School of Education Student Financial Services

General Information
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this information at the time of publication. However, due to frequent changes in program regulations mandated by the U.S. Congress, Department of Education, and the State of California, the information contained herein is subject to change without notice.

Financial need is calculated as the difference between the cost of attending college and the expected family contribution. Financial aid is an award from a scholarship, grant, or loan that will assist in meeting this need.

Application Procedures and Deadlines
Students must complete the Free Application for Financial Aid (FAFSA)* each year to receive financial aid. Undergraduate California residents who wish to apply for a Cal grant must complete the FAFSA* and submit a GPA verification to CSAC by March 2 prior to the academic year of anticipated entrance.
*May be submitted online at

Financial Aid Vocabulary
Acronyms and initials are frequently used in discussing financial aid; many appear in this publication. Familiarity with the following terms is helpful when investigating potential financial aid programs:

COA         Cost of Attendance
EFC           Expected Family Contribution
DL              Direct Lending
FAFSA      Free Application for Federal Student Aid
GPA          Grade Point Average
IRS             Internal Revenue Service
FSEOG    Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
SAR           Student Aid Report 

To receive need-based financial aid, a student must meet each of the following conditions:
• The applicant must be a United States citizen or eligible non-citizen.
• The applicant must have demonstrated financial need according to the current need-analysis procedure.
• The applicant must be registered with the Selective Service if the applicant is a male, at least 18 years old, and not a current member of the active armed forces.
• The applicant must be fully admitted and making progress toward an eligible degree or certificate program.
• The applicant must certify non-participation in the unlawful manufacturing, dispensation, possession, or use of a controlled substance.

Outside Funding Sources

Military and Veteran Benefits
The University of Redlands has been designated by the Veterans Administration as one of the qualified institutions veterans may attend and receive benefits under the following U.S. Codes:

• Chapter 30, Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB)–Active Duty
• Chapter 31, Veterans and Vocational Training and Rehabilitation Act (VR&E) [Public Laws 894 and 97-815]
• Chapter 32, VEAP
• Chapter 33, Post 9-11 GI Bill® and Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program
• Chapter 34, Vietnam Era Education Program
• Chapter 35, Dependents Educational Assistance Program (DEA)
• Chapter 1606, Montgomery GI Bill®—Select Reserve (MGIB-SR)
• Chapter 1607, Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) 

The University is approved as a Yellow Ribbon School with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. For more information about VA benefit eligibility, contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at 1 (888) 442-4551 or visit

The University is authorized for the use of Tuition Assistance for qualified Active Duty, Reservist, or National Guard members. Members should contact their units' educational office for more information on eligibility and applying for Tuition Assistance benefits.

For more information on utilizing military or veteran benefits, contact the University of Redlands Military and Veteran Services at (909) 748-8337,, or visit

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at


Federal Direct Subsidized Student Loan 
This long-term student loan is made available from the U.S. Department of Education. No interest is charged nor is repayment required while the borrower is enrolled at least halftime. The interest rate is published each year prior to July 1. Interest rates for all federal student loans can be found at For more information, visit

Full-time and half-time students are eligible to apply. * Students are eligible for this loan if they demonstrate a financial need using standards established by the U.S. Secretary of Education. Eligibility is determined through needs analysis, documented via the FAFSA form. Eligibility is limited to U.S. citizens and qualified non-citizens. Also, the student must be officially admitted and registered in a degree-seeking program before the loan can be certified.

Loan Limits
Post-baccalaureate (teacher credential) students may borrow up to $5,500 per academic year. The maximum aggregate Subsidized Direct Loan amount for an undergraduate or post-baccalaureate student is $23,000. Repayment of principal and interest begins six months after leaving school or if enrollment is less than half-time, with up to ten years using standard repayment. Students are not required to begin making payments until the grace period ends; however, during the grace period, interest will accrue on subsidized and unsubsidized loans. If interest is not paid during the grace period, it will be capitalized. All loans are assessed a loan origination fee on the amount of the loan.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Student Loan 
This long-term loan is available from the Department of Education. The interest rate is published each year prior to July 1. Interest rates for all federal student loans can be found at The Unsubsidized Loan is similar in terms and conditions to the Subsidized Loan; however, interest begins to accrue on the Unsubsidized Loan as soon as the funds are disbursed and during all eligible periods of deferment and the grace period. The student’s options in handling the interest on the loan are:
1. Pay the interest and principal;
2. Pay the interest quarterly and defer the principal; or
3. Defer the interest and principal until the student goes into repayment. (Interest will accrue while the student is enrolled and in the grace period. Interest will be capitalized to the loan when the student begins repayment.)

Full-time and half-time students are eligible to apply.* Eligibility is documented via the FAFSA form. This loan is available to graduate students and students who do not otherwise demonstrate the financial need necessary to qualify for a subsidized loan.

