College of Arts and Sciences Academic Standards 

Standards listed below provide additional information relevant to the College of Arts and Sciences. For policies that apply University-wide, please see “University Academic Standards” section of this Catalog.

Students are expected to attend all classes regularly. Each professor has the right to establish regulations regarding attendance (e.g., the relation between attendance and the final grade). Students who miss the first class of the semester may be dropped from the class by the professor.

The Office of the University Dean of Student Affairs notifies instructors when medical problems indicate an Arts and Sciences student cannot attend classes or when an emergency arises that requires a student to leave school temporarily.

New students plan their program in consultation with their faculty advisors during the orientation periods that precede registration day and the start of classes. Currently enrolled students register for their courses during the preceding semester.

Validation of registration takes place at Check-In at designated times prior to the first day of class of the Fall and the Spring terms. Students who fail to complete Check-In during the designated period must pay a late Check-In fee. For more information, see the College of Arts and Sciences Tuition and Fees and College of Arts and Sciences Academic Calendar sections of this Catalog.

Changes in registration may be made at the beginning of each term. The relevant dates are listed in the Academic Calendar section of this Catalog. All courses for which a student is registered after the last day to drop classes without appearing on a student's transcript will appear on the student’s permanent record.

Cross-registration with the Schools of Business & Society, Education, and Continuing Studies
Full-time, upper-division Arts and Sciences students may cross-register for School of Business & Society, School of Education, or School of Continuing Studies courses with the permission of their academic advisors. Students may register for one School of Business & Society, Education, or Continuing Studies course per term. No more than 12 cross-registration credits can be applied toward a baccalaureate degree.

Student Load 

Full-time Student Load
All undergraduates must pursue full-time studies unless admitted to Special Status. The normal load for undergraduates is 16-semester credits. When registration falls below 12 credits, students are not eligible to participate in certain extracurricular activities, such as athletics, and jeopardize their financial aid status.

Students who wish to take more than 19 credits in a semester or more than 3 credits in a May Term must submit a petition to the Dean’s Office prior to overload enrollment; credit totals include all credits taken, both internally at the University of Redlands and externally at other institutions. Students who are approved will be charged tuition for all excess credits. For more information, see the College of Arts and Sciences Tuition and Fees chapter of this Catalog.

Degree-Seeking Candidates
A student who wishes to be considered for degree status should formally apply before undertaking coursework. No more than 16 credits of work taken at Redlands prior to formal admission can be applied toward an undergraduate degree. A student must be admitted as a degree-seeking candidate prior to completing the last 32 credits toward graduation. Any student who pursues degree candidacy must follow approved admission policies. Admission status will be determined by the Dean of Admissions. If University programs or policies change, students must take the responsibility (with written departmental approval) to adjust their programs to comply with current standards. Students who intend to work toward an advanced degree, but who are required to complete prerequisite work, must apply for graduate status through the appropriate department.

Catalog Year Requirement
Graduation requirements are based either on the catalog year in effect for the year of formal admission or the catalog year in effect for the year of graduation. A student cannot select graduation requirements from more than one catalog.

Special Status Degree-Seeking Students
• With permission, students may pursue an undergraduate degree on a special part-time basis. Most students in this category are not of traditional college age and hold permanent employment and/or have family obligations.
• University employees (with the exception of full-time faculty) may pursue a degree program on a part-time basis in compliance with personnel policies.
• Students who have completed four full years at the University, or transfer students with at least 32 credits at Redlands, may take coursework on a part-time basis to meet graduation requirements.

Special Status Non-Degree Students
• An individual who wishes to take courses for enrichment may take no more than 8 credits per semester and must receive permission from the Registrar. With permission, students may take courses any number of semesters under this category. A student should provide a transcript of work previously completed when seeking permission from the Registrar.
• Upon recommendation of the academic dean, high school students may take college-level work for high school credit on a space-available basis, with the approval of a high school representative such as the principal or a counselor.
• University employees (including faculty) may, in accordance with personnel policies, undertake part-time studies for the purpose of personal enrichment.

Auditing for No Credit 

A student may audit a course with the approval of the Registrar and the instructor of the course. No charge is made for a full-time student within the limit of 38 credits for the full year or 19 credits for the half year. The fees for students other than full time are listed in the College of Arts and Sciences Tuition and Fees section of this Catalog. The instructor will not process or grade any exams or papers of an auditing student.

