Incoming New & Transfer Student To-Do List

If you are an incoming or new transfer student and you have dietary, housing, learning, mental health, or physical/medical accommodation needs, the Office of Academic Success & Disability Services (ASDS) would love to work with you in determining and setting up appropriate supports. Look for the corresponding information below and feel free to call, email, or book an individual appointment to further discuss your needs. Our contact information is:

Phone: 909-748-8069
Fax: 909-335-5296 (Private)

Book an Appointment


Appointments to discuss accommodations will be held in person or virtually on Microsoft Teams.  To schedule an appointment please click Book an Appointment

Academic accommodations will officially be put in place within the first few weeks of classes during your accommodations appointment. 

Dietary and housing accommodations will be determined when the Accommodations Request packet is submitted (see below). Accommodations Committee members will need time to review the submitted request and can deny or approve the requested accommodation.

Academic Accommodations

Academic accommodations are typically for those students who had an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan in high school.

If you had an IEP or 504 Plan, please provide the following information:

  1. Your most recent IEP or 504 Plan -- required.
  2. The most recent copy of your psychoeducational evaluation -- required (unless you have a letter from your medical or mental health professional (see next section).
  3. A letter from ACT or SAT allowing extended time on their standardized exam -- optional.
  4. If you attended a private or specialized high school, a letter stipulating the academic accommodations offered is requested
  5. Once you register for and have a full schedule of classes, you will need to meet with the Assistant Dean of Academic Success & Disability Services for academic accommodations to officially be put in place. Accommodations cannot be put in place without an accommodations meeting. Whether the meeting is virtual or in person will be determined shortly before arriving for New Student Orientation.
  6. Transfer students – provide a confirmation of accommodations provided to you at your previous institution, along with a copy of the most recent psycho-educational evaluation you had in high school, if applicable.

Medical/Mental Health – Academic Accommodations

You may also have had accommodations for physical/medical or mental health reasons. If that is the case, I need a letter from your medical or mental health professional sharing:

  1. Diagnosis/diagnoses.
  2. Medications – if on medication, list medications and possible effect/s on academics.
  3. What academic accommodations are recommended by your medical or mental health professional based on how your diagnosis/es is/are currently impacting your academics?

Amy Wilms, Assistant Dean of Academic Success & Disability Services, will work with you to determine and set up academic accommodations. Once you register for classes, schedule an appointment to meet with her by clicking on Book an Appointment.

Dietary & Housing Accommodations

If you are seeking housing accommodations, you must complete the Accommodated Housing Request packet. Download the packet here. A qualified medical/mental health professional must complete some of the paperwork as well. (Instructions for downloading Adobe and creating a signature)

If you are seeking dietary accommodations, a conversation or meeting with our foodservice group, Harvest Table, is also required. The contact for this is Camila Kafie, Health and Wellness Manager. She can be reached by phone at 909-488-9815 or by email at   

If you are seeking one or both accommodations, a personal statement must be included, stating in your own words the reason/s you are seeking a particular accommodation. It is important to discuss how your diagnosis/es rises to the level of an impairment necessitating the accommodation you are requesting. A minimum of 1 – 2 pages is required, but there is no maximum length. This can be sent to in an email or as a Word or PDF document. 

Requests can be denied or approved by authority of the Accommodations Committee.

Emotional Support Animal Housing Accommodation

ESAs are animals that provide emotional support which alleviates one or more identified symptoms or effects of an individual’s disability. An ESA must be recommended by a qualified professional for a student to be permitted to have the ESA stay in the student’s University residence.  An ESA is not a Service Animal and is not trained to do specific tasks.  Dangerous, poisonous, illegal, and any other animals that pose a direct threat to the health or safety of individuals in the campus community will not be permitted as an ESA. ESAs must be bark (if a dog) and potty trained and cannot be puppies or kittens (less than one year old).

Refer to and review all three documents below if you plan to request that an ESA live with you in University housing. Please note there is a minimum 30-day notice or no later than August 1st, and there is a $500 fine for bringing an unapproved ESA to campus. A personal statement must be included, stating in your own words the reason/s you are requesting an ESA.

Your mental health professional will be called to go over the ESA Request for Information as part of the decision process.

ESA Process Checklist (PDF)
ESA Request for Information (PDF)
ESA Policy (PDF)

The five members of the Accommodations Committee will review the information submitted for dietary, housing, or ESA requests. Amy Wilms, the Chair of the Accommodations Committee and Assistant Dean of Academic Success & Disability Services, will send an email with the decision letter on behalf of the Accommodations Committee. She will also send a hard copy letter to your permanent address or campus mailbox. Requests can be denied or approved.