Transition of Care Communication

July 14, 2022

Dear Student,

Beginning your college journey is an exciting time that is also a major transition.  Our campus is committed to the success, wellness, and thriving of all Redlands students, and we encourage you to get a head start on all the things that will ease your transition and enhance your college experience. It never hurts to be prepared and know the resources available to you.

Actively caring for and maintaining your wellness is a major part of your responsibilities as a University student.  There are many facets to this, and before starting your classes, we want you to think about four specific areas: caring for your physical health, caring for your mental health, information about academic accommodations, and information about substance use/misuse.  This email will provide important information, tips, and links.  Please read it carefully and reach out if you have questions.  Taking some steps now to transition and set up the care you need can have a major impact on a successful start to your academic journey with us.

We encourage all students to take a growth-oriented and proactive approach to their experience.  You may need supports and resources you haven’t needed in the past.  Be informed and recognize that using support services like tutoring or counseling is not a negative.  It’s the opposite; taking these steps contributes to success, and students who utilize support services have higher GPAs and graduate at higher rates than those who don’t.

Caring for your physical health:

  • You are expected to fill out a medical history form, found in your student health portal, as it allows the Student Health Center staff to access pertinent medical information, quickly and easily. This is especially important if you have more complex medical needs (e.g. regular injections for allergies or insulin).  If you have specific health needs or questions, consulting with our Student Health Center staff can help.  The Student Health Center does not share health information with faculty or other administrative areas without students’ permission.
  • The Student Health Center is an outpatient primary care clinic available to full-time students; however services and hours are limited. We recommend working with your insurance provider to locate offices, urgent care, hospitals, and clinics where you can be treated if problems arise when the Health Center is not open. You should also have a plan on how you will transport yourself to these locations if a need arises.  The University cannot provide transportation, but can assist with ambulance service.
  • You can reach the Student Health Center at  (909) 748-8021 or you can send an email to

Caring for your mental health:

  • If you are currently receiving psychiatric support or counseling support from a provider (e.g. therapist, psychiatrist, doctor), we strongly recommend talking with them about your transition to the University of Redlands.  Often, the best course of action is to remain in care with your current provider while you are a student.  This prevents gaps in care when it is often most needed (such as transitioning to or from campus or during breaks).  With more providers offering virtual therapy, this option is now more widely available than ever before.
  • Counseling Center services are limited in scope to allow greater access for all students by providing free short-term individual therapy, group therapy, single session therapy, consultations, and crisis intervention. We have a 24/7 Crisis Line 909-748-8960 for mental health crises.  If you are currently in, or may need long-term counseling, our Counseling Center can help refer you to providers in the community (if you choose not to remain with your current provider). 
  • Students who will need weekly therapy and/or medication management during their time at Redlands are encouraged to find providers in the community, to allow for consistency and continuity of care. For local mental health provider options please see our Referrals and Resources page.  One of the largest and closest-to-campus providers is Citrus Counseling Services (CCS).  They provide virtual and in-person counseling options, take most insurance and will be able to accommodate students with long-term needs.  CCS has a diverse set of clinicians in terms of background, training, and specialty.
  • Once classes begin, students will also have access to TimelyCare. This telehealth/virtual app allows students up to 12 free sessions with a counselor, has a “talk now” feature for in-the-moment support, and also offers a range of guided meditations and other wellness-related activities.  More information about this service will be provided during orientation.
  • In addition, we encourage all students to develop habits to maintain holistic wellness and mental health.  Our “LiveWell Bulldogs” program aims to educate students in overall health and wellness and connect them to opportunities that can benefit what we call the “5 Essentials for Wellness: move, connect, calm, replenish, discover.”  More information about this initiative can be found here: Wellness Education and Resources.

Transition of accommodations:

  • Unlike moving from grade-to-grade in high school, a student’s academic accommodations or Individual Education Plan (IEP) do not automatically transfer to the University.  Students must contact Academic Success and Disability Services (ASDS) directly to request academic accommodations.  Even if a student is unsure if they need or will use the accommodations, we strongly recommend completing this process in advance in case accommodations are needed.  Like the Health and Counseling centers, ASDS will not share information about a student’s accommodation needs without the student’s permission. Please carefully review this helpful Incoming and Transfer Student To-Do list for putting accommodations in place.
  • Students who may need specific housing or dining accommodations are encouraged to follow the process outlined above.
  • The Academic Success Center provides valuable resources for students who wish to become knowledgeable, successful, and take an active role in creating their own education. Please contact Academic Success and Disability Services at 909-748-8069 or by email at for more information.

Education and support for substance use:

  • The University of Redlands is committed to providing education and resources to assist all community members in making responsible decisions regarding alcohol and other drugs.
  • Students are expected to always comply with laws and University Policies. It is also important to note that because the University receives federal funding and we must comply with all federal laws.  This means cannabis and any other federally regulated substance is prohibited entirely on campus, even for students that have a medical card granted to them by the state.  We strongly recommend students have conversations with their families regarding substance use expectations before arriving on campus.
  • For students wanting support with substance-use-related issues, we offer educational programs, one-on-one brief, individual coaching, and an ongoing Drug and Alcohol Support Group. Email, and someone will reach out to talk with you about the different options.
  • Please find further wellness educational offerings and resources on our Community Standards and Wellbeing

Online Resources:

  • Set to Go is your guide to the transition from high school to college and adulthood, a great resource with tools and skills to help you thrive.
  • Additional online resources can be found on the Counseling Centers webpage.

Taking care of yourself is an important part of your success at the University of Redlands.  The resources outlined above demonstrate the University’s commitment to that success.  This letter is a call to action; the next step is yours. Don’t hesitate to take it!

I wish you a successful start to your journey as a Bulldog!


Jared Rodrigues, Ph.D. (He, Him, His)

Associate Dean of Community Standards and Wellbeing