Frequently Asked Questions


Do I need to complete the FAFSA every year? 

Yes! Student Financial Services depends on the timely completion of you Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can complete your FAFSA online at

When will I receive my financial aid award letter?

Once you are officially admitted, registered for classes, and we have a valid FAFSA on file (additional documentation may be required after submission) your financial aid award will be processed. You can expect to receive your award letter by email within 7-10 business days. You financial aid award letter will detail the funds that you are eligible to receive and any additional steps you will need to take to receive your funds. Make sure to read your letter carefully and follow any additional instructions provided.
How will I receive information from the University of Redlands? 

If Student Financial Services requires any additional information to complete your award file, we will be in touch with you via your Redlands email account. Within several weeks of your admission you should receive instructions regarding how to login and access your account. Certain federal regulations dictate that aid eligibility can be forfeited if certain critical deadlines are not met, so please check your email regularly!

How does my financial aid work?

Your program's financial aid award year is split into terms based on your enrollment. Your financial aid will disburse at the start of each class, as long as you are eligible for aid in that term. Your financial aid eligibility is contingent upon your registration in at least two classes (or at least 6 units) per term for undergraduate programs, and one class (or at least 3 units) per term for graduate programs. If you are currently "waived" from a core course and wish to be financial aid eligible in that term, please contact your School of Business and Society Student Service Manager to discuss options for filling this "gap." Redlands offers a number of elective courses in various instructional areas that you can utilize to remain financial aid eligible.

What are my next steps?

If you are packaged with loans, there will be a link included in your financial aid award letter giving you step-by-step instructions to complete the Federal Direct Loan Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling. You may complete these requirements online. Please note that both steps must be completed before your funds can be disbursed.

How will I be billed?

You will be billed on a class-by-class basis by Student Financial Services. You should receive a notification via email that a statement of account has been uploaded to your Student Finance (RedlandsPay) account within 5-10 business days after the start of each class. 
How do I pay for textbooks?

Textbooks are not covered unless additional loans and/or payments are made to the extent that they create a credit on your student account. Please keep in mind that credit refunds are not available until the first week of each term or as soon as we are in receipt of the funds. Students who need to purchase textbooks before that time will need to make separate arrangements until such time as the credit is refunded to them.

I have a credit on my student account. How (or when) do I get the funds?

If the amount of financial aid exceeds the amount of tuition and fees, you will have a credit on your account. This credit will be mailed to you within 14 days of the disbursement of your federal financial aid funds. If you hold a US Savings or Checking Account, direct deposit may be set up through MyRedlands.

Please note if there has been a recent schedule change, your financial aid will need to be re evaluated to ensure eligibility before a refund check will be issued to you.

What if I have previously borrowed student loans?

If you have previously borrowed student loans, the UOR Registrars Office will automatically report your half-time enrollment to your lender to place your loan in deferment. To be eligible you must be enrolled at least half-time in each term. Questions regarding verification of enrollment can be directed to the Registrars Office at 909-748-8019.

What happens if I withdraw from a class?

If you need to drop or withdraw from a class, please contact your Student Service Manager immediately. Remember, withdrawing from classes may impact your ability to receive financial aid, including University scholarships. Your account will be reviewed to see if a federal Return to Title IV worksheet needs to be completed to return any unearned funds to the Department of Education. Our office has 45 days to complete this process.

Will my personal information be released?

Our office takes great care to safeguard your personal information in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). We do not release protected personal information unless specifically authorized to do so. All students who wish to have their information accessible by specific family members or other designated persons should complete the Authorization for Release of Information form and submit it to the Registrar's Office.

What does it mean to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress?

Federal regulations require that colleges and universities evaluate Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) at least annually to determine your eligibility to receive financial assistance. See our Satisfactory Academic Progress pages below for more detailed information.

School of Business and Society and School of Education SAP Information

School of Music, GIS, and Communication Sciences and Disorders SAP Information