Student Life

Travel for J-1 Students

Documentation Required for Travel and Reentry for J-1 Active Students:

  • A valid passport
  • A valid Visa
  • A valid Form DS-2019, signed recently for reentry by the RO/ARO. J-2 dependents must ensure that their DS-2019 is also signed for reentry. The validation will be valid for up to one year for all programs except short-term scholars which is only valid for six months.

If the exchange visitor’s visa in the passport is no longer valid, the student must apply for a new visa at a U.S. consulate or embassy in the student’s home country. If the student is traveling only to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean for 30 days or less, the student might be allowed to return to the U.S. in the same status J-1 without having to obtain a new visa. This is known as automatic extension of visa validity.

Quiet the Mind
meditation room

The University’s Meditation Room opened in 2007 and is one of the first “contemplative classroom” spaces in the country.

Read More »