Frequently Asked Questions


Do I have to reapply for Financial Aid every year?

Yes! Student Financial Services depends on the timely completion of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) so that we may award you with aid for each academic year. The deadline for receipt of the FAFSA each year is March 2nd. You may complete your FAFSA online.

I am going to receive scholarship funds from an outside source. Do I need to report the funds to Student Financial Services?

Yes, all sources of financial aid must be reported to Student Financial Services. If you are receiving external resources such as scholarships you will need to send verification of the scholarship to our office. You may fax, e-mail, or mail the official documentation.

How will my Financial Aid Package be affected if I live/move off-campus?

The Office of Student Financial Services will, first, adjust your Cost of Attendance (budget) to reflect living off campus. Next, your financial aid (student loans, grants, etc) will be reviewed to determine if the amount of aid previously awarded exceeds the new level of eligibility based on federal, state, and institutional policies. Typically if a student moves off campus they can expect to see a small decrease in grant funding.

Will Student Financial Services release my student information to my parents?

Student Financial Services takes great care in safeguarding your personal information in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). We do not release protected personal information unless specifically authorized to do so.

All students who wish to have their information accessible to parents or other designated persons should complete the Authorization for Release of Information form. Questions regarding this process should be directed to the Office of the Registrar at 909-748-8019. For more information, please visit The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act web site.

What should I do if my family has a reduction in income or other change of circumstances after we have filed the FAFSA?

Certain changes in family circumstances may affect a family's ability to pay educational expenses and can be used as the basis for a Special Circumstances Review. Eligible circumstances for review include, but are not limited to, loss or reduction of employment, separation or divorce, unusual medical expenses not covered by insurance and loss of benefits such as social security or child support.

Request for review must be documented using the Special Circumstances form. Requests will be reviewed by a Student Financial Services committee and will reach a decision in approximately two weeks. Please note: Students who wish to be considered for an appeal must file a FAFSA before an appeal can be considered.

What if I didn't receive work-study as part of my award package? Can I still find a job on campus?

Preference for student employment positions is always given to students who are awarded work-study as part of their financial aid package. For those students not awarded, Career Services solicits and posts part-time job opportunities in the community available to all students, whether or not they have a work award. While most jobs require you to provide transportation, some are within walking or biking distance.

How can I get money to pay for my textbooks?

Student Financial Services makes every attempt to provide a financial aid package that covers maximum educational expenses. Textbooks are not covered unless additional loans and/or payments are made to the extent that they create a credit on your student account. Textbooks may be purchased via a number of retailers and costs are not payable directly to the University.

If you wish to have additional loan funds to cover books, consider funding your account in excess of fixed expenses payable directly to the University. Most students who wish to pay for textbooks with financial aid will apply for loan in excess of their tuition and fees and use their credit. Please keep in mind that credit refunds are not available until the first week of each semester, or as soon as we are in receipt of the funds. Students who need to purchase textbooks before that time will need to make separate arrangements until such time as the credit is refunded to them. For more information on applying for loans to augment your financial aid package, see our payment options.

I have a credit on my student account. When will I receive the funds?

If the amount of your financial aid exceeds the amount of your tuition and fees, you will have a credit on your account. This credit will be mailed to your campus mailbox within 14 days of the disbursement of your federal financial aid funds. If the credit is due to a Direct PLUS Loan, the check will be sent to the person indicated on the PLUS application (student or borrower).

If the student holds a US Savings or Checking Account, direct deposit may be set up through WebAdvisor in MyRedlands.

What does it mean to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress?

Federal regulations require that colleges and universities evaluate satisfactory academic progress (SAP) at least annually to determine your eligibility to receive financial assistance. See our Satisfactory Academic Progress page for more detailed information.

What steps do I take if I need a ninth semester of aid?

Student Financial Services policies dictate that students are eligible for a maximum of eight semesters of institutional aid or the pro-rated amount remaining for transfer students. In the rare event that you are unable to complete your program of studies within eight semesters, you must petition to receive a ninth semester of financial aid.

Students will need to fill out an appeal for additional semester(s) of aid which must be completed by both the student and academic advisor. Students must complete a major evaluation and include a statement explaining circumstances meriting an additional semester of aid. Only petitions substantiating need due to circumstances beyond the student's control will be considered. Also, students may not petition for additional aid for the sole purpose of studying abroad or completing a double major. Please note: Appeals for additional semester(s) of aid may take up to two weeks to process. Final decisions will be communicated via Redlands e-mail.