ANNOUNCEMENT OF ADMINISTRATIVE POSITION OPENING
POSITION: Director of the Native Student Programs Office
POSITION CODE: 4326
DEPARTMENT: College of Arts and Sciences
MONTHS/HOURS: Full time, Administrative
STARTING SALARY RANGE: Commensurate with experience
AVAILABLE: July 1, 2019
POSTING DATE: April 1, 2019
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
DESCRIPTION: The Director of the Native Student Programs (NSP) Office is responsible for managing and coordinating all NSP work and activities. The Director develops a college-going culture amongst Native American elementary, middle, and high school students in the Inland Empire and Greater Los Angeles Area. Also, the Director engages Native American students, both at the University of Redlands and in the broader community, to promote learning, help students and families appreciate the importance of higher education, and support students on their journey to, at, and beyond university. As well, the Director works collaboratively with various university offices and community partners to accomplish NSP goals and entrepreneurially seeks additional opportunities that will support students. Reports directly to the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS).
RESPONSIBILITIES: Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Developing, implementing, and evaluating programs designed to inspire and support Native American students in appreciating the importance of lifelong learning.
• Establishing and maintaining networks with tribal communities, tribal education departments, K-12 schools, and community colleges to encourage Native American students to attend university and to recruit Native American students to the University of Redlands.
• Inviting prospective students and families to University of Redlands events and familiarizing them with the campus and its Native American support services; representing the University to prospective students and their families.
• Supervising the Assistant Director of NSP and NSP Administrative Assistant to meet collective goals for the Native Student Programs Office.
• With the Admissions Office, collaboratively planning recruitment, preparation activities, field trips, mentoring, and educational activities that address issues of university attendance, academic preparedness, empowerment, relationship to community, and intercultural competence.
• In partnership with the University Advancement Office, assisting in fund development initiatives to augment existing and develop new NSP projects.
• Participating in a University enrollment committee that awards four-year scholarships to Native American students.
• Performing other duties and special projects as assigned or directed.
• Bachelor’s degree is required; a Master’s degree is preferred.
• A minimum of three (3) years of professional experience working with Native American organizations and students is required.
• A demonstrated ability to lead a university office dedicated to supporting students’ academic and co-curricular success is required.
• Preference will be given to candidates with experience in outreach and enrollment initiatives promoting Native American university attendance and degree completion.
• Highly desired are demonstrated abilities: to create or further develop collaborative relationships with Southern California Native peoples and organizations; and to work effectively with tribal education departments.
Successful candidate must have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, as well as excellent written and oral communication skills. They must be able to work both independently and as a part of a team to handle multiple tasks and responsibilities simultaneously. A willingness to work non-traditional hours is essential.
INQUIRIES: Inquiries can be directed to Kendrick Brown, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, at Kendrick_brown@redlands.edu.
In compliance with The Americans with Disabilities Act, if selected for the interview process and accommodations are needed, please call (909) 748-8040.
TO APPLY: Submit a University of Redlands Administrator application form at: https://myredlandsapps.redlands.edu/HRAdministratorEmployment/.
FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT
SUBMISSION OF A RESUME OR APPLICATION INDICATES AGREEMENT THAT THE UNIVERSITY MAY VERIFY ANY AND ALL INFORMATION CONTAINED THEREIN
MEMBERS OF UNDERREPRESENTED GROUPS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER