Varsity level student-athletes are not the only people encouraged to develop their athletic and leadership skills through competitive sports.
We offer a variety of intramural and outdoor programs designed to give athletes of all skill levels opportunities to compete, develop athletic skills and leadership.
Intramural programs typically change from semester to semester depending on student interest. Previous offerings have included flag football, ultimate Frisbee, softball, soccer, kickball, life jacket water polo and beach volleyball.
Students also are encouraged to explore the outdoors through programs that teach wilderness leadership and an appreciation and understanding of nature. Trips can last anywhere from a few hours to several days.
Some outdoor programs trips have included rock climbing, backpacking, bungee jumping, sea kayaking, hot air ballooning, biking, rafting, skiing, snowboarding, hiking, scuba diving, camping, sailing, surfing and fishing. Community service also is incorporated into some of the trips.
Students start new athletic and recreational clubs and organizations every year. Currently, the following clubs are active on campus:
- Cheer Team—offers students interested in cheerleading an opportunity to use their abilities and talents to cheer on Bulldog athletic teams
- Disc Golf Club—promotes and advances the sport of disc golf and allows any member of the campus community to experience the enjoyment and exercise the sport provides
- Doing Activities With Great Spirit (DAWGS)—serves to bring together a core group of students to support a variety of campus activities, including athletics, ASUR-run events, music programs and community service efforts
- Lacrosse Team (men’s)—offers students an opportunity to use their lacrosse abilities and talents
- Quidditch Team—offers students an opportunity to learn about and play Muggle Quidditch
- Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC)—serves to generate a student-athlete voice and provide a link between administration and athletes
- Soccer Club, an Original Redlands Experience (SCORE) — brings together the university and neighboring communities to play soccer
- Ultimate Frisbee Teams (men’s & women’s)—provides an opportunity for students to learn and play a non-contact sport based on sportsmanship and teamwork