The Office of Professional Development prepares students to be informed, focused, convincing and well-regarded leaders, team members and graduate students eager to contribute to professional fields and employers throughout all industries. With our emphasis on high quality personalized coaching and instruction, we transform individuals into proactive professionals better prepared to embrace, adapt to and drive change and productivity in an increasingly competitive, global economy. The office partners with faculty to integrate individual coaching and group instruction into academic programs of the University.
Coaching and instruction includes:
- Professional assessments – to foster self-awareness and guide decision-making
- Employment research – to explore and understand different industries, fields, and employers
- Internship/employment strategy – to proactively engage and secure opportunities
- Resumes, letters and portfolios – to effectively articulate qualifications and capabilities
- Interviewing and negotiation – to position properly for maximizing compensation and growth
- Referral management – to cultivate relationships which lead to internship and employment referrals
- Graduate school planning – to investigate and evaluate graduate and professional school options
- Personal statements – to write essays that clearly communicate applicant commitment and potential
The Office also works closely with employers and graduate/professional schools to provide employment and graduate program information of potential interest to students and alumni.