To help every student I work with become the best counselor, teacher and/or administrator possible and instill in them the ultimate responsibility they will have advocating for each and every student they will come in contact with motivates me as an educator.
The theoretical and practical application of effective educational leadership which promotes being an agent of change as a counselor, teacher or administrator. This includes expertise and awareness in current social issues related to school safety, suicide prevention, anti-bullying, drug prevention, promoting social justice, and advocating for the success of all students.
Recent research has included presentations and workshops in the following areas: 1) The Various Roles of the High School Counselor
2) The Counselor as a Collaborator in Promoting Student Mental Health
3) African-American Student Experiences in Continuation Schools
4) Issues 1.5 Generation Female Mexican Students Face
5) Various Approaches to Bullying Prevention and Intervention
6) Promoting Social Justice Behavior in Education Settings
7) Training School Leaders in Promoting Educational Justice.
Background highlights included being
1) High School Counselor
2) High School Principal
3) Director of Child and Adolescent Behavioral Health programs
4) Therapist in private practice
5) U o R Professor.
Ed.D in Educational Administration and Leadership
M.S. in Marital and Family Therapy
B.S. in Behavioral Sciences
Licensed as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) in California since 1980
Credentialed as a School Counselor (PPS) in California since 1979.
Recent articles in peer reviewed journals:
1. "Erin Gruwell: Change Agent for Social Justice," Journal of Educational Leadership and Administration: Teaching and Program Development, January 2014 with Peter Lock.
2. "Examining Outcomes of Acute Psychiatric Hospitalization Among Children," Social Work in Mental Health Journal, 10:205-232, 2012, with Priya Tharayil (lead author), Sigrid James and Kimberly Freeman.
3. "Training School Leaders who will Promote Educational Justice," journal of the California Association of Professors of Educational Administration, Fall 2006 with Jose Lalas (lead author).
Chapter in book:
"Social Issues for Infants, Children and Adolescents," Many Voices: An Introduction to Social Issues. Andrews University Press, 2007 with M. Catherin Freier (lead author).
California Association of School Counselors
California Education Research Association
American School Counseling Association
California Association of Marital and Family Therapists