School of Education Academic Standards

Standards listed below provide additional information relevant to the School of Education. For policies that apply University-wide, please see "University Academic Standards" section of this Catalog.

Academic Records

Public Information
The University of Redlands maintains student records in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (as amended) (FERPA), which assures students and parents of their right to privacy of information. The University also complies with the California Education Code.

The following is considered public information and may be released or published without the student’s consent:

Student name, date, and place of birth; major field of study; dates of attendance; degrees, honors, and awards received; most recent educational institution attended; telephone number, and student-assigned e-mail; home address and telephone number; participation in special academic programs; and participation in recognized student activities.

Students who wish the above information withheld must sign a request within two weeks of their first registration and at the beginning of each academic year (July 1) thereafter.

Good Academic Standing 
Students are in good standing at the conclusion of any matriculated term in which they have a cumulative total GPA of 3.00 and have met program requirements.

Prerequisite Courses
For admission to a course that requires a prerequisite, a student must have satisfactorily completed a prerequisite course with a grade of 2.0 or higher unless otherwise indicated.

Minimum Credit and Curriculum Requirements 
The minimum number of credits required varies according to the program. See individual program listings for requirements. Curricula for School of Education graduate degree programs may be subject to change each year. School of Education students should consult the annual supplementary publication.

Graduate Program Requirements 
Requirements vary among graduate programs. Students should consult the appropriate departmental listing in this Catalog for specific requirements.

The following regulations pertain to graduate students in all programs at the University of Redlands:

Credit Obsolescence and Degree Completion 
No course that has been completed more than six years before the date of graduation will be counted toward a University of Redlands master’s degree. No course that has been completed more than six years before the time of matriculation in the program shall be counted toward a University of Redlands doctoral degree. Students who do not complete their degrees within the six-year completion limit may apply for a degree extension (subject to fees), up to a maximum of two years (total of eight years from the original matriculation date in the degree program). Students in programs that have been eliminated or drastically changed may be required to complete the degree requirements in place at the time of an approved degree extension. If the extension is approved, the Associate Dean will determine if the student must complete the program in place at the time of the approved extension. Additionally, an approved degree completion extension will extend the Credit Obsolescence the same amount of time. If the extension is approved, a Degree Completion Extension Fee is assessed and must be paid before any registration can take place and/or credit applied to the student’s record.

Transfer Credit 
Transfer credit acceptability is determined after admission by School of Education faculty. Program requirements may be waived only when the course content equates to a University of Redlands course and when obsolescence is not a factor. No course that has been completed more than six years before the anticipated date of graduation shall be counted toward University of Redlands programs. No course that has been completed more than six years before the time of matriculation in the program shall be counted toward a University of Redlands doctoral degree.

College of Arts and Sciences students who enroll in the Master of Arts in Education: Learning and Teaching (MALT) program may transfer a maximum of 18 credits of coursework spanning the EDUG 401–409 sequence. Only courses with a grade of 2.0 or higher will transfer and the student’s cumulative GPA must meet the minimum requirement of 2.75 at the time of application to the MALT program.

School of Education graduate students may transfer a maximum of 6 credits, grade 3.0 or higher required, from regionally-accredited institutions to waive program requirements. Transfer Credit must abide by the Credit Obsolescence and Degree Completion policy.

Students can satisfy up to 6 elective credits with master’s or higher-level coursework in their area of study from advanced graduate work at the University of Redlands or transferred from another accredited institution. Coursework must have been completed within 6 years before the time of matriculation in the program.

Students are expected to attend all scheduled meetings of the courses for which they are registered. Students who miss two consecutive class meetings or who do not abide by attendance policy outlined in the course syllabus without notifying their instructor may be administratively dropped from the course and remain financially obligated. Other consequences may arise as a result of enforcement of the requirements of financial aid programs.

Course Adds/Drops
Students in the School of Education who wish to add/drop a course must do so before the add/drop date of the corresponding term. Please see the School of Education academic calendar for more information. Additionally, students should discuss their schedule changes with their academic advisor.

The student is responsible for obtaining refunds of tuition and/or charges, which are calculated according to the tuition refund schedule located in the appropriate Tuition and Fees section of this Catalog. The student will receive a grade of “W” on their transcript.

Should a student miss the first 2 sessions of a course without notifying his or her instructor, he or she may be automatically dropped from the course without penalty.

If a student is dropped from two courses in sequence, or three courses within a twelvemonth period of matriculation, he or she may be administratively withdrawn from the program. To return to the program, the student will need to apply for readmission.

Independent Study
In exceptional cases, independent study projects provide alternatives not available through regular course offerings or because of scheduling limitations. Credit for a single independent study project ranges from 1 to 4 credits; no more than 12 independent study credits can be counted toward a degree. Independent Study is subject to an additional fee except for doctoral students fulfilling electives.

Independent Study is arranged only under the following circumstances:
• to investigate topics not offered in the catalog;
• for catalog courses not currently offered;
• for catalog courses not available in the student’s geographical area and not offered in the region within three months of the end of the core program or date of request.

First, students consult with their Academic Advisor. Second, the student develops an independent study contract with the faculty who agrees to oversee the project. The completed contract, which specifies course requirements (e.g., the number of meetings, readings, fieldwork, papers, and examinations, and evaluation) must be signed by the student and the faculty overseeing the study. Third, the contract must be reviewed and signed by the appropriate Department Chair prior to course registration or beginning any work. Fourth, the contract is signed by the Dean or Associate Dean. These four steps must occur in the specified order.

Incomplete Grades
See the Academic Standards chapter of this Catalog for more information regarding incomplete grades. It is incumbent upon the student to work with their instructor to complete any outstanding assignments. The deadline to make up an incomplete grade is eight weeks from the end date of the course. School of Education students cross-registered in the College of Arts and Sciences courses must meet the College of Arts and Sciences deadline.

Official Withdrawal or Leave of Absence
A student who needs or desires to take a Withdrawal (WDPR) or take a Leave of Absence (LOA) from the University of Redlands must schedule an appointment with their Academic Advisor and complete an exit interview. A WDPR or LOA is considered official once the student gives notification of their intent and the Request Form has been submitted by the student. The Request Form will state the intentions of the student to discontinue the course(s) in which he/she is registered and the effective date the WDPR or LOA will be implemented, which is then recorded by the Registrar’s Office. During a student’s leave of absence, the University maintains all of his or her official records on an active basis.

Students returning from a leave of absence of one year or less are not required to be formally readmitted. Students will be expected to fulfill the graduation requirements in effect at the date of their original matriculation. Students who do not return from a leave of absence within one year are withdrawn from the University. To return, they must be formally readmitted and must comply with the current Catalog requirements.

Fieldwork Practicum Readmission
Students seeking re-entry to fieldwork, practicum, or internship must meet application deadlines.

Administrative Dismissal for Financial Obligation
Students who fail to meet their financial obligations to the University will be dismissed and will be accountable for tuition and fees accrued through the dismissal date. Students dismissed for any reason must stop attending class as they are no longer registered.

Students seeking readmission to the University after an absence of more than one year must meet the admission and program requirements at the time of readmission.

Students must apply for readmission and be approved by the Departmental Admissions Committee. Application and deadlines for readmission can be found at Readmitted students will be charged the tuition rate currently in effect. A student’s account must be current at the time of readmission.