Public Safety Advisory - Dec. 7, 2010
To: University Community
From: Mark Emoto, Interim Director of Public Safety
Date: December 7, 2010
Subject: Public Safety Advisory
In our continued efforts to keep you informed on matters related to your safety, the following information is being shared with the University community.
A female student reported that on Sunday, December 5, at about 1:00am, she was sexually assaulted on campus by a male (non-student) whom she had met for the first time earlier in the evening. During the investigation the suspect was subsequently identified and arrested by Redlands Police detectives. The suspect does not reside nor attend school in the area.
Public Safety, Redlands Police Department and Student Life have been working collaboratively during the course of this ongoing investigation. We are in the process of issuing the male suspect a notice prohibiting him from being on our campus.
Please review the following personal safety reminders:
- Avoid walking alone at night–walk with a friend or know who you are walking with
- At night, travel in well lighted areas of the campus
- Use the on-campus shuttle during evening hours—909-907-2820
- Don’t allow strangers into the residence halls
- Lock your resident hall room doors
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Carry your emergency whistle (which can be obtained free from Student Life)
- Immediately report any suspicious persons or activities to Public Safety 909-748-8888
- Be aware of the Emergency Blue Light phones around campus that automatically connect you with Public Safety
At Public Safety, our highest priority remains the safety of our campus community. If you have any information regarding this case, you are asked to contact Public Safety at 909-748-8888 or ext. 8888 from on-campus phones, or the Redlands Police Department at 909-798-7681.