Immunization FAQ

Why do I need to fill out these forms?

The University of Redlands cares about the health of our students, whether you live on or off-campus. The medical forms ensure that your vaccinations are up to date and protected from certain infectious diseases. The forms also serve to provide insight into your medical history that can affect your well-being and/or your academics while at the University of Redlands.

What happens if I don’t fill out and submit these forms?

Failure to fill out the forms will result in a registration hold, meaning that you will be unable to enroll for classes for your second term at the University of Redlands. The immunization form must be filled out completely. Partially filled-out immunization forms will not be accepted.

Why are immunizations required?

The University of Redlands follows guidelines for colleges and universities provided by the state of California and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).  Vaccines protect students from diseases that can derail academic progress.  Everyone on campus, including faculty, staff and visitors--and especially the most vulnerable among us--is safer when students are vaccinated, thanks to the power of community (or herd) immunity.

What immunizations are required for me to attend the University of Redlands?

  • Measles, mumps, Rubella (MMR) series of 2 vaccines after first birthday
  • Varicella (chicken pox) series of 2 vaccines after first birthday
  • Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (Tdap) at or after the age of 10. Note: A booster shot of Td or Tdap is needed within the last 10 years 
  • Hepatitis B series of 3 vaccines 
  • Meningococcal is needed at least once for those over the age of 16 years. Common names of this vaccine are menactra, menveo, menomune, and MCV4. NOTE: This is not the meningitis B vaccine.
  • SARS-CoV-2 virus (COVID-19)
    •   - Pfizer-BioNTech (0.3 ml each): two doses at least 3 weeks (21 days) apart, but no more than 6 weeks (42 days)
    •   - Moderna (0.5 ml each): two doses at least 4 weeks (24-28 days) apart, but no more than 6 weeks (42 days) OR
    •   - Jansen, Johnson & Johnson (0.5 ml): one dose

Can I upload a copy of my immunization card instead of filling out the immunization history form?

No.  You must input the vaccination dates on the immunization form in the student health portal.

Proof of receiving the COVID-19 vaccine should be uploaded to the Student Health Portal by August 10, 2021, or no less than ten days prior to when the student will arrive on/return to campus, whichever comes first.

What if I’ve had these immunizations but cannot obtain records?

You can contact your pediatrician’s office, high school, previous college, etc. and ask if they have your records. 

If you cannot obtain records, you may need to repeat your vaccinations.

You may test for immunity if you have received the MMR, varicella, and/or hepatitis B vaccines in the past by doing a blood draw called a titer.  If the titer for a specific disease shows that you’re not immune, you need to get vaccinated or re-vaccinated.  There are no titers for meningococcal or Tdap. 

Proof of previous COVID-19 infection or a positive antibody or serology test is not a sufficient substitute for the required proof of vaccination. Those who have contracted COVID-19 are not exempt from this vaccination requirement, as illness alone does not assure immunity.

What is a medical exemption to getting a vaccine?

A medical exemption means that you don’t have to show proof of vaccination.  People with contraindications for vaccines cannot safely be vaccinated because they have medical conditions that might lead to a bad reaction to a vaccine.

Medical exemptions for the COVID-19 vaccination requirement will be considered if accompanied by a request from a physician trained in the relevant specialty that informs the basis for the exemption. Exemptions for other reasons, while very limited in scope, will be considered. To submit an exemption request, refer to the COVID-19 Vaccination Exemption form on the Student Health Portal.

The University of Redlands does not accept non-medical exemptions to all other required vaccines.


What is the purpose of the TB questionnaire?

Based on responses to the questionnaire, incoming students who are assessed as potentially at higher risk for TB infection will be requested to undergo further evaluation and testing, including TB testing with either skin or blood tests.

Is the medical history form required? Why is it important?

The medical history form is not a required form.  However, it is highly recommended that you fill it out if you have pertinent medical history or allergies that may assist us in treating you.  This information is important in the event that you need emergency medical care and are unable to report your medical history to medical professionals.  It is better to fill in the information as best as possible than to leave it blank.


I have questions about this requirement. How can I contact someone at the Student Health Center?

If you have questions regarding the health forms, required vaccines, immunity, or exemptions, you can contact the Student Health Center by e-mail or phone: or (909) 748-8021. The Student Health Portal can be found online at

Helpful tip:

Do not wait until the last minute to work on your vaccination form.  Give yourself ample time to schedule an appointment with your healthcare provider should any immunizations be missing, expired, or require titers as proof of immunity. Due to COVID-19 and limited appointment times experienced at primary care offices, there is growing concern that students may not be able to see their providers in a timely manner, delaying further their immunization compliance.

To increase vaccine accessibility for our students, staff, and the Redlands community, the University of Redlands has launched a COVID vaccine clinic on the University of Redlands main campus, partnering with Redlands Community Hospital and other organizations within the City of Redlands.  For more information or to make an appointment, click here

How do I access the Student Health Portal?

Please note that portal access is restricted to students only.

Follow these steps to insert your immunization information:

  1. Please visit
  2. Sign in using your University of Redlands e-mail login and password 
  3. Go to My Forms (across the top of the page), and click on My Forms 
  4. Under My Forms, complete the Immunization History form, TB Screening Questionnaire and Medical History
  5. For the Immunization History Form, please enter your immunization dates on the form, then sign electronically and submit the form for review. 
  6. For the TB Screening Questionnaire, please answer the questions with “yes” or “no” answers (drop down). Please electronically sign the form and submit the form for review. Note: If you have answered “yes” to at least one question, you will need to provide proof of a TB skin test within the past year, which needs to be entered in the Immunization History form. 
  7. Please complete the Medical History form to the best of your ability. Please electronically sign the form and submit. 
  8. Once you have completed your health center forms, please log off.