On-campus employment is when a student is employed by the University of Redlands or a company that provides services directly to students on campus (Harvest Table).

F-1 students are allowed to work on campus without approval from the OISS team. J-1 students do require written permission from OISS to work on campus.

Students can find on-campus employment opportunities in the student employee portal (found in My Redlands or self-service https://myredlandsapps.redlands.edu/StudentEmployment/).  Once offered a position, students must complete the proper paperwork with Human Resources. International students who do not have a Social Security number may need to apply for one. See information in the Social Security section for instructions on how to complete that process.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training is an opportunity for students to gain important professional experience through a placement that is an integral part of an established curriculum and must be directly related to a student’s major area of study.  It may be defined as: alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education or other type of internship or practicum (required or optional). CPT placements are always associated with a credit-bearing course that requires students to draw on their placements to deepen their learning within their degree program. CPT is authorized through the Office of International Students and Scholars.

Eligibility Guidelines to apply for CPT:

  • F-1 undergraduate students: must have completed at least one academic year in a degree granting program with at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA and be enrolled full-time. Undergraduate students may pursue part-time work if internships are a requirement of their program of study.
  • F-1 graduate students: must have completed one academic term with a minimum 3.0 GPA and be enrolled full-time. Graduate students enrolled in a one-year program are only eligible for part-time CPT (20 hours per week).
  • No exceptions to these policies will be made.

If at any time, the student’s GPA drops below the requirement, their employment status may be jeopardized and they may need to forfeit their position.

  • CPT authorization will not extend beyond the completion date of the student’s degree CPT authorization is for one semester at a time.
  • School of Business and Society students authorized for CPT will simultaneously enroll for independent study credits (in School of Business, either BUAD 475 or BUAD 675), which will require them to integrate their CPT into their programs of study.  This section will be supervised by a faculty member, and will be evaluated as Credit/No Credit.  Students performing part-time CPT need to register for one credit per semester, while full-time CPT placement requires two credits per semester.  Students may be renewed for CPT each new term.  School of Business students may renew their CPT each semester.  Renewal of CPT authorization is contingent upon the student's performance in the prior term's coursework (including the Practical Training course) and on the continued alignment of CPT placement and the degree program.  
  • Undergraduate and Graduate Students in CAS.  Undergraduate students will be approved for CPT during the academic year only when they are enrolled in a program of study with an embedded and required internship or practicum.  College of Arts and Sciences undergraduate students must register for departmental internships to integrate their CPT into their program of study.  This section will be supervised by a faculty member, and will be evaluated as Credit/No Credit. School of Performing Arts students are eligible for CPT for performance or arts instruction with the support of faculty and with proper notation on their Form I-20.
  • Otherwise, during the academic year, CAS undergraduate students may only work on campus or, in extreme cases, may be considered for Economic Hardship.  CAS students are additionally eligible for CPT during the summer following their junior year if accompanied by an enrolled internship.  

CPT application Process

  • Download the CPT application form 
  • Find a position with an employer that will directly relate to the program of Students must obtain CPT authorization before beginning employment. Working prior to obtaining authorization is a violation of the student’s immigration status. Students are not permitted to begin work prior to starting school.
  • Complete the student portion of the CPT application and submit to Academic Advisor. Along with the CPT application form studenst must also provide their Academic Advisor the following:
    • Job/Intern Offer Letter on official company letterhead that includes: start/end date, position title, employment status, indicate number of work hours per week (part time up to 20 hours per week or full-time more than 20 hours per week), company contact information (address, phone number, supervisor name and contact information)
    • Copy of job description with specific job duties on official company letterhead
    • For undergraduate CAS students, the completed CPT application (with both the student and academic advisor’s signatures) must also be accompanied by letters of support from the student’s academic advisor and the faculty sponsor for the departmental internship course.
  • Submit your signed CPT application and required supplemental documents (job/intern offer, job description, letters of support from academic advisor/faculty sponsor for internship course) to the OISS Office (OISS@redlands.edu or Duke 104).


