Building Access & Security
- Don't prop open building or residence hall doors/windows. Rectify these situations when you observe them.
- Don't leave keys unattended or give them to unauthorized persons.
- Secure all sensitive material/information when not able to attend to it.
- Secure sensitive deliveries in a timely manner.
- Secure all buildings when not being used.
- Report unfamiliar persons in or visitors to your office/lab/residence hall, etc.
- Be Prepared: Take time out to familiarize yourself with building evacuation plans/routes.
- Report suspicious tampering with physical security (doors, locks etc.)
- Talk with co-workers; know what is out-of-place (unclaimed items etc.)
Access to Campus Buildings
All residence halls are locked 24 hours a day and are accessible only to resident key holders. Telephones for on-campus calling are outside each residence hall and may be used during emergencies or by visitors to contact residents for admission to the hall by dialing that resident's telephone number. During extended breaks exterior door locks are changed and not accessible with the regular key issued to students.
Other campus buildings, such as laboratories and classrooms, are typically open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily, unless night classes are scheduled. After hours, Faculty members and/or Department Chairs must authorize access to classrooms.
Routine safety, fire equipment and security checks are conducted in residence halls by Public Safety officers. Annual Fire Safety and Equipment inspections are conducted by Public Safety and the Redlands Fire Department.
If you have questions about a particular area, please contact the Department of Public Safety at ext. 8888.