First Year Journeys
What is a First Year Journey?
First Year Journeys are pre-orientation adventure trips designed to help students make connections and learn life skills before entering college at Redlands. Our seven trip options offer students a variety of course areas and activities so there is something for everyone. Each group will consist of 10-12 students and 2-3 trip leaders. Read on for more specific information on each of the FYJ trips. The cost per student covers ALL expenses for five full days. (Scholarships that cover either half of the cost or full cost are available...contact us via email for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow the links for more specific information on each of the FYJ trips.
Why should I go on a First Year Journey?
First Year Journeys are designed to promote:
- A supportive relationship with peers
- A mentoring relationship with trip leaders
- A sense of community
- Readiness for college life
- Personal growth and reflection
- Leadership skills
- A connection to the natural world
- Responsibility for self and others
- Decision making skills
- Challenge and discovery
- Self-awareness and self-confidence
- Access to resources & organizations available to you at Redlands
- Knowledge of activities and direct application of new skills
- The time of your life!
"FYJ is the best thing you can do coming in as a freshmen. You arrive on campus, so freaked out but really excited and are immediately taken in by the OP trip leaders. You meet all the people going on your trip and all the other FYJ kids and realize, ‘Hey, these people are pretty cool. I think I'll fit in here.’"
- 2007 FYJ participant