To: University Community
From: Jeff Talbott, Director of Public Safety
Date: January 26, 2015
Subject: Security Alert - Assault Adjacent to Campus
At approximately 6:00 p.m. yesterday, a woman student reported being physically assaulted by an unknown man while jogging south of campus on Park Ave., near the railroad tracks behind the Theatre Arts Building. After being thrown down in the Theatre Arts parking lot, our student asked the assailant not to hurt her, at which time he fled towards University St. The student described the assailant as being in his early 20s, approximately six feet tall, with a medium build and dark complexion, wearing a long-sleeved t-shirt and blue jeans. Public Safety and the Redlands Police Department searched the area and are continuing to fully investigate this incident. Public Safety has been conducting additional patrol of the surrounding area as a precautionary measure.
If you have any information about this incident or any questions, please contact Public Safety at (909) 748-8888 or ext. 8888 from any campus phone. Any off-campus emergency should be reported to Redlands Police at 911.
As a reminder:
• Utilize the Buddy System when walking or exercising on or off campus.
• Stay in well-lighted areas and use the lighted pathways on campus as much as possible.
• Be aware of your surroundings at all times, on and off campus.
• Avoid and immediately report any suspicious individual or activity to Public Safety.
• If assaulted, scream, yell, try to attract attention, and tell the assailant not to harm you.
Our highest priority remains the safety and security of our campus community.