Public Safety Advisory - Jan. 18, 2011
To: University Community
From: Mark Emoto, Interim Director of Public Safety
Date: January 18, 2011
Subject: Public Safety Advisory
In our continued efforts to keep you informed on matters related to your safety, the following information is being shared with the University community.
A female student reported to Public Safety that on Sunday, January 16, 2011, at about 12:30 a.m., she was walking alone north on Grove St. near the orange groves when she was accosted and sexually assaulted by two males. At this time it is unknown who the suspects are or whether they are students or non-students. The descriptions given by the student are two Caucasian males, both in their 20’s, both wearing dark clothing.
Redlands Police was notified of this incident. Public Safety will be increasing its patrol presence in the area of the orange groves and Alumni House. Students are cautioned to avoid walking alone near or in the orange groves.
Please review the following personal safety reminders:
- Avoid walking alone at night—walk with a friend and know whom you are walking with
- If you see suspicious persons in the path of where you are walking, do not walk towards or past them—turn around or go in a different direction, and call Public Safety.
- Travel in well lit areas of the campus
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Use the on-campus shuttle during evening hours—909-907-2820
- Carry your emergency whistle (which can be obtained free from Student Life)
- Immediately report any suspicious persons or activities to Public Safety 909-748-8888
- Don’t hesitate to use the Emergency Blue Light phones around campus that automatically connect you with Public Safety
At Public Safety, our highest priority remains the safety of our campus community. If you have any information regarding this case, you are asked to contact Public Safety at 909-748-8888 or ext. 8888 from on-campus phones.