Request for IRS Confirmation of Non-Filing Letter
If the Office of Student Financial Services has notified you that a Confirmation of Non-Filing Letter is required to complete the verification process, please follow the instructions below on how to obtain this item from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
*Please note: Individuals who have never filed taxes will only be able to obtain this item by requesting through the mail (instructions included below).
1. Obtain online
- To make a request online, go to www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript. Click “Get Transcript Online” and make sure to read all required items. If a different language is needed, click on the needed language.
- If a login has already been created, continue by putting in your username. If a login has not been created, click “get started and follow instructions to create a login. After enrolling for the first time, enter the address exactly as it appears on your tax return.
- Once logged in or a login has been created, select the reason the transcript is needed: Higher Ed/Student Aid.
- The * symbol will indicate the availability of a Verification of Non- Filing Letter for the year. Click the year that you are requesting a Verification of Non-Filing letter for, and a pop-up will come up. Make sure that pop-up blockers are disabled for this feature.
- Please print letter and submit a copy to Student Financial Services with Student Name and ID #.
2. Obtain by phone
- To make a request by phone, contact the IRS to request a Letter of Non-Filing at:
Press # for desired language
Press “2” for tax Transcripts
Press “1” for tax Transcripts
Press “4” for Tax History
Press “2” for Tax History
Enter SSN or Tax ID #
If SSN or Tax ID# is not verified, wait on the line until a representative is able to assist you.
- Please print letter and submit a copy to Student Financial Services with the student name and ID #.
3. Obtain by mail
- To make a request by mail, complete IRS Form 4506-T.
- Check box 7.
- Mail the Form to the IRS. The Verification of Non-Filing Letter will be mailed to you within 10 Business Days.
- Once the Confirmation of Non-Filing Letter is received, submit a copy to Student Financial Services with student’s name and ID #.