School of Business & Society Academic Standards

Standards listed below provide additional information relevant to the School of Business & Society. For policies that apply University-wide, please see “University Academic Standards” section of this Catalog.

Public Information 
The University of Redlands maintains student records in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (as amended) (FERPA), which assures students and parents of their right to privacy of information. The following is considered public information and may be released or published without the student’s consent: 

 • Student name; date and place of birth; major field of study; dates of attendance; degrees, honors, and awards received; most recent educational institution attended; campus address, telephone number, and student-assigned e-mail; home address and telephone number; participation in special academic programs; participation in recognized student activities; participation in officially recognized sports; class level, weight, and height of athletic team members.

• Students who wish the above information withheld must sign a request within two weeks of their first registration and at the beginning of each academic year (July 1) thereafter. See “Academic Records” section of this Catalog for more information.

Undergraduate Academic Standing 

Satisfactory Academic Standing 
A student who is making reasonable progress toward graduation (measured by completed credits toward graduation) and who is not subject to academic probation or academic disqualification (see below) is considered to be in good standing. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 in all work taken at the University and in the major is necessary to graduate.

Academic Warning 
Students receive an academic warning if they receive grades below 2.0 in two consecutive courses even if their cumulative GPA is 2.00 or higher. Students placed on academic warning receive letters indicating this status but, because they are considered to be in good standing, this action is not reflected on transcripts.

Academic Probation 
Academic probation indicates that a student’s difficulties are serious and his or her continuation at the University is in question. A student is placed on academic probation when his/her cumulative or semester GPA falls below 2.00. Students have two consecutive courses to restore their cumulative GPA to the 2.00 required for continuing registration and for graduation.

Academic Disqualification 
Students are subject to academic disqualification if their cumulative GPA is not restored to 2.00 by the end of the second consecutive course following the academic probation action. Academic disqualification bars students from further study at the University of Redlands for a period of six months. Students who have begun a course prior to receiving notification of academic disqualification are permitted to complete that course.

Restoration to Satisfactory Academic Standing 
Students are automatically restored to good standing if their cumulative and semester GPA are restored to 2.0 by the end of the second consecutive course following academic probation.

Reinstatement from Academic Disqualification 
No sooner than six months after notification of academic disqualification, students may appeal to the Academic Review Board (ARB) for reinstatement.

Appeals of academic disqualification include the following documentation:
• a plan from the student analyzing his/her academic load, work commitments, and any other factors that might have contributed to poor performance, and what steps the student has taken and will take in the future to correct the situation;
• a letter of support from the student’s Assistant Director of Student Success or Program Director Indicating a plan for restoration to satisfactory academic standing;
• supporting documents from qualified professionals for students who have experienced medical difficulties or other unusual circumstances;
• for students who have spent time away from the University of Redlands since academic disqualification, official transcripts of work completed during that time must be forwarded to the ARB. Students may include letters of support from persons qualified to assess their ability to return to academic work.

For students who successfully appeal, the notation on their transcripts will be changed from academic disqualification to continued academic probation.

Graduate Academic Standing 
Please see “Graduate Academic Standing” section of this catalog, for information pertaining to graduate standing in all graduate programs.

Students are expected to attend all scheduled meetings of the courses for which they are registered. Each professor has the right to establish regulations regarding attendance (e.g., the relation between attendance and the final grade). Students who miss the first two consecutive class meetings may be administratively dropped from the course by the professor. Professors will notify Student success of those students who miss the first two consecutive class meetings and have not communicated with their professor.

Administrative Dismissal for Non-Attendance
Should a student drop or be dropped from two courses in sequence, or three courses within a twelve-month period of matriculation, the student may be administratively withdrawn from the program. The amount of the student’s financial obligation for tuition and fees is determined using the last date the student attended class.

Administrative Dismissal for Financial Obligation 
Students who fail to meet their financial obligations to the University will be dismissed and will be accountable for tuition and fees accrued through the dismissal date. Students dismissed for any reason must stop attending class as they are no longer registered.

Faculty members may administer quizzes and examinations during a course but are expected to notify students of quizzes and examinations in the course syllabus. Students will not usually be permitted to make up missed final examinations; however, if absence from any announced examination is required because of an emergency (personal or work-related), the examination may be made up if the instructor is provided with written verification of the emergency.

Incomplete Grades (I)
See the Academic Standards section “Incomplete Grades (I)” section of this Catalog for more information regarding incomplete grades. For School of Business & Society students, the deadline is established by the instructor but the instructor must submit a grade change to the Registrar by the end of the eighth week following completion of the course. School of Business & Society students cross-registered in the College of Arts and Sciences courses must meet the College Arts and Sciences deadlines.

