May term closing information
As we begin the final week of May Term and courses come to a close, we want to remind you the residence halls will close for the summer on Friday, May 26th at 2pm. Please review all the information below thoroughly, as many of your questions will be answered.
To request a one-night extension to your applicable move-out date, please complete the Late Departure Request under Applications and Forms on the MyRedlands Housing Portal by May 24, 2023, at 5:00pm PST. For a cost of $100, charged to your student account, you will be permitted to remain until 2:00pm the following day.
Student Athlete with continued competition:
Student athletes who continue to compete are permitted to remain in their current spring housing assignment, but are expected to check-out of their room within 24 hours of their last competition or return to campus after travel.
Those already approved to stay for Summer Housing will remain in their current May Term assignment until Summer Housing Move in on May 31st from 3:00-5:00pm.
Ensure a Proper Check Out:
- Please clean your entire space including your bedroom, bathroom(s), and kitchen and living area (if applicable). This includes:
- Remove all personal belongings. Double check that your drawers and closet areas are empty.
- Restore your room to its initial condition at check-in, including furniture set-up.
- Take all trash and recycling to the dumpsters. Please put trash inside the dumpsters and do not leave near or around the dumpsters.
- Wipe down all surfaces including furniture and walls.
- Vacuum and sweep the floor, including under the bed.
- Leave your drawers and closet doors open in preparation for your RA inspection.
- Remove any adhesive substances from walls and doors.
- Remove trash and unwanted items from the room to the dumpster and remember to clean and leave behind the trash can and recycling bins.
There are two ways of checking out of your housing assignment, a Regular Check-Out and an Express Check Out.
- Contact your RA to schedule a check-out inspection at least 48 hours prior to your move-out date.
- Remove all of your belongings and clean your space prior to the inspection.
During your check-out appointment, your RA will inspect your space, collect your keys and check you out of your assigned space. This appointment is important because it can potentially save you from getting billed for an improper check-out. A secondary inspection will be completed by your Community Coordinator and Facilities Management to assess any fees for trash, cleaning and damages.
Express check-out is for students who do not complete a check-out inspection with their RA. By completing an express check-out, students waive their right to contest any damage charges.
- Once you have removed all of your belongings and cleaned your space, utilize the Express Check Out Envelope provided by your RA.
- Deposit your keys inside the check-out envelope then seal and sign it.
- Turn in your envelope to your Resident Assistant or the front desk of Student Affairs.
- Fees for cleaning and/or damage charges will be processed by Facilities Management and Residence Life and Housing after move-out.
To avoid hall and closing fines:
- Improper Checkout Fines ($50+) are given to students who do not follow the proper check out guidelines. Make sure to use and leave the End of Year Checklist on your door, including removing all items and trash out of the room by your check out time.
- Collective Hall Fines ($???+) are distributed to students in a community when specific people are unable to be identified as responsible for extra cleaning, damage, or replacement of community items. To help your community, clean up your personal belongings from any community spaces, take out trash and unwanted items to the dumpster, and report any damages or vandalism to a Resident Assistant as soon as you learn of the need.
- Take your car and bike with you as bikes left on racks will be donated and cars towed.
Should you have any questions, please contact Residence Life and Housing at RLH@redlands.edu.
Residence Life and Housing
University of Redlands