For Family and Friends
Accommodations and dining
We recommend booking local accommodations early as hotel and dining reservations are in high demand and fill months before Commencement weekend; a list of dining options and local hotels is available here: redlands.edu/dining.
Dress for Commencement
The Commencement ceremony will take place outside at the Alumni Greek Theatre. Commencement day is usually warm, and there is no shade. Comfortable, low-heeled shoes are recommended as there is a considerable distance (some unpaved) between event locations, and the Alumni Greek Theatre has limited handrails and unevenly spaced steps.
For your convenience, water, soda and snacks will be available for purchase near the entrance to the Alumni Greek Theatre provided by the University's Town & Gown organization. The Irvine Commons will be open April 27, 2018, 1 p. m. - 5 p. m. for Grab N' Go items.
University Bookstore hours
Hours for the Bookstore located in Hunsaker University Center:
Thursday, April 25, 9 a. m. to 8:00 p. m.
Friday, April 26, 9 a. m. to 8:00 p. m.
Saturday, April 27, 9 a. m. to 8:00 p. m.
Lost and Found
Items should be claimed from or turned in to the Public Safety Office in the Willis Center.
Parking and street closures
Parking for the Commencement ceremony is available on the north side of campus. Follow the directional signs to Brockton Avenue and the designated parking areas behind Memorial Chapel, Armacost Library, Orton Center or the Stauffer Science Complex off of Grove Street. On April 25, 26, & 27 shuttle buses will be available from these lots to near the Alumni Greek Theatre. Colton Avenue, the street through the center of the campus, will be closed to through traffic. See the Parking Information page for maps.
Disabled guests are encouraged to park in any of the lots serviced by the Commencement shuttles. Please refer to the parking map and follow directional signs on the day of Commencement. Accessible shuttles are equipped with lifts and will service all parking lots indicated to transport guests to a drop-off location near the Alumni Greek Theatre. If you or your guest requires specialized assistance beyond what is outlined, please call the University’s Facilities Management department at 909-748-8020 by April 8, and we will work with you to meet your needs. Please refer family and friends to the parking map for more information and directions to campus and the Alumni Greek Theatre.
For your planning and safety
Please follow these tips to ensure that Commencement day is enjoyable for your graduation candidate and all who attend:
Due to space limitations, graduation candidates are asked to limit the number of family and friends in the Alumni Greek Theatre for the Commencement Ceremony to six people and direct others to the tent on the Gallery Lawn and in designated classrooms in the Hall of Letters, where the ceremony will be streamed live.
All events during Commencement weekend, both indoors and outdoors, are non-smoking events.
· Dress appropriately for the day. Most often, it is warm and sunny and little shade is provided in the Alumni Greek Theatre. Comfortable clothes and walking shoes are strongly recommended.
· The stairs in the Alumni Greek Theatre are steep with limited handrails, high-heeled shoes are discouraged.
· Strollers are not permitted in the Alumni Greek Theatre. Stroller parking is available at the back of the theatre.
· No pets are allowed in the Alumni Greek Theatre.
· Umbrellas are not permitted in the Alumni Greek Theatre because they inhibit the sightlines of surrounding guests. In the event of rain, check the University of Redlands website.
· Limited disabled seating is available at the back of the Alumni Greek Theatre for guests with special needs; one companion may accompany each guest in the disabled seating area. This may mean that families will need to separate.
· No inflatables or large signs are allowed in the Alumni Greek Theatre or the grounds surrounding the theatre.
· Aisles and entryways surrounding the Alumni Greek Theatre may not be blocked for any reason.
Questions? Email email@example.com or call the Office of the Provost at 909-748-8072.