Public Safety Advisory - Feb. 11, 2014
To: University Community
From: Jeff Talbott, Director of Public Safety
Date: February 11, 2014
Subject: Safety Bulletin - Campus Parking Lot Vehicle Theft
On Monday, February 10, 2014, a University of Redlands student reported their locked personal vehicle had been stolen from the campus parking lot between Grove Street and Appleton Hall during the brief time period between 12:30 pm and 1:00 pm. It was subsequently learned a University employee had noticed the vehicle being driven out of the parking lot at 12:40 pm by a light skinned male who appeared to be 18-20 years of age. The vehicle was last seen traveling east on Clock Street from Grove Street. Later that same afternoon, an employee of Bon Appetit reported their locked personal vehicle had been tampered with while parked in the campus parking lot behind the tennis courts sometime between 6:30 am and 1:45 pm. Inspection of that vehicle revealed someone had attempted to start it by forcibly damaging the ignition lock. Two books and a laptop computer which had been concealed under the driver's seat of the vehicle were missing. Public Safety and the Redlands Police Department investigated both incidents.
As a reminder, the University Community is urged to take precautions for personal safety and the safeguarding of your property.
• Be aware of any suspicious or loitering individuals around campus parking lots.
• Lock the doors of your vehicle when leaving it unattended.
• Refrain from leaving any items of value in plain sight within your vehicle.
• Immediately report any suspicious persona or activities to Public Safety.
• Utilize the anonymous Campus Tip411 text system to report non-emergency messages to Public Safety.
Our highest priority remains the safety and security of our campus community members. If you have any questions or information, please contact Public Safety at (909) 748-8888 or ext. 8888 from any campus phone.