Thank you for your interest in the University of Redlands School of Business International Programs. Below are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about our programs.

School of Business Study Abroad: Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to pay a deposit to secure my place on a trip?

To secure your place on one of our programs, we’ll need a deposit in the form of a check or credit card payment of $500. This deposit will be applied toward payment of your travel costs. Please note that the deposit is refundable up to 90 days prior to trip departure. After that time, the deposit is non-refundable.

What forms do I need to submit?

You will need to complete and submit your Registration Packet by mail or in person, because we need your original signature (Note: there are separate packets for Graduate and Undergraduate students, as well as for Alumni/Guests)

Please place an “X” by the global business or capstone course you will be substituting for your study abroad course. The “Acceptance of Study Policies” form can be scanned or faxed to 909.335.5233. Please enter your name on the registration form as it appears (or will) appear on your passport. If you do not have a current passport (one that does not expire within 6 months of the travel dates), please work on getting that ASAP.

Does study abroad substitute for one of my core courses?

Yes, study abroad will typically replace your international business, or in certain cases, your capstone course:

  • If you are an undergraduate, study abroad would substitute for BUSB 342 or an elective course or your capstone course.
  • If you are an MBA student, study abroad would substitute for BUAD 655 or the global business course within your emphasis (FINC 662W, GSIB 692W, INTB 693W, ISYS 680W, INTB 694W) or your capstone course.
  • If you are an MSOL student, study abroad replaces MGMT 636.

How much do the programs cost?

Travel costs are not usually finalized until about three months prior to departure and are dependent on location and duration of the program.  European programs typically cost between $4,000-$4,500, and the Asian programs are typically less than $4,000. The costs also fluctuate due to currency exchange rates and fuel surcharges.

What do program travel fees include?

All airfare, bus and coach passes, hotel accommodations, tour fees, lectures, corporate visits, and some of your meals. Students need to bring money for meals, souvenirs, and for personal sightseeing excursions that are not included. (Note: If a student selects the "Land Only" option, they are responsible for air transportation from and to LAX (or other U.S. airport) and the foreign destination and ground transportation costs from and to the foreign airport to the hotels.

Can I bring a friend or relative?

Yes, we encourage our students to bring family members and/or friends (must be at least 16 years old or with approval of the program director). The travel costs will be the same for your guest, but of course they will not have to pay tuition. They may attend all program activities, including lectures/corporate visits but are not required to do so. 

When is the first payment due?

A $500 deposit is due at time of registration to secure your place on one of our study abroad programs. Additional payments are due approximately three months and 45 days prior to departure, depending on the program. You may pay for the travel costs in full at any time prior to departure.

Are there travel scholarships available?

Yes, please view our Scholarships Page for more information.

Are there classes I will attend?

Beginning two to three months prior to departure three mandatory pre-departure workshops will be held on Saturdays at the University of Redlands Main Campus. We will notify you of the pre-departure dates as they are set. Usually we hold one session at 60 or more days from departure, one 30-45 days out and one about two to three weeks before departure.

Can I scan or email the registration form?

If you complete the form with blue ink, you can scan it in color to  Otherwise, you may mail or drop it off in person at the Dean's Office in Hornby Hall on the main campus. 

Do I need health insurance?

Yes. If you do not have health insurance which will cover you while abroad, you will need to purchase a two-week travel policy. There are many websites that sell travel health insurance (prices vary based on your age).  A Travel Release Form and Medical Release Form will be sent to you after registration, so please note that you will need to gather the required medical insurance information.

When does the travel portion of the program begin?

This varies by program, however each study abroad course will have a detailed itinerary that will be sent to all registered students and guests about three months prior to departure.

Do I make my own flight arrangements?

Typically no. We handle the flight arrangements through a travel agency, which provides us with a group rate that is usually lower than someone could arrange individually. If you would like to deviate from the group travel, then you will make your own flight arrangements, with the understanding that you will be at the proper destination when the program begins and ends.  If you wish to bring a guest, they will travel with you and the group for the entire two-week period.