Concurrent Coursework
A matriculated School of Business & Society student may take the regular course(s) in the student’s schedule concurrently with one elective. If this limit is to be exceeded, the student must obtain approval.

Independent Study 
In exceptional cases, independent study provides alternatives not available through regular course offerings or because of scheduling limitations. No more than 12 credits can be counted toward the degree.

Students desiring an independent study course must first consult with their Assistant Director of Student Success and complete a petition. Second, the Associate Dean must approve the independent study and assign the faculty member. Third, the student must work with the assigned faculty member to develop an independent study contract. The completed contract, which specifies course requirements (e.g., the number of meetings, readings, fieldwork, papers, and examinations), must be signed by the student and the faculty member. Fourth, the contract must be approved and signed by the Associate Dean prior to enrollment/ registration or beginning any work. These four steps must occur in the specified order. An independent study fee must be paid upon petition approval and prior to issuance of a contract. (See “Tuition, Fees, and Expenses” section of this Catalog.)

Transfer Credit

A maximum of 66 lower-division semester credits may be transferred from regionally accredited, two- and four-year colleges. Grades of 2.0 (C) or higher are required. Of the 66 lower-division credits, a maximum of 24 may come through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), DANTES, DSST, or any combination thereof. For students who have upper-division coursework from four-year colleges, transfer credits are accepted up to the total credits required for the degree minus the number of credits earned in the major program. Course waivers from the major program are allowed, up to the residency requirement of 32 credits. Additional work may be required at the discretion of the department or programs.

Students already admitted to the University of Redlands who wish to take courses at other institutions to complete their degree may only transfer work completed with a grade of 2.0 (C) or higher. All registration at the other institutions must be approved in advance of enrollment. After completion of the major program, a student may take up to 24 credits from other colleges or universities. If a student requires more than 24 credits to complete degree requirements, the balance of those credits must be
taken through the University of Redlands. Quality grade points (derived from number grading) are not awarded for transfer work, and credits for these courses are not calculated into the GPA. A student will not be granted credit for any prior transferable credit coursework that is not declared at admission or during the first term of attendance.

Graduate students may transfer a maximum of 8 credits, grade 3.0 (B) required, from regionally accredited institutions to waive program requirements. Transfer credit acceptability is usually determined during the admissions process. Program requirements may be waived only where the course content equates with a University of Redlands course and when obsolescence is not a factor.

Withdrawal or Leave of Absence  
A student who needs or desires to take a Withdrawal (WDL) or take a Leave of Absence (LOA) from the University of Redlands must schedule an appointment with their Assistant Director of Student Success and complete an exit interview. A WDL or LOA is considered official once the student submits a written request of their intent and the request has been completed and submitted to their Assistant Director of Student Success. The request will state the intentions of the student to discontinue the course(s) in which they are registered and the effective date the WDL or LOA will be implemented, which is then recorded by the Registrar’s Office.

In order for a student to drop a course after the course has begun but prior to the last meeting of the course, the Registrar must be notified in writing. The request should include the last date of attendance. The withdrawal is effective the day after the last date of attendance. The student is responsible for obtaining refunds of tuition and/or charges, which are calculated according to the tuition refund schedule located in the appropriate Tuition and Fees selection of this Catalog. The student will receive a grade of “W” on their transcript.

The University may administratively withdraw students from courses or programs for non-attendance, final non-payment, or academic actions. The student is responsible for obtaining refunds of tuition and/or charges, which are calculated in accordance with the tuition refund schedule located in the appropriate Tuition and Fees section of this Catalog. The student will receive a grade of “W” on their transcript. If a student is dropped from two courses in a sequence, or three courses within a twelve-month period of matriculation, they may be administratively withdrawn from the program.

During a student’s leave of absence, the University maintains all of their official records on an active basis. Students returning from a leave of absence of one year or less are not required to be formally readmitted. Students will be expected to fulfill the graduation requirements in effect at the date of their original matriculation. Students who do not return from a leave of absence within one year are withdrawn from the University. To return, they must be formally readmitted.

Readmission for Returning Students
Students who have withdrawn and seek readmission must contact their Assistant Director of Student Success and submit a Readmission Application. A student’s account must be current at the time of application or re-enrollment will be denied. Readmitted students must meet the graduation requirements in effect at the time of re-enrollment. Students seeking readmission to the University in a different degree program from their prior matriculation must meet the requirements of the program in which they plan to enroll. Students re-enrolling after withdrawal from the University will be charged the current tuition rates and fees based on the start date of new registration.