Society is an organization established to encourage leadership and academic excellence within the University of Redlands School of Business. As facilitators of professional education and lifelong learning, individual members of the Society have the responsibility to provide active service and support to the university community; foster an academic climate for enhancing School of Business student achievement; focus on increasing productive student and faculty dialogue; and honor the traditions of the liberal arts.
Benefits of Whitehead Leadership Society Membership
- Formal induction ceremony and presentation of a Whitehead Leadership Society (WLS) medallion and certificate of membership.
- Special recognition at commencement for attributions to the University and community.
- Lifetime membership to the WLS alumni network.
- Professional and social events invitations.
- Leadership and service: Participate with your WLS peers, alumni, and the community in leadership and service-oriented events.
Becoming a Member:
To be considered for WLS, nominees must be a current student at the time of nomination. Students may become eligible for WLS nomination in one of the following ways.
- The primary way to become eligible is to serve as a student leader at one of the campuses. Student leaders are active students currently enrolled and will serve for approximately two years.
- When the student's leadership, service, and support in the classroom, work environment, or community are comparable to the contributions of student leaders. These students may be nominated by faculty, campus directors, other school administrators, or by self-nomination.
Student Nomination and Submission Requirements
- Part 1: Student nomination form
- Part 2: A current resume or bio
- Part 3: A letter of interest and intent
- Part 4: Two professional letters of recommendation
Student Selection Process: The Pathway to Membership
Students who are eligible for membership in the WLS may be approved for WLS induction in one of the following ways:
- By faithfully executing the duties of a student leader as documented by the campus director, peers, faculty, and/or administrators during the term of service (minimum of four months service).
- By providing leadership, active service, and support to the University and/or within the community as documented by the student, the student's peers, faculty, school administrators, community members, and/or colleagues.
Spring 2020 Nomination Deadline and Induction Ceremony
The Spring 2020 nominations (self-nominations are permitted) are due to Christine Taitano, the Director of Student Services at SBStudentServices@redlands.edu no later than January 31, 2020. All nomination requirements (all four parts) must be completed and submitted as one packet by the deadline for consideration.
All nominations will be reviewed for approval by the Whitehead Leadership Society Board of Directors. Those approved for induction will receive an email invitation at least two weeks prior to the induction date.
The next WLS Induction ceremony will be held on Friday, March 6, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. at the Orton Center on the main campus in Redlands.