Verdieck Tennis Courts
Named after Jim Verdieck, the University of Redlands tennis courts honor a great coach and an impressive tradition of success. From 1946 through 1984, Verdieck coached the Redlands men's tennis team to 921 victories and only 281 defeats. His teams captured 34 titles in only 38 years of SCIAC competition and boasted 11 NAIA national championships and three NCAA titles. In addition, his football teams went 36-21-2 from 1953 to 1958. The Bulldogs proved perfect in 1956 with a 10-0 record.
Verdieck Tennis Courts include 10 competition courts, six of which are lighted for night play. In late 2002, the courts received a full facelift that included new windscreens and nets and were resurfaced in an inspiring coat of maroon and gray. The renovations came just in time to host the 2003 Division III Women's Tennis National Championships.
Since then, regular upgrades have taken place at Verdieck Tennis Courts, including the installation of new bleachers on the north side in the fall of 2009.
Verdieck Tennis Courts received the United States Tennis Association’s award for outstanding tennis facilities in 1998. In addition, the courts won an award from the International Tennis Association for excellence.
The Redlands tennis teams frequently compete in the NCAA National Tournament as well as host the postseason events. In 1998, 2000, and 2001, Redlands hosted the Men’s NCAA West Regional.
In addition to the University community, Verdieck Tennis Courts are open to dues-paying members of the Redlands Racquet Club.
For more information, please contact Head Tennis Coach Geoff Roche at 909-748-8417.