Authorization by OISS

OISS authorizes CPT after verification that a student meets the eligibility requirements for CPT, has an appropriate job offer, and has enrolled in a class requiring employment. OISS gives the authorization on the second page of the I-20; no Employment Authorization Document from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services is required. **Please allow 5 - 7 business days for CPT processing once submitted**

Maintaining student status during CPT

While you are completing authorized CPT, you must maintain your F-1 lawful status each semester. This includes:

  • Reporting address or telephone number changes to the OISS (Office of International Students & Scholars) within 10 days.
  • Maintaining full-time enrollment status in your academic program.

Requesting Changes after CPT Authorization

CPT is approved for a specific employer, location of employment and time period. You must request approval for any changes two weeks before extending your current CPT end date, working at a different location or for a new employer. Completing new forms and obtaining new authorization is necessary.

Effect on Optional Practical Training (OPT)

F-1 students with 365 days or more of full-time CPT are not eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT). Accumulating part-time CPT has no effect on OPT eligibility. Part-time CPT is classified as 20 hours per week or less. Full-time CPT is classified as more than 20 hours per week.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

What is OPT?

Optional Practical Training gives F-1 students the ability to work for a year or more after graduation in a job or internship related to their major. It allows students to gain practical training and experience in their field.

How to apply for OPT?

Students can submit their OPT application no more than 90 days before their program end date.

  1. Students must be issued a new I-20 with an OPT recommendation on page 2, before they submit their online application to USCIS. For OISS to issue a new I-20 with an OPT recommendation, students must provide the OISS (oiss@redlands.edu) with the following information:
    1. Expected graduation date
    2. Requested start date for OPT. It is important to think about what start date to choose. The requested start date is what will be issued on the student’s EAD card, if approved, and is the actual date a student can begin work.
  2. Once a student has their new I-20, with the OPT recommendation noted on page 2, students can prepare and file their OPT application. This application is submitted online through the USCIS system. Students must first create an USCIS Online Account. When creating the online USCIS account, students should use their personal email (not Redlands as it will be deactivated a few months after graduation).  
  3. Once the USCIS online account is created students must:
    1. Prepare their online application (Form I-765). Information about the Form I-765 can be found here: https://www.uscis.gov/i-765
    2. Collect evidence to upload. Evidence includes (2x2 photo “passport sized photo; most recent I-94 form, passport biographical data page, any previously authorized CPT or OPT; I-20 form with OPT recommendation on page 2)
    3. Pay filing fee
    4. Students can schedule an appointment with an OISS staff member to go over the Form I-765 before submitting. Email OISS@redlands.edu to schedule an appointment.
    5. Submit the application.

Post Application Submission

You should receive an I-797C receipt from USCIS with 30 business days that confirms the receipt of your application. If you do not receive this notification within 30 days you should contact contact USCIS Customer Service to confirm your mailing address. Your receipt will have a case number (beginning with three letters followed by 10 numbers). You’ll need to keep the original receipt for your records as it is the only way to track your application at the USCIS Service Centers.

On average, student’s applications are adjudicated within 90-120 days. You can check current general processing times for the Form I-765 based on service center. You can also use your receipt number (found on your I-797C receipt notice) to track the status of your specific application. Students who have submitted an OPT Application with USCIS in a timely manner may remain in the U.S. after their 60 day grace period ends to await adjudication.

If your processing time is "outside normal processing times" you can submit the USCIS e-request on the USCIS website. You will need your receipt number, date when you filed your request, what type of application you filed and an email address to submit your e-request. You may also contact the USCIS Customer Service Center using the phone number of your Receipt Notice.

