Off Campus Approval Process
Want to live Off Campus? Read this:
Because we believe that students can and do learn from one another outside the classroom as well as inside, living on campus is an integral part of the Redlands experience. All students are required to live on campus for the duration of their undergraduate experience except in specific circumstances. The education students acquire from the social and interpersonal experiences of residential life plays a vital role in their total development. As a result, we are committed to the residential experience for all students.
All students interested in living off campus must submit an Off Campus Petition during the Housing Selection and Placement Process that occurs each spring in order to be approved off campus for the following academic year. ALL off campus petitions must be submitted via the Student Life portal, located in the top toolbar in myRedlands. No petitions will be considered midyear. In other words, even if you do not plan to live off campus until the following spring semester, you MUST apply before the deadline for the coming academic year. Students must receive permission from the Student Life Office to move off campus. Please see important application submission instructions at the bottom of this web page.
Note: Once you are approved for off-campus living, you are approved permanently (unless your approval is revoked due to violations of the Code of Student Conduct or academic/financial problems.) You never need to apply to live off campus again if you have been approved previously. However, if at any time you would like to return to on-campus living, you must notify Student Life so that we can get you back into on-campus housing.
Students are required to live on campus if they are not:
- Over 23 years old
- Living with their parents or close relatives near campus
- Married or in a domestic partnership
Any student who decides they need to live off campus for one of the above reasons (or to take a Leave of Absence, withdraw from the University, or defer enrollment) but did not inform us at least 45 calendar days prior to the start of the semester (the date is set at July 7, 2015 for Fall 2015 and November 27 for Spring, 2016) will sustain a $500 fine for holding an on-campus space that you will not be using.
- All students applying to live off campus (except those who meet the criteria for automatic approval listed above) MUST attend an off campus interest workshop in the year before you are approved. If you do not attend one of these workshops and pass the quiz administered at the end, your petition for off campus approval WILL NOT be considered.
- Remember that the vast majority of students, excluding those who meet an exemption and seniors in good conduct and academic standing, will be denied for off campus as part of our residential requirement.
- Navigate to myRedlands and log in as usual. (for tutorials on the new system, see: Housing Selection and Placement Process
- Select the Student Life link in the top toolbar in myRedlands.
- Fill out the Off Campus Petition.
- If you need to submit additional information, proof of residency, etc. please make sure you email them directly to Kim Morris in the Office of Student Life within 3 business days of completing your petition.
- For questions or concerns regarding the Off Campus Petition Process, contact Kim Morris at 909-748-8053.