A full-time student may audit a maximum of one course during the Fall or Spring of an Arts and Sciences semester, or one course during a School of Education or School of Business & Society term, with payment of an additional fee. Students who register for less than a full load will be required to pay the usual fee for any audited course. No student may audit a course without the consent of the instructor.

Guest Student Status
A student may attend the University on a full-time or part-time basis as a degree candidate from another institution. It is the student’s responsibility to ascertain the transferability of credit back to the original institution. Applicable financial aid should be transferred from the degree-granting institution.

Concurrent Coursework
Students who wish to take work at other institutions either concurrently, during May term, or during summer sessions may transfer only courses with a grade of 2.0 or better, subject to approval by the Registrar in advance of the term in which the course is taken. Quality grade points (derived from numeric grading) are not awarded for transfer work and credits from these courses are not calculated into the GPA. The total credit for all work taken concurrently at the University and by correspondence, extension, or at another institution should not exceed 19 credits per semester.

For further information, please refer to Transfer Credit in this section of the Catalog.

Transfer Credit
Subject to approval by the Registrar, courses (but not grades) completed at other regionally accredited institutions with a grade of 2.0 (C) or higher will be accepted for credit. The University will accept up to:

• 66 credits from regionally accredited two-year colleges
• 96 credits from regionally accredited four-year colleges

The last 32 credits prior to graduation must be completed at the University of Redlands. A student will not be granted credit for any prior transferable coursework that is not declared at admission or during the first semester of attendance. 

Students already admitted to Redlands who wish to take work at other institutions, either concurrently or during May term or summer sessions, may transfer only work with a grade of 2.0 (C) or higher, subject to approval by the Registrar in advance of the term in which the course is taken.

Transfer courses must be approved by the department or program if they are to be applied to a major or minor. Additional work may be required at the discretion of the department or program.

Students seeking credit from the University of Redlands for courses taken through a Redlands-approved but not regionally accredited institution can do so only by enrolling for a directed study course approved by a Redlands faculty member. Quality grade points (derived from numeric grading) are not awarded for transfer work, and credits from these courses are not calculated into the GPA. Students must provide appropriate evidence that they have completed the proposed work as required by the sponsoring faculty member or department. Students receiving credit in this manner will be charged a fee rather than tuition. See the College of Arts and Sciences Tuition and Fees section of this Catalog for more details.

Correspondence and extension courses taken at fully regionally accredited institutions may be accepted for credit only if approved in advance by the Registrar.

The maximum credit for all work taken concurrently at the University and by correspondence, extension, or at another institution may not exceed a total of 19 credits per semester.

Faculty members may administer quizzes and tests during the semester at their discretion, but are expected to announce major examinations (those that exceed one hour in length) no less than one week in advance.

Final examinations must be held according to the examination schedule of the Academic Affairs office. University regulations require a final examination or major integrative work for every course.

Students usually will not be permitted to make up missed final examinations. However, if absence from any announced hour examination or final examination is required because of an emergency (such as personal or family illness), the examination may be made up if the instructor is provided with written verification of the emergency from a physician, parent, or guardian.

Students who are absent from quizzes or examinations because of intercollegiate athletics, field trips, tours, or the like will be permitted to make up the quiz or examination only if they obtain approval in advance from the instructor of the class involved. Coaches and faculty members planning field trips are expected to inform their students of such events well in advance. Students are then responsible for making suitable arrangements-in advance-with faculty of any courses from which they will be absent.

Individualized Study
The College of Arts and Sciences offers a variety of means by which students may work individually with faculty. Such individualized study provides students with the option of designing their own courses and working with faculty on a one-to-one basis. These learning experiences may be disciplinary, interdisciplinary, or from areas outside the current curriculum. Students may take advantage of directed study, internship, or honors research.

The following provisions apply to all individualized study:

1. Appropriate forms for each individualized study must be completed by the student and faculty/Internship Program sponsor and approved by the Registrar by the close of registration for the term in which the work is to be done. Students may petition the Academic Review Board for later registration only if prior planning was not possible (e.g., if the individual is a new student or if a class in which a student enrolled was subsequently canceled).

2. No course offered in the regular curriculum may be taken as individualized study during the regular academic year.

3. Only one category of individualized study (directed study, department internships, honors research) may be taken in any given term.

4. Up to 4 credits of individualized study may be taken during a given term. Up to a total of 12 credits may be counted toward the 128 earned hours of academic credit required for graduation. Up to 8 credits of any one category of individualized study may be taken.

Directed Study (department alpha) 170, 270, 370, 470, 670
This provides students the opportunity to gain experience with learning on a one-to-one basis. Prerequisite: for 370, 470, and 670, previous coursework or experience in the field to be studied. 2–4 credits. Credit/No Credit grading only.