Additional Resources

  1. OPT and Next Steps presentation
  2. SEVP Portal Videos (videos on creating your SEVP portal account, updating profile address and telephone number, and managing employer information while on Post-Completion OPT)

STEM OPT Extension

STEM OPT extension allows Redlands alumni with degrees in the STEM fields the opportunity to apply for an additional 24 months of OPT.

How to Request a STEM OPT extension?

Students can start the request process for a STEM OPT extension, as early as 90 days before their current 12-month OPT EAD card expiration date. To start the process, the OISS office will need a completed Form I-983 from before a recommendation can be made for a STEM OPT extension. The Form I-983 Overview can be found here: https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/stem-opt-hub/additional-resources/form-i-983-overview. The last section of the form (Evaluation of Student Progress) outlines the process for submitting the evaluations at the 12 month mark and the final assessment.

Once OISS receives your I-983, it will be reviewed to ensure it is complete and that the responses address all the program requirements. The OISS office is also required to keep all versions of the Form I-983 as well as copies of all of a student’s evaluations.

When reviewing the Form I-983 for completeness, the OISS staff member will confirm that the training plan:

  • Explains how the training is directly related to the student’s qualifying STEM degree.
  • Identifies goals for the STEM practical training opportunity, including specific knowledge, skills or techniques that will be imparted to the student and explains how those goals will be achieved through the work-based learning opportunity with the employer.
  • Describes a performance evaluation process.
  • Describes methods of oversight and supervision.

The OISS staff member will also ensure that all form fields are properly completed. If the Form I-983 meets these requirements, OISS has met their obligation and may recommend a student for the STEM OPT extension. At this point, OISS will issue the student a new I-20, that will need to be uploaded into the I-765 form with additional supplemental materials. This link (https://www.uscis.gov/i-765) provides instructions on the I-765 form and tells students how to access the form.

If a student would like to schedule a meeting with the OISS staff to go over their I-765 form before submission, a meeting can be requested by emailing OISS@redlands.edu

Social Security Number

What is a Social Security Number?

A Social Security Number (SSN) is required to earn wages, file taxes, and receive some types of government services in the U.S. A Social Security Number is a nine-digit number issued to US citizens, permanent residents, and temporary workers by the Social Security Administration. Like your passport this document should be stored in a safe location and not carried on you.

You will need to obtain a Social Security card if you have an internship or employment in the U.S. The application is available at the local Social Security Administration Office or its website (www.ssa.gov). Before you visit the Social Security Office, pick up a letter of endorsement from the International Student and Scholar Advisor.

Telephone: 1-800-772-1213

Open Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

How to obtain a Social Security Number?

F-1 Students: F-1 students are only eligible for a SSN if they have a job offer through on-campus employment or authorized off-campus employment and will be receiving wages.

J-1 Students: J-1 students are eligible to apply for a SSN after they have completed visa check-in requirements and receive approval from the International Student Advisor.

Please visit the OISS office for more information.

General steps for getting a Social Security Number

  1. Find a Job
  2. Notify the OISS office of job and wish to apply for a Social Security Number; this can be done by sending an email to OISS@redlands.edu and including a copy of your offer letter.
  3. OISS will then write you a Support Letter that you must take with you to the Social Security Administration (SSA). Please allow AT LEAST three business days to process this Support Letter request.
  4. Complete an Application for a Social Security Card. Information about requesting a social security number for the first time can be found here: https://www.ssa.gov/number-card/request-number-first-time as well an a link to the online application.
  5. Go to Social Security Administration Office. Take all necessary original paperwork (application, passport, and visa documents) with you to the Social Security Administration.

You must wait at least 10 days from your arrival before going to the SSA office.


Any international student who works in the United States should file federal and state income taxes.  The University of Redlands works with Sprintax to provide tax services for our students.  Read this to learn about Sprintax's services. Each year the Office of International Students and Scholars will communicate with all current F-1 students and those on OPT or STEM OPT to provide them a unique passcode to access those services through this link.  Remember: federal and state taxes are due by April 15 each year.