Loan Limits
Full-time and half-time graduate students may borrow up to $20,500 per academic year. Undergraduate students may borrow up to $12,500 per academic year in total Direct Loan funds. Maximum aggregate loan limits are: for a dependent undergraduate student, $31,000; for an independent undergraduate student (or a dependent undergraduate student whose parent does not qualify for the PLUS Loan), $57,500; for a graduate or professional student, $138,500.
*see “Classification of Students” in the University Academic Standards section of the Catalog.

Federal Direct Grad Plus Loan 
The Grad PLUS Loan (GPLUS) is available to creditworthy students enrolled at least halftime in a graduate or professional program (students enrolled in the School of Education post-baccalaureate teaching credential program are ineligible). The loan program is not dependent on income and assets and allows students to borrow the difference between the cost of education and the financial assistance they are scheduled to receive. Interest rates for all federal student loans can be found at It is recommended that students maximize their Direct Loan eligibility before borrowing from this program. For more information, visit 

Need-Based Grants

Federal Pell Grants (Post-Baccalaureate)
The federal grant tables are published each year by the Federal Department of Education. The award is determined by the amount of the calculated student contribution in relation to the cost of attending the University of Redlands. Grants do not have to be repaid. Eligibility is limited to a total of twelve terms during the pursuit of the first baccalaureate or post-baccalaureate degree.

Full-time and half-time undergraduate or post-baccalaureate students with financial need are eligible. Those eligible generally have a low income and limited assets. Eligibility is determined through needs analysis, documented via the FAFSA form, and is limited to U.S. citizens and qualified non-citizens.

Cal Grant A or B (Post Baccalaureate) 
California residents who received a Cal Grant as an undergraduate student must submit a G-44 directly to the California Student Aid Commission to receive a fifth year of Cal Grant eligibility. Cal Grant eligibility is contingent on students and/or parents meeting income and asset requirements. Forms are available on the web at 

Payment of Financial Aid Awards
All financial aid awards are credited directly to a student’s account at the beginning of each term. If the amount of your aid exceeds the costs billed to your account, a refund will be issued to the recipient in accordance with federal financial aid regulations within fourteen days of when the credit occurs, unless written authorization from the borrower is received by Student Financial Services.

Satisfactory Academic Progress
All students enrolled in a teacher credential program or graduate program through the School of Education must meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy set forth by the University of Redlands and the federal government.

Satisfactory academic progress is evaluated on the basis of the number of credits completed and approved degree requirements, as well as the students’ cumulative grade point average (GPA). To receive financial aid at the University of Redlands and maintain satisfactory academic progress, students must meet the following minimum standards when progress is checked after each term.

All students must maintain a completion percentage of 67% or above for their active academic program.

Post-baccalaureate teacher credential program—minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0. Graduate students—minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.

Time Frame for Completion 
The maximum time frame for completion of the two-year graduate program is no more than three years or 150% of the actual time. The maximum time frame for completion of the ten-month teacher credential program is no more than fifteen months or 150% of the actual time. For students who attend less than full-time, the maximum time frame will be prorated accordingly based on their attendance.

Review Intervals - Graduate Program 
Student Financial Services will review all students receiving financial aid for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) after each term. Students who do not meet the above requirements during any SAP review will be placed on warning for one term. At the end of the warning term, SAP will be reviewed again. Students who are still not meeting the minimum standards will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension. If a student feels they have a reason to appeal for reinstatement, they can submit an appeal and, if approved, will be placed on probation for one term.

Teaching Credential Program 
Post-baccalaureate students (teacher credential) will be required to meet minimum SAP requirements as stated above. Student Financial Services will review progress at the end of the pre-service core classes; just prior to the beginning of the student teaching requirement. Students who fail to meet minimum requirements will be placed on financial aid suspension for the remainder of the program and will not receive additional aid until an appeal is approved by Student Financial Services, and the student is placed on probation for one term. Students who fail to finish student teaching in the time allotted by the School of Education, and who fail to meet the probationary requirements, will be placed on financial aid suspension and will be ineligible for further aid.

Appeal Process
Students placed on Financial Aid Suspension who wish to receive financial aid during their term of suspension must return the SAP appeal form along with all supporting documentation within the current payment period to the SAP Review Board in Student Financial Services.

Student Rights and Responsibilities
The rights and responsibilities of all financial aid recipients as required by federal and state regulations are outlined below.