Departmental Internships (department alpha) 385, 485*
*Some departments list internships specifically by number; some do not.

Academic internships enable students to gain work experience in the career field of their choice at either the exploratory or more advanced level. Specialized internships provide extensive opportunities for advanced students in specific fields of study; these are usually taken after other coursework has been completed in the area. 2–4 credits. Credit/No Credit grading only.

Honors Research
Highly qualified students are eligible to apply for departmental honors programs during their junior year. Once accepted into a program, students begin work on their individual honors project during the first semester of the senior year. For more information, see the appropriate department chair.

Honors Research (department alpha) 499 
Available only to students who are approved honors candidates, this entails 2 to 4 credits per semester, but no more than 8 credits total may be applied toward the bachelor’s degree. Acceptance of these credits toward requirements for a major is at the discretion of the department. 2–4 credits. Credit/No Credit grading only.

Official Withdrawal or Leave of Absence 
A student who needs to withdraw from the University or take a leave of Absence should contact the Office of Student Affairs to schedule a departure interview.  Both a Withdrawal (WDL) and a Leave of Absence (LOA) are considered official once the LOA or WDL paperwork reflecting the student's intention has been completed by a designated Student Affairs representative.  Completed documents will state the intentions of the student to discontinue the course(s) in which s/he is registered and the effective date the WDL or LOA will be implemented, which is then recorded by the Registrar’s Office. If a student fails to complete the departure interview, the applicable date will be the midpoint of the term, unless the University can substantiate a later date. When a later date is established, that date will be reflected on the departure document.

During a student’s leave of absence, their official records remain active, as does their email address. Students returning from a leave of absence within one year are not required to be formally readmitted. Students will be expected to fulfill the graduation requirements in effect at the date of their original matriculation. Students who do not return from a leave of absence within one year are withdrawn from the University. To return, they must be formally readmitted.

Withdrawal from the University is the permanent separation of the student from the University.  Should a withdrawn student want to return to the University, they will have to apply for admission.

Students who have withdrawn and seek readmission must submit a readmission application to the Office of Admissions (for undergraduate students) or to the appropriate program office (for graduate students). Readmitted students must meet the graduation requirements in effect at the time of readmission. A student cannot select graduation requirements from more than one catalog.

Undergraduate Academic Standing  

Satisfactory Academic Standing 
A student who is making reasonable progress toward graduation (measured by completed credits toward graduation) and who is not subject to academic probation or academic disqualification (see below) is considered to be in good standing. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 in all work taken at the University, and in the major, minor, and related fields, is necessary to graduate.

Athletic Eligibility 
In order to participate in varsity Intercollegiate Athletics, all student-athletes must be enrolled full-time (minimum of 12 units) for the entire competitive season and maintain a minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA. Athletic eligibility is not granted to those students who have not met all eligibility standards set by the NCAA, the SCIAC and the University of Redlands. Additionally, students on academic probation must successfully petition the academic dean in order to continue their participation in intercollegiate athletics while on probation status.

Academic Warning, Probation, and Disqualification 
Undergraduates who fail to meet the minimum requirements for good standing may be placed on probation or disqualified. Students who encounter academic difficulty are strongly encouraged to seek assistance from faculty, their academic advisors, and the Student Services Center.

Students receive letters specifying the terms of academic probation. Students on academic probation may not carry an overload of academic credits.

Academic Warning 
Students will receive an academic warning if they have a semester GPA between 1.01 and 1.99, even if their cumulative GPA is 2.00 or higher. Students placed on warning receive a letter indicating this status, but (because they are considered to be in good standing) this action is not reflected on transcripts.

Academic Probation 
Academic probation indicates that a student’s difficulties are serious and his or her continuation at the University has been placed in question. Students have two consecutive semesters to restore their cumulative GPA to the 2.00 required for continuing registration and for graduation. Either of the following conditions will result in academic probation:

1. a cumulative GPA below 2.00;
2. a semester GPA of 1.00 or lower regardless of the cumulative GPA.

Students on academic probation must complete at least 12 credits per semester and must achieve a GPA of at least 2.00 in each semester of academic probation, or they will be academically disqualified.

Continued Academic Probation 
Students whose academic difficulties remain serious will continue on academic probation. Students are continued on academic probation if they have two consecutive semesters with a GPA below 2.00. Students continued on academic probation must complete at least 12 credits per semester and must achieve a GPA of at least 2.00 in each semester of academic probation, or they will be academically disqualified.

