Prospective Students

How To Apply

Student in Hornby Hall

Who Should Apply as a Transfer Student?

Transfer students are those who have at least 24 transferrable semester units from a regionally accredited 2 or 4-year college or university. Students must also have graduated from high school, or have received their GED in order to apply, regardless of age or time away from school.

Click here to apply.

Since Redlands uses a holistic approach to reviewing applications, the profiles of admitted transfer students can vary greatly. However, a successful candidate for admission traditionally has two semesters of full-time course work. The average GPA of entering transfer students in 2010 was 3.19.

Please note that students who have graduated from high school, but do not have 24 transferrable semester units, will be reviewed as a freshman applicant, and must supply SAT I or ACT scores.

Transfer students must have completed the foreign language, math and English requirements in order to be admissible:

  • Students must have at least two years of a foreign language at the high school level, or one semester at the college level. Please note that grades below a "C" or 2.0 are not considered passing.
  • Students must have successfully completed Algebra 2/Intermediate Algebra or higher at either the high school or college level.
  • Students should complete Freshman Composition (usually English 100 or 101) prior to applying.

Which Classes Will Transfer?

Generally, introductory courses are a safe bet, but students should never assume that a course will transfer. We find that our most successful students are those who meet with us and check in regularly about their class choices and academic progress.

Students may transfer up to 66 units from a 2-year school and 96 units from a 4-year college or university. We advise students to use their credit allotment to complete the majority of their Liberal Arts Foundation requirements. Occasionally, student can also complete some of the introductory level requirements for their major or minor, but should check with an Admissions Counselor before registering.

  • For more information about the Liberal Arts Foundations and completing them as a transfer student, please see our Liberal Arts Foundations page.
  • Redlands has also created several transfer agreements with local community colleges, which outline courses that are guaranteed to transfer. If you do not attend one of these schools, you can still use the articulation agreements as general guides.

When Should I Apply?

The University of Redlands processes fall transfer applications on a space available basis. All transfer applicants should apply no late than March 1st. Spring applicants should apply no later than November 1st.

However, there are other deadlines for Transfer Applicants, mostly relating to scholarships and financial aid.

How do I Apply?

Step 1: Complete the Application

 The Common Application is now only available online. To obtain a paper copy, please contact the Office of Admissions.

Step 2: Submit an Instructor Evaluation

The Instructor Evaluation form should be completed by an academic college instructor, and sent to the Office of Admissions. Academic subjects include math, science, English, history, foreign language, humanities and social sciences. Please note that recommendations from coaches, club advisors, music directors or other extra-curricular advisors are generally not accepted as primary recommendations. You are welcome, however, to submit them as secondary recommendations.

Transfer students who have not attended school for some time, and will be unable to request an academic recommendation, should contact an Admissions Counselor to discuss alternative options.

The instructor submitting the recommendation on your behalf should have taught you in an academic subject at the school you are attending or last attended. If you are a recent high school graduate, and will be submitting a teacher recommendation from a high school teacher, please use the Teacher Evaluation form.

The form should be submitted to the Office of Admissions.

Step 3: Submit Your Official High School Transcript

An official, endorsed transcript of your high school work must be sent directly from your high school to the university. Transcripts that are mailed or hand-delivered by the student are not considered official. Transcripts should be submitted by a school official via Common Application or mailed to the admissions office:

            University of Redlands
            Office of Admissions
            PO Box 3080
            Redlands, CA 92373


Step 4: Submit Your Official College Transcripts

Please submit an official transcript from all community colleges or universities you have attended. This includes courses taken concurrently while in high school or during the summer. Please note that students who have graduated from high school, but do not have 24 transferrable semester units, will be reviewed as a freshman applicant.

The official, endorsed copy of the transcript should be sent directly from the college or university to our office. Transcripts that are mailed or hand-delivered by the student are not considered official. Transcripts should be mailed to admissions office:

            University of Redlands
            Office of Admissions
            PO Box 3080
            Redlands, CA 92373


Step 5: Submit Additional Forms, As Needed

Some students, including those students planning to participate in specialty programs within the university, must submit additional applications or forms. These include:

Step 6: Schedule a Visit

We welcome visits—in fact, we think your campus visit will tell you a lot more than we can in print or on the Web. Consider visiting during your spring break or whenever your schedule allows, and note that if you're applying to the School of Music, you should audition on one of the Audition Saturdays.

See our Visiting the Redlands Campus page for more information.

Step 7: Explore Financial Aid

If you're applying for need-based financial aid, make sure to complete and submit your admissions application to Redlands by January 15th.

You can begin the actual financial aid process Jan. 1st, which is the earliest you may submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid The FAFSA, as it's called, should be submitted by March 2nd to the Department of Education. Our U.S. Department of Education Institutional Code is 001322.

California residents should also complete the Cal Grant GPA verification form by March 2. This form is available at your current school. You may also request the form from the Office of Financial Aid.

How large is the main campus?
160 acres

The campus of the University of Redlands covers 160 acres.