What Students Have the Right to Know:
• The deadlines for submitting an application for each of the available programs
• How your financial need was determined
• How much of your financial need has been met
• What resources were considered in the calculation of your need
• What financial aid programs are available and their exact requirements
• How eligibility for financial aid programs is determined, how decisions on eligibility are made, the basis for these decisions, and the procedures for appealing decisions if you believe you have been treated unfairly
• What portion of your financial aid is a loan, and what portion is a grant. If the aid is a loan, you have the right to know the total amount that must be repaid, the amount of each payment, the interest rate, the length of time you have to repay the loan, and when repayment is to begin
• What it costs to attend the University of Redlands, and what the University’s Withdrawal policy requires of the University and of you
• How the University determines whether you are making satisfactory progress and what happens if you are not
• What happens if you withdraw or drop out during the year

Responsibilities of Students: 
• You should carefully read all information regarding programs at the University of Redlands
• You must complete all forms accurately and submit them on time to the correct agency or office
• You should be careful and accurate in completing your application for student financial aid. Errors can result in long delays in your receipt of financial aid. Intentional misreporting of information on application forms for federal financial aid is a violation of law and is considered a criminal offense subject to penalties under the U.S. Criminal Code
• You must be aware of and comply with the deadlines for application and reapplication for aid
• You need to maintain good academic standing and make satisfactory progress
• You are required to report to Student Financial Services if you drop below full-time status
• You must provide all additional documentation, verification, corrections, and/or new information requested by either Student Financial Services or by any agency to which you submitted an application
• You must update information concerning name change, address change, withdrawal, or graduation as they occur. Notify Student Financial Services or any agency that has awarded you funds
• You must accept responsibility for reading, understanding, and keeping copies of all forms that you are asked to sign
• You must comply with all applicable policies and regulations when you accept financial aid from any source
• You should keep track of the total amount of your loans as you go through school so that you have accurate knowledge of the total amount you owe when it is time to begin repayment
• If you have received a Federal Perkins Student Loan or a Federal Direct Loan from Student Financial Services, you must complete an exit interview as required by federal law before graduating, transferring, or withdrawing from the University of Redlands
• If you receive additional funds from any source, such as outside scholarships, before or after you receive financial aid from the University, you must report the source and value of the award to Student Financial Services. Receipt of additional funds frequently requires an adjustment to the existing financial aid award to avoid an “over-award” as defined by federal and state regulations

Federal Refund Policy 
If a student withdraws or takes a leave of absence during a term, their financial aid may be refunded according to the federal refund guidelines. There are three steps that the University of Redlands must complete to comply with the federal policy:
• Determine the withdrawal date
• Determine the amount of earned federal aid
• Return unearned federal funds to the appropriate program(s)

The withdrawal date is the date the student gives official notification of his or her intent to withdraw. For the withdrawal to be considered official, the student must provide written notification to the School of Education. If the student fails to withdraw officially, the applicable date will become the midpoint of the term. In certain circumstances, if a last date of attendance in an academic activity is substantiated, this date can be used in lieu of the midpoint of the term or date of notification.

Students who withdraw before completing at least 60 percent of the term will “earn” funds in direct proportion to the time they were enrolled. The percentage of earned aid is determined by dividing the total number of calendar days enrolled by the total number of days in the term. Students who complete at least 60 percent of the term are eligible for 100 percent of their federal financial aid.

Unearned aid must be returned to the appropriate programs in accordance with the calculation schedule approved by the U.S. Secretary of Education. Refunds to specific Title IV programs will be made according to current regulations.

Repayment Policy 
If a student withdraws completely or is disqualified, the student will be expected to repay the calculated refund using the federally mandated refund policy guidelines. Failure to repay funds could cause suspension from future participation in any federal financial aid programs.

Allocation of Federal Portion of Refunds After Withdrawal 
If a refund is available under federally mandated refund policy guidelines, students will not receive refunds until all funds representing financial aid awards have been returned to the respective financial aid programs as required by federal regulations. The federal portion of the refund will be allocated in the following order:
1. Federal Direct Student Loan
2. Federal Direct PLUS Loan (includes Grad Direct PLUS)
3. Federal Pell Grant
4. Federal SEOG
5. Federal Teach Grant
6. Other Title IV Assistance

Appeal Process
Any student wishing to appeal a financial aid decision must do so in writing to the University of Redlands, Student Financial Services.

Uniform Crime Reporting
For information regarding compliance with federal regulations on uniform crime reporting, please refer to the Legal Statements section of this Catalog.

Drug-Related Convictions and Student Ineligibility 
Title IV financial aid eligibility is suspended for students convicted of violating State or Federal drug possession or sale laws that occurred during a period of enrollment for which a student was receiving Title IV aid.

For drug possession convictions, eligibility is suspended:
• one year for the first offense,
• two years for the second offense, and
• indefinitely for the third offense

For drug sale convictions, eligibility is suspended:
• two years for the first offense, and
• indefinitely for the second offense

A student’s Title IV financial aid eligibility may be resumed before the end of the ineligibility period if:
• the student satisfactorily completes a drug rehabilitation program which complies with criteria established by the Secretary of Education and such a program includes two unannounced drug tests; or the conviction is reversed, set aside, or otherwise removed from the student’s record.

Information and Assistance
For further information about financial aid or for assistance in completing any of the application forms, write: Student Financial Services, University of Redlands, P.O. Box 3080, Redlands, CA 92373-0999; or call Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., at (909) 748-8047; or e-mail