Academic Disqualification 
Academic disqualification bars a student from further study at the University of Redlands for at least one year. Students are subject to academic disqualification if their cumulative GPA falls below 2.00 for three consecutive semesters or if they fail to achieve a semester GPA of at least a 2.00 during a semester of academic probation.

Restoration to Satisfactory Academic Standing 
Students are automatically restored to good standing when their cumulative GPA reaches 2.00. Students should be aware that in addition to an overall GPA of 2.00 or higher, they must attain a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher in their major, minor, and related fields to qualify for graduation.

Reinstatement from Academic Disqualification 
Academic disqualification may be appealed to the Academic Review Board (ARB). Appeals include the following documentation:

1. a personal statement from the student analyzing her/his academic load, work commitment, social and extracurricular activities, any other factors that might have contributed to poor performance, and the specific actions the student has taken and will take in the future to correct the situation (required);

2. a letter of support from the student’s academic advisor indicating a plan for restoration to satisfactory academic standing (required);

3. a letter from the chair of the student’s major program indicating that the student should be readmitted and will be able to complete her/his major program by the time she/he intends to graduate (required—provided the student has declared a major);

4. additional letters of support from faculty, staff, administrators, or others (optional);

5. for students who have spent time away from the University of Redlands since academic disqualification, official transcripts of work completed during that time away forwarded to the ARB (required) or letters of support from their places of employment as applicable (optional);

6. supporting documents from qualified professionals for students who have experienced medical difficulties or other unusual circumstances.

Students who appeal successfully will have the action on their transcripts changed from Academic Disqualification to Academic Probation.

Academic Standing - Johnston Center for Integrative Studies
Given the narrative evaluation system used for Johnston courses, decisions of reasonable progress and academic standing—warning, probation, and disqualification—are made by the Center Director according to the following procedure. Evaluation of reasonable progress and recommendation of academic eligibility for scholarship support to the Student Financial Services office follow the same procedure.

After the end of each semester, the Johnston Director and the Johnston Registrar review the files of students experiencing academic difficulty. Materials addressed in the files include evaluations and the status of the student’s graduation contract. Students whose records indicate difficulty are placed on either academic warning or academic probation. Students who continue to have serious difficulties after a semester of academic probation are subject to either academic disqualification or disqualification from the Johnston Center. Students are notified of the decision prior to the start of the following term. All academic actions, except warnings, are noted on student transcripts.

A cumulative GPA is not used to determine academic standing for Johnston students until a student has accumulated at least 32 numerically graded credits or unless at least half of the work completed at the University of Redlands has been numerically graded. When a cumulative GPA is used, it is considered in conjunction with information provided in the narrative evaluations. Conditions for restoring good standing can be found in the Academic Warning, Probation, and Disqualification section of this chapter. Since financial aid awards are tied to reasonable progress and, in some instances, quality of overall academic performance, the Center Director also assesses the records of those students on financial aid. Evaluation of reasonable progress and the level of performance is presented to the Student Financial Services office. Appeals of the evaluation are addressed to the Center Director.

Graduate Academic Standing 
Please see “University Academic Standards – Graduate Academic Standing” section of the catalog for information pertaining to graduate standing in all graduate programs.

Academic Review Board (ARB)
The Academic Review Board, which reports to the Committee on Academic Planning and Standards, has the following responsibilities with regard to academic matters:

1. to review and approve all recommendations of the Office of Academic Affairs regarding the academic status of students as established by the guidelines of the Faculty Assembly;

2. to review, upon receiving a valid appeal from a student, any decision to disqualify the student for academic reasons;

3. to hear the case and make a decision regarding the sanction to be imposed on any student accused of violating the Policy on Academic Honesty;

4. to rule, in consultation with the department or individual involved, on any request by a student for a variance or exemption from any of the general graduation requirements (such exemptions are seldom given);

5. to act on appeals by students who have failed to comply with University deadlines in cases where exceptional circumstances made compliance impossible;

6. to review exceptions to satisfactory academic progress to determine financial aid eligibility;

7. to review petitions appealing disputed grades and determine whether changes are appropriate. (Students are responsible for following the procedures outlined under the Disputed Grades policy).

A student may bring a matter to the attention of the ARB by filing a formal petition with the Registrar’s Office. Policy does not permit individuals to appear concerning any case except those involving academic dishonesty; the Board acts only on written statements and documentation. A student must present a very strong case to be exempted from the usual rules of the University. Decisions of the Board are final.