Parents & Families


Student reading in Hall of Letters Browsing Room

When do students register?

New students will register for the Fall semester at the end of New Student Week.

How do they register?

To register for classes, new students will come to the Jones Computer Center during their registration period as posted in the First Year Students Orientation Handbook.  If they miss their assigned registration time, they may register with the next group.  First Year Students Orientation Handbook will be given to each new student at Check-In.

Can I receive a copy of my student's grades?

Yes, under the following conditions.

Dependent Students

Legal restrictions require parents or legal guardians of dependent students to obtain a copy of their student's academic record only when a written request and proof of dependency is submitted to the Registrar's Office. This must be done once a year.

Two options for proof of dependency are available to parents:

  • Have the dependent student come to the Registrar's Office and complete an Authorization for Release of Information form.
  • Complete an Access to Student Educational Records by Parents of Dependent Students form (including notarization) and submit photocopies of the parent's latest IRS 1040 (you may block out dollar amounts but must show claim of dependent child and parent's signature).

Independent Students

In order for a parent of an independent student to receive grades, the independent student must come to the Registrar's Office and complete an Authorization for Release of Information form to request that grades be sent to a parent or guardian.

What is the Johnston Center for Integrative Studies?

The Johnston Center for Integrative Studies--a true living-learning community where students are responsible for their own education--is an academic option within the University’s College of Arts and Sciences.

Students can design their own majors in consultation with faculty, and they write contracts for their courses and receive narrative evaluations in lieu of traditional grades. It’s innovative, challenging and inspiring.

Questions? Contact the Office of Admissions.

Are tutors available for my student?


Yes. Your student can pick up a Tutor Request Form from the Academic Success Office.  Writing tutors are available during drop-in hours in the Tutoring Center. There is no charge for tutoring.


What is the community service requirement?

At Redlands, community service is a big part of our way of life. Students are required to complete an 80-hour community service learning activity that can either be integrated into the curriculum or available outside the curriculum—so that every student has a chance to stretch, give, learn new skills and serve someone else.

At the heart of our outreach efforts are our student service clubs. Together, these groups contribute 65,000 hours each year--service sites have been as far away as Africa or as nearby as Franklin Elementary School in the city of Redlands.

What is the Study Abroad Program?

From the heart of London to the outback of Australia, from Austria to Zimbabwe, international study programs are unforgettable—which is just one reason about half of our students choose to study abroad.

With more than 100 programs, covering every inhabited continent, your student can experience the sounds, smells, language, politics and people of another culture.

For more information, please contact the Office of Study Abroad Programs at (909) 748-8044.

How large is the main campus?
160 acres

The campus of the University of Redlands covers 160 acres.