Student Life

Admissions Procedures for Students with Learning Disabilities

student walking across the quad

Prior to receiving notification of acceptance to University of Redlands, applicants with disabilities applying to University of Redlands follow the same admissions procedures as students without disabilities and must submit application materials as requested by the Admissions Office. The Admissions Office will make its initial decision of acceptance in accordance with established admission standards. Initial decisions regarding acceptance will be made without regard to disability.

Students with disabilities desiring to enroll in any program, service or activity of the University of Redlands must be able to meet the standards of both the University and the particular program, service or activity to which admission is sought. Information provided during the admission process concerning an applicant's disability is kept in accordance with state and federal laws regarding privacy. Applicants who have questions regarding admission standards to the University of Redlands should contact the Admissions Office.

Students with disabilities who received services and accommodations on the basis of disability in high school, community college, or at another university are advised to obtain relevant information, including clinical evaluations, prior to enrollment at University of Redlands. High school students receiving special education services are recommended to meet with their IEP (Individualized Education Program) committee prior to their graduation to obtain a formal transition plan. Students are also advised to receive a clinical reevaluation, if needed, prior to enrolling at Redlands. We recommend this if the prospective student is considering graduate school because graduate schools will require updated information prior to admission. 

Under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act of 1997, students with disabilities enrolled in private schools, including parochial and home schools, are entitled to evaluative and special education services. Students and parents are encouraged to contact the principal or administrator of their local public high school if diagnostic testing or educational services are needed.
Please visit the following link regarding many of the differences students with disabilities may face when transitioning to college level living and learning: differences between high school to college.


If you have any questions regarding disability services, please call Academic Success and Disability Services at 909-748-8069 or contact Administrative Secretary, Julie Cauthron at, or Assistant Dean of Academics and Student Life, Amy Wilms at

Thurber, an English bulldog, is the University's mascot.

He is named after Clarence Howe Thurber, University president from 1933